Bad Info at HDCD Site !
Sep 17, 2002 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Erz

New Head-Fier
After reviewing the available HDCD's at the following link,

http://www.hdcd.com/music_catalog/welcome.asp

I ordered Hall & Oates Abanadoned Luncheonette from Amazon. I have since received the CD and it is NOT a HDCD. I have 2 more YES Cd's coming right behind them and now have my doubts these will be HDCD either. Anybody know a good site where I can get VALID info on HDCD availability.

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
hmmm hdcd.... *caugh* gimmick *caugh*

What's so "gimmicky" about improved sound quality?

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Erz
After reviewing the available HDCD's at the following link,

http://www.hdcd.com/music_catalog/welcome.asp

I ordered Hall & Oates Abanadoned Luncheonette from Amazon. I have since received the CD and it is NOT a HDCD. I have 2 more YES Cd's coming right behind them and now have my doubts these will be HDCD either. Anybody know a good site where I can get VALID info on HDCD availability.

I don't know about the Hall & Oates, but I can explain the Yes. There are limited edition remasters available, and -- here's the tricky part -- Japanese import only. You need to go to someplace like Artist Shop and make sure you purchase the right ones. The domestic ones sound relatively worse.

Probably something similar is going on with the H&O.

Oct 5, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 10
I agree that the information is pretty bad. I recently found two hdcd's in my collection(Days of the New III and Deadsy's Commencement) that were unmarked and not on the HDCD site. I just discovered it from random when the HDCD logo in Windows Media Player popped up after playing them in my computer.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuonela
I recently found two hdcd's in my collection(Days of the New III and Deadsy's Commencement) that were unmarked and not on the HDCD site. [Emphasis mine. - Ed.]

Thanks for the heads-up, I have that one, and didn't realize it was HDCD encoded.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 10
I tried this and it worked
biggrin.gif
but my soundcard craps out on the extreme highs and lows
frown.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Had the same experience with Steely Dan's Two Against Nature - I sent them an e-mail about it and they checked it and pulled it from their listing when they found it wasn't HDCD-encoded. The guy at Microsoft said they'd send me a complimentary HDCD sampler which hasn't ever arrived (not that I'm worried). The album's still a winner, tho'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back