Bacon! (not Kevin)
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 108
Mmmmm, bacon.
biggrin.gif

My wife and I both love bacon, cooked crispy. BLTs are a favorite meal, especially in summer when the tomatos are fresh and plentiful.

I made a pasta dish a couple weeks ago that turned out awesome, with garlic, bacon, canned diced tomatos, red wine, tomato paste, and capers. Toss with hot pasta, serve with a salad and glass of red wine. Vegetarians will weep!

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #18 of 108
The reason why bacon taste so good because it is fat that has a smoke flavor.
I just grilled a dry aged prime steak with chunks of wood that you can buy at a good hardware store (make sure its for cooking and not treated with chemicals). The wood chunks gave the steak a bacon like flavor because the smoke permeated the fat of the steak. It was excellent. A couple weeks ago, I did a Texas stlye beef brisket, which is similar to bacon because it is the belly meat and I smoked it with hickory wood for a few hours and sliced it thin, just like how bacon is sliced thin. It was excellent as it tasted like beef flavored with a little bacon.

I like crispy bacon but bacon that's not too crispy and wrapped with sushi rice is good. Or just on top of the white rice on a dish. Top with some fresh chives or chopped green onions. Delicious.

Save your bacon fat and use it to pan fry salmon. It's delicious. Bacon fat is delicious also to make fried rice too.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 108
Thanks beerguy0,
I think I found what to eat for the dinner today.
Going off for olive oil and bacon right now.
I will pick it up when they have bacon wrapped cigar. Should be crispy and cuban.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #20 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a well-known fact; nothing burps like bacon!

O hell yeah. Much like getting bacon bits caught in my mustache, bacon burps carry that fresh flavor back to me all day long.

So on a leaf of fresh romaine lettuce, place two slices of crispy bacon, add a slice of watermelon (no seeds or rine) on top, then a thin slice of lox on top of that, sprinkled with a bit of pepper and garnish with heart medicine. MMMM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBaconBlog
Bacon No. 5: Hempler's Peppered Bacon

Hempler's Peppered Bacon arrived yesterday. It's thick-cut, looks like a pastrami, and is far lower in fat than its predecessors because it's mostly meat (they say the bellies are trimmed before curing — huzzah from one who's been eating pure pork fat for the last four months). Hempler's is wet-cured, maple- and hickory-smoked, and flavored with black pepper, mustard seed, paprika, and onion powder: this is by far the most gussied-up bacon I've received from the Grateful Palate's Bacon of the Month club. It comes to us from Washington state.

I was inspired to plant myself at my desk at 4pm on a Friday afternoon by a sandwich I just made with this bacon. Normally at 4pm on a Friday I'm in the back yard with the family and the dog and a beer, throwing tennis balls around, looking up at airplanes, and helping people point the hose into the kiddie-pool. Today, however, a confluence of events steered me into the kitchen for a mid-afternoon snack: the wife is away watching the new Harry Potter, the tot isn't moving from the Curious George marathon she's arranged for herself, my new "cereal for breakfast and lunch" diet has me seeking the support of door frames and banisters all the time, and we had a leftover "artisanal" sandwich roll so light and velvety to the touch that I could not bear to watch it go stale. "Why not make a sandwich and do a bacon update," I thought, as I cracked open a nice chilly beer. "We've got that three dollar heirloom tomato, after all."

In The Reach of a Chef, Michael Ruhlman contrasts the cooking of Thomas Keller (driven, tortured, laborious, masochistic yet sadistic, and highly technical) and Masa Takayama (zen-simple sushi, served only omakase style, most dishes prepared in seconds). The philosophy of my sandwich was in the latter camp. I've been overthinking bacon thus far in the experiment. It is inherently a good, finished product and it needs little adornment or technique to guide it into its state of perfection. Case in point:

1 The aforementioned "prince of rolls," something like a personal ciabatta, sliced and lightly toasted, slipper-softness is key
3 Slices thick bacon, cooked but not crisp
2 Thin slices heirloom tomato, never refrigerated, pulp gently massaged out
1-2 tbsp Mayonnaise to lightly coat inside of sandwich
1/2 tsp or so Cream-style horseradish to work into mayonnaise
salt and pepper to season dressed bread before filling

We didn't need to turn it into lardons for Coq au Vin. We didn't need to purée it and use it to caulk red mullet into papillote. We didn't need Grant Achatz to dangle it off a miniature fishing rod while strapping dorsal fins to our backs. This was a BLT. Some L would have been nice, but I was out. Did you notice the horseradish? You might know it as that searing, unbroken condiment that ruins many a plate of beef. This tiny amount, worked into mayonnaise, is gentle, warm, and just a bit spicy. Please, pick up a little jar of it. I think the cream-style preparation is even milder than the others you find on the shelf. Rediscover horseradish. I think it's going to have a big 2008.

This is a sandwich bacon. It's not the thin sort that you wrap around things. It's big and meaty and rewarding to chew through. This will likely be a strong sandwich month here at the Bacon Blog. I won't disappoint you by doing a bunch of hackneyed California stuff with avocados and boneless skinless chicken breasts. I may finally work out a banh mi for my common-grocery honkeys, and how about a proper breakfast burrito? I grew up on those, and I have iron-fisted opinions about what should and should not be.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #22 of 108
^ i'm surprised your tongue isn't your favourite organ, "spareribs"
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #23 of 108
Once you go *thick* cut bacon, you never go back to the thin stuff. Seriously, go to your local deli & score a bunch. You'll love it!

For an artery-busting treat, try fried cheese wrapped in bacon.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #24 of 108
Here's my idea: A thick 20oz medium rare steak, sliced on the edge to create a pouch, and stuffed with chopped bacon and every kind of cheese you can find. Stuffed meaning that the steak becomes at least 4" thick due to the BACON!(and cheese)

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 108
^ I do believe that this individual should be nominated for the Nobel Prize posthaste...

Seriously though, this thread is just hilarious, the bacon concoctions posted here are some of the most intriguing ideas I've seen on Head Fi in awhile. I mean bacon and watermelon?
biggrin.gif

That aside, I'm not that much into bacon, I prefer roast beef, but when bacon is combined with cheese... well that I can't argue against.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #27 of 108
mmm... bacon.... how i miss american breakfast...

(by the way, i was reading this and laughing, and the two girls that share the office with me asked what was i reading... i told them, but i don't think they get the appeal of bacon... :p )

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #28 of 108
I went to the store and did not find anything I wanted including bacon.

Bacon bacon bacon
Such a crispy treat
Nacob nacob nacob
Both ways you're kinda neat

Fry it up and smell it well
Fill the air with a smoky spell
Drain it on a paper towel
Sneak a piece and earn my scowl

Roll it into a nice cigar
But not the kind you light
Chew it while in your car
Savor the meaty delight

Bacon bacon bacon
The end of me you'll be
Bacon bacon bacon
You clog my artery

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #29 of 108
You know, I really don't like bacon that much, especially crispy bacon...it really hurts my teeth. It also reminds me of things like clogged arteries and heart attacks and fatness.

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #30 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For an artery-busting treat, try fried cheese wrapped in bacon.

That's simply beautiful, I have a tear in my eye...

There is only one ingredient known to man that BELONGS in every recipe, and that is bacon. Think about any meal, then imagine it with bacon, and wonder why you never added it before.

I don't want an international incident here, but Canadian bacon is blasphemy. That's not bacon, I want the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back