bah! i have bad timing :( (no more JMTaudio)
Feb 24, 2006 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

deez

Head-Fier
so close to the answer for a portable amp and i learn JMTaudio is no more.
<
blink.gif
>
well... is there another comparable buy? i've seen the "penguin" amps on ebay that look similar, but that means nothing really. who can point me in the direction of the best portable (~$100) thanks in advance for any input
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 6
All of the little portable amps have their fans, but if it were me, I would wait for one of the following to appear on the for sale forum:

Pimeta with 8620 - my favorite for sound quality (yes, I have one of JMT's).

Porta Corda II - also very good, plus has crossfeed and a belt clip. But if you have sensitive headphones, the gain may be too high.

Xin Super Dual - very compact, rechargeable, has bass boost and crossfeed (and impedance switch for ER-4P users). Sound is pretty good though IMO not quite up there with the above.

...or you could DIY one for yourself.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 6
that portable pimeta actually looks like possibly the best option. i've also been recommended the shellbrook audio portable, the mini head, which looks nice and seems fairly well-built.

http://www.shellbrooklab.com/mini-head.html
comments?

thanks everyone for your responses.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
All of the little portable amps have their fans, but if it were me, I would wait for one of the following to appear on the for sale forum:

Pimeta with 8620 - my favorite for sound quality (yes, I have one of JMT's).

Me too, enjoying one of JMT's Pimetas (switched to OPA627s though). Too bad he quit making amps, he was one of the best.

P.S. I've always been impressed by the price of those $100 Rockhopper portable Pimetas. Very nicely priced for what you get IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back