Bacon! (not Kevin)
Sep 3, 2007 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
I just tried to eat some turkey sausage with my eggs this morning. BIG mistake. God what an awful taste.

I wish I has just gone with BACON instead. At the store they have this hand rubbed bacon (no nitrates) thick cut, that I like to fry up extra crispy, two or three slices, and have with scrambled eggs, english muffin with butter, and ketchup for the eggs, lots of salt and pepper, and a big mug of espresso. 15 years ago add a Camel light to the breakfast.

Also, if I could I would eat BACON every meal. My favorite sandwich is a BLT, and I don't even like tomatoes. Crazy! I get bacon at the Cafe at work, some tomato and lettuce, a little mayo and multigrain bread, then nuke the bacon till it sizzles again, and everyone comes into the kitchen salivating. IT SMELLS THAT GOOD! Then the combination of the crunchy salty meat with the soft bread and crunchy, juicy tomato and lettuce... ah perfection. No need for chips.

When I spent a month in Quebec canoing, I had a whole slab of BACON I could cut chunky slices off and fry up for my fellow campers. They loved me for my bacon, and I loved myself too (no women around).

Anyone else have a favorite kind of bacon or bacon dish?

smokedbacon.jpg

baconbaconbacon [size=xx-large]IT'S BACON!!![/size]

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 108
I usually avoid bacon because of the fat content and eggs due to cholesterol, however yesterday we indulged in a good old-fashioned homemade breakfast of Bacon & Eggs.
YuMMy
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 108
I agree various actions are sometimes required when camping without women.

I know vegetarians who only miss one meat dish - bacon. There's something about it. Also we need to make it criminal to call something simply "bacon" or "hamburger" (without further clarification) if not made from the traditional animal. I've been tricked on both of these in the past at outings. It can sometimes be plenty good, but it isn't correctly good.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 108
i like really crisp bacon.. none of that stuff with like it swimming in grease and congealed fat

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like really crisp bacon.. none of that stuff with like it swimming in grease and congealed fat

Absolutely. I like my bacon extra crispy, no, chkrispy, wuth the fat cooked off and the bacon slice curled up in submission.

blessingx
You always seemed the kind of fellow who is willing to "take one for the team".
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know vegetarians who only miss one meat dish - bacon. There's something about it.

That's me! I'm basically a vegetarian, except for bacon and ham. (I'm not even really an egg or milk product eater... just ham.) Actually I prefer cured ham to most bacon, but either is exquisite. One of my longer-term goals is to have the space to raise one pig annually for food.

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's me! I'm basically a vegetarian, except for bacon and ham. (I'm not even really an egg or milk product eater... just ham.) Actually I prefer cured ham to most bacon, but either is exquisite. One of my longer-term goals is to have the space to raise one pig annually for food.

ahh, wodgy, i knew i liked you
wink.gif
i, too, am mostly vegetarian except for bacon! people think that's strange...but c'mon, it's BACON! i once ordered a veggie burger with bacon...didn't think that was weird at all, until the woman gave me a strange look.

there used to be this show on the food network with dweezil zappa and lisa loeb...i only watched one episode but in the beginning when they introduced themselves, lisa loeb's introduction went something like this: "i'm lisa loeb...and i'm happiest when i'm writing music and trying to find ways to incorporate bacon in my vegetarian diet..." cool!
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 108
I am going to try to incorporate BACON into watermelon somehow. I know it sounds strange but, it just might work.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 108
It's the aroma . . . I got a whiff of bacon somewhere a day or two earlier, thus the craving for bacon and eggs.

Another aroma with similar effect is cinnamon . . . . try walking past one of those Cinnamon bun shops that makes them in the mall without drooling
biggrin.gif

and coffee . . . definately coffee

but BACON seems to have a deep and long-lasting impact on me

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 108
I LOVE that vegetarians eat bacon too. Honestly unless I prepare it myself most meat ends up disgusting me during the meal. Sometimes I even have to take a piece out to keep from retching, especially if I chew on gristle (shudder).

I prefer meat cut thin, then grilled black, all crunchy and chewy and juicy. Thick cuts of undercooked (to me anything not well done is undercooked) does not appeal.

I am not squeamish by any means. I used to be a sausage maker after all. But BACON is like the perfect meat for me. Small servings FULL of flavor and crunchiness, and no surprises.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to try to incorporate BACON into watermelon somehow. I know it sounds strange but, it just might work.

I like bacon wrapped in bacon with bacon bits. The haughty epicurean name for it is Nested Suidae Strips with Minced Suidae, Amuse Bouche, Chinose, Ramekin, Compote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but c'mon, it's BACON!

Easily the most sound, irrefutable logic I've had the pleasure of witnessing on Head-Fi: It's bacon, people. How you like them apples?

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 108
I like bacon too. Dunno if I want it with watermelon though.

Good thing about fat and cholesterol is, it tastes really good. Bad thing about it is, you know, it is fat and cholesterol.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 108
Watching how panda bears carefully roll the tenderest second year growth bamboo shoots into a perfectly formed cigar got me thinking: the bacon cigar. Layers of thin bacon carefully rolled into the classic Churchill cigar shape, then deep flash-fried in bacon fat. Stick the bacon cigar in the corner of your mouth and you have hours of contented chewing ahead.

-edit-
Yeah the bacon watermelon combo needs a third ingredient. A thin layer of watermelon, a couple strips of extra crispy bacon on top, then... another watermelon slice? NO! LOX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back