Bada ph-12
May 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HendrixMan

New Head-Fier
Hei

New here :)

Have a bada ph-12 that plays really nice with my AKG k-702 , warm detailed sound, like it a lot.

But it gets so warm... is that a problem? i mean how many hours can one listen before it gets dangerously warm?

Also first time i turned it on, got warm and smells a bit like glue?! what is this??  it does play really nice but i wonder about this heat issue.

my headphone has an impedance of 62 ohms , should i then use the high or low setting in the amp?? guess low right?

thanks a lot,

May 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 6
They reviewed here on Head-Fi 8 years ago...

www.head-fi.org/t/161322/mini-review-bada-ph-12

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 6
The Bada PH-12 has an internal fan built in.  Theoretically, the fan should kick on when the temperature gets hot enough to damage the internals.  Your fan may not be operating properly.
To be honest, I [and several other Bada users] found the little internal fan pretty useless.  Instead, I bought a quiet 6" desk fan for constant cooling of the unit. Just aim the fan directly at the amp from the front [or rear] and make sure there is good flow around the unit.
My Bada--extensively improved by Fitz--is still going strong,  It was a very good match for my K701 [when I owned them years ago], but it is now proving a superb match for my AKG K812.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Did'nt see this thread until now,

The fan is useless, I disconnected it and have used a Noctua SF-12B FLX fan for years now and below it's rated spec, it was the quietest at the time. I had an open bottomed and backed slate box made for it when I lived in Spain very cheap and lined it with bitumen to dampen noise the fan sits on damped wooden slats beneath to improve air flow and crucially the bottom plate is removed. This means the amp runs very cool.

Do try to get to get hold of some K73-16 Russian mil spec caps either 1uF or o,47uF coupling caps. No need to take out the PCB just destroy the Wima caps and keep the existing legs as long as possible and solder the new caps to these you will not believe the difference in the quality of sound to cap it off shunt the Alps Blue with a pair of Naked Z foils - no need to look for another amp - you will be more than satisfied.

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 6
See this Bada thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/134242/bada-ph12-vis-a-vis-meixing-mc66ae-and-lehmann-bc

Do not take a tube out of it until it has been turned off for at least 12 hours (I wait 20 or more hours). Mosfets get shorted out if you remove a tube before power capacitors drain over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back