Bada Ph12 220V
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I live in Norway, where we use 220V instead of 110V. I found the Bada for sale @ Pacific Valve & Electric Company Home Page with option for 220V instead of 110V. Sweet, I thought! Cuz let's face it - what are the chances of me bumping into a 220V version on the "for-sale-forum" here?

So, I asked how much the shipping would be to Norway, and they told me $165 !! And that's on top of the $520 which is the sale-price. So, that's a total of $685 for the whole unit - shipped.

Is it worth it...?
tongue.gif
I mean - a stepdown-converter + a used unit would be much more reasonable. But then again, I'm sceptical to the whole idea of converting the power (loss?) instead of direct power...

I will be using it out from a Beresford MK6/4 (which will arrive shortly) and have the MDR-SA5000's plugged into the Bada
wink.gif
Anyone tried this combo? I've read there's a great amount of different tubes to try out as well. I had the Little Dot 2+ before, and it got really warm. Does the Bada get THAT warm?

Anyway, high five to all head-fiers out there. The journey towards the ultimate sound is neverending, but it only gets better as we travel. "It's a glorious mess, and I love it" (quote from catscratch)
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Oct 30, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I live in Norway, where we use 220V instead of 110V. I found the Bada for sale @ Pacific Valve & Electric Company Home Page with option for 220V instead of 110V. Sweet, I thought! Cuz let's face it - what are the chances of me bumping into a 220V version on the "for-sale-forum" here?

So, I asked how much the shipping would be to Norway, and they told me $165 !! And that's on top of the $520 which is the sale-price. So, that's a total of $685 for the whole unit - shipped.

Is it worth it...?
tongue.gif
I mean - a stepdown-converter + a used unit would be much more reasonable. But then again, I'm sceptical to the whole idea of converting the power (loss?) instead of direct power...

I will be using it out from a Beresford MK6/4 (which will arrive shortly) and have the MDR-SA5000's plugged into the Bada
wink.gif
Anyone tried this combo? I've read there's a great amount of different tubes to try out as well. I had the Little Dot 2+ before, and it got really warm. Does the Bada get THAT warm?

Anyway, high five to all head-fiers out there. The journey towards the ultimate sound is neverending, but it only gets better as we travel. "It's a glorious mess, and I love it" (quote from catscratch)
L3000.gif

How much cheaper would it be to get the used PH-12 w/a step-down converter? I feel the same way as you about "direct" vs. "secondary" power, but I know of others who use converters without apparent problems.

Never tried the MDR-SA5000/Bada PH-12 combination, but wished I had! : ) I've had excellent success driving the 40 ohm Ultrasones w/the Bada, and I expect that the 70 ohm Sonys might do well, too. The Bada gets very hot, and the feeling of most Bada owners on these forums is (a) that the amp's internal "micro-fan" cooling is both noisy and ineffective and (b) active cooling, i.e. use of an external fan, is needed.

Actually, there is a wealth of information on the existing Bada thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bad...ann-bc-134242/.

If/when you get your Bada, please let us know which one you opted for (220v or 110v) and your first impressions! : ) You'll get a lot more meaningful exposure if you post on the thread given above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back