Backed out on a "For Sale"
Jan 19, 2011 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gorthon

100+ Head-Fier
What would you do?

A fellow head-fi member committed to purchase an item from me, via PM's, on Friday with a message that PayPal payment would be sent on Monday.  Monday came and went with no word or payment.  On Tuesday I sent a message to find out what was going on.  A PM was replied to within minutes (Tuesday, the day after payment was suppose to be sent as agreed upon) apologizing and telling me that he would no longer be buying my amp since he just purchased a different amp that day.  I appreciate the honesty and the fact that he PM'd me back, but I feel that it was a pretty rotten thing to do.  At a minimum, I would have expected a message explaining the situation and checking if it was OK to brake our arrangement before committing to another purchase.  While I would not have been thrilled about the situation, I would have said OK. 

I have been involved in another past sale where this happened and the person explained the situation and asked if it was OK to back out.  I agreed and moved on.

In the end, nobody was hurt but I feel people should also know that this person's word may not be as worthy/strong as another persons.  Part of me thinks I should post feedback to his profile about this incident, but then I wonder if I am just being angry and petty. 

If I do post feedback, do I post it as negative or neutral?  I'm thinking it should probably just be listed as neutral feedback.

Would you "let it go" or would you "post feedback" to the person's profile?

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 12
If they ask beforehand, I see absolutely zero reason to even be upset, besides the minor inconvenience of waiting a few more days to sell. 

In this case, however, it was kind of ass to bail on you without a word... still, I would hesitate to tarnish a trading reputation when no real foul was committed.  This is a tough one, but I'd MAYBE consider bringing it up with the staff, but leaving his profile clean. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Just let it go

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
What would you do?

A fellow head-fi member committed to purchase an item from me, via PM's, on Friday with a message that PayPal payment would be sent on Monday.  Monday came and went with no word or payment.  On Tuesday I sent a message to find out what was going on.  A PM was replied to within minutes (Tuesday, the day after payment was suppose to be sent as agreed upon) apologizing and telling me that he would no longer be buying my amp since he just purchased a different amp that day.  I appreciate the honesty and the fact that he PM'd me back, but I feel that it was a pretty rotten thing to do.  At a minimum, I would have expected a message explaining the situation and checking if it was OK to brake our arrangement before committing to another purchase.  While I would not have been thrilled about the situation, I would have said OK. 

I have been involved in another past sale where this happened and the person explained the situation and asked if it was OK to back out.  I agreed and moved on.

In the end, nobody was hurt but I feel people should also know that this person's word may not be as worthy/strong as another persons.  Part of me thinks I should post feedback to his profile about this incident, but then I wonder if I am just being angry and petty. 

If I do post feedback, do I post it as negative or neutral?  I'm thinking it should probably just be listed as neutral feedback.

Would you "let it go" or would you "post feedback" to the person's profile?

It happens all the time. Get over it :wink:

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 12
My rule of thumb is first to pay gets the gear for sale. That way no hard feelings between the buyer or seller.
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Pretty lame of that person not to tell you what was going on. At the very least, they should've mentioned to you that they would not be buying it anymore as soon as they made up their mind, not wait until you asked about it.

But in the end, it's a small problem and not worth getting worked up over. Better than be scammed.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 12
It happens. It is a jerk move if the person says they are going to buy it and does not inform you when they change their mind and that has happened to be in the past and I was left hanging with no PM's or anything. That was the only time where I would consider something like contacting the mods but probably not.

It may increase how long you have to wait for a sale but at the end of the day a couple days isn't as bad as getting negative feedback since you most likely will get negative feedback in return for the negative feedback you gave that person.

I personally have a whoever pays me first is the buyer of the item I'm selling. If someone beats you to it then you should have been more clear in your intentions.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 12
I think if that person was someone you knew, then I think it would have been a jerk move.

But it is someone just telling you that they want it over the internet. Until that person puts down a down payment, there is no commitment to buy your amp.

People who buy used stuff are generally flakes. When you have more experience with selling used items then you will come to understand this.

I don't think there is a good enough reason to put bad feedback, because there was no transaction.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 12
I would leave neutral feedback at the least because it doesn't effect feedback score. It will be there for all to see if this person wants to buy again they now know this issue has been reported. It also let's the seller know to not send the item until payment has been received. It does suck to give this person a non positive mark but that is what the feedback system is for.....if you commit to buy, then buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back