Backing up computer files (can you limit to only copying over what has changed since last time)?
Nov 26, 2008 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
I back up my computer files. As you can imagine with any music collector, I have a helluva lot of mp3s.

Over time I will discover that I mislabeled some of my mp3s and fix them. Or maybe I add a picture of the album cover to the mp3 file while I am running it on itunes. Lots of little stuff.

Is there any way that I can have my computer periodically copy over the files that I changed onto my back-up harddrive? sort of like how itunes "syncs" your ipod with itunes to update only what's new since the last time you synced?

Right now, whenever I change a file, I have to note that I changed it and specifically copy-and-paste over the duplicate of that file on my backup harddrive.

Or I have to just copy-and-past my entire main harddrive over the entire backup harddrive, which takes too long. There's got to be an easier way.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 10
I like using Apple's Time Machine. No failures yet (thankfully) but it takes care of everything simply and easily. I run RAID 5 with four drives on my Linux box. I probably should back up anyway, but am not too worried about it.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 10
if you're using windows, sync toy (preferably version 2) from microsoft is free and works wonderfully. I use it for my backups, and it'll just copy the files you've changed if you want.

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 10
rsync is excellent, though it may require some effort to get it going in the first place. However, there are frontends to simplify the process… I don't know of any for Windows, however, being a Mac and Linux user myself.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 10
x4 on rsync
I have used it for a couple of years to do incremental backups to external hard disks. Smooth backup in deed.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back