Badly in need of purchase advice.
May 15, 2004 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve decided to treat myself to a nice pair of $200 cans and am having trouble deciding what to get. I currently have a pair of Grado sr-80’s, and while loving them to death, it’s about time I moved onward and upward. I’m currently split between the ety er-4p($226) and the senn hd580’s ($160). My equipment consists of a Rio karma, audigy platinum, and rolls ha-43 amp. Since I’m on somewhat of a budget, I wasn’t planning on upgrading any of that. Whichever I decide to get it’ll be used in a stationary position no more than several feet from my desk and isolation nor comfort is a factor.
So when it comes down to brass tacks, what’ll give me more listening pleasure?, the ety’s or the senns for the equipment I have. I'm looking for a marked improvement over my grado's, and of course $66 cheaper is no laughable sum of money.

Any rants, raves, opinions, or advice is greatly appreciated, as I’m currently lost in a sea of ambiguity and subjectivity.

May 15, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #2 of 13
Concidering your source's and amp, I would go for etys rather than hd580 from those 2. HD580/600/650 all need decent/good amp to sound good, and your source is weak link also for them.

May 15, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 13
If you like your Grados, and are thinking of the Senn HD580's, why not go for a set of cans that sonically meld the qualities of both, are fairly easily driven (55 ohms) can be had for about half of your budget ($100 NEW), and give so much listening pleasure that many call them their "Groovalizer"? I am recommending the AKG K240S. They incorporate the detail and impact of the Grados with the refinement of the Senns in an overall very musical and involving package. They have replaced my Grado SR225's as my primary listening cans at home. As a bonus, the K240S are VERY comfy. Because of their capacity for both impact AND refinement they are good for musical genres across the board. Put that other $100 away toward future improvements to the rest of your audio system. If you'd like some ideas for a sound system built from "Sweet Spots", with inexpensive components and overall better system performance than you'd think it should have, take a look at the rig in my sig. Something to consider.

May 15, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 13
I say go for the HD580 because of convenience and comfort. If you don't need isolation or super analytical headphones, do not bother with the er-4. They might not be worth the hassle of learning how to fit them and to maintain them.

May 15, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 13
The HD580/600/650 really do require a lot to shine. Any of them would be a nice smooth option in opposition to your Grados. I say Etys though. They're more opposite. Portable, analytical, closed, neutral, etc. And they also sound great even with high bitrate lossy files and a portable.

May 15, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Here's another option to throw into the mix. How about considering the Beyer dt770's. They are not as laid back the Senn sound, closer to the sound of the Grados, are very comfortable, and in your budget. I've recently seen the 300ohm version priced at $165, new & the 80ohm version at $199.

All of this really depends on what type of music you like to listen to & if you prefer an open, or closed style headphone.

- augustwest

May 15, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Thank you all for the advice thus far, but I feel there’re some things I should clarify. I really love the grado’s for what they do well(rock), but have long been somewhat unimpressed with their classical performance. I feel that I am really looking for a can to supplement the grado’s and substitute in the places where they are lacking. I chose the ety’s and senns as contenders because they both seem to have a reputation for being strong in the musical styles I’m interested in. For me, source upgrades aren’t out of the question, but they probably won’t happen till months or a few years down the road.

Some rather interesting headphones were mentioned which warrant checking out, but even at this point I don’t seem to have a consistent answer as to which cans would be better driven by the equipment I currently have.

May 15, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 13
senn 600's

you'll never look back

i am totally content after searching through myriad of cans

i know there's better, but these do it all for me.

i listen to everything from madvillian to frank zappa to mahler to cat power to thelonious monk to fugazi to wu tang to beethoven

May 15, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Now that you have clarified things some, by all means go for the HD580's, or 600's. I do the same sort thing that you describe. I use my Grado SR225's, for non-classical, and my HD600's for classical. The HD600's are a great phone for classical, with a very luxurious sound stage that is perfectly suited for classical listening.

-augustwest

May 15, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 13
I had the Rolls HA43 amp at one point, and it made my ears bleed... it must be the harshest, thinnest sounding amp available at any price. I'd recommend an amp upgrade before thinking about HD580s... take a look at Norm's most recent offerings at www.headsave.com . Even one of the $60 portable amps in a mint tin should sound worlds better than the HA43.

If that sounds like too much, go for the Etys unamped. The Rolls will drive HD580s with plenty of power, but I doubt you'll be pleased with the combo.

May 16, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #13 of 13
After much internal conflict, i've finally decided to get the er-4p's. Can anyone point me out a good place to buy them new for cheap? Also, does anyone have any extra info on the p to s adaptor cable(where to buy/how to make)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back