Back to the 80s with 16 Lovers Lane ... very very nice
Feb 7, 2008 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Pulled out the Go-Betweens 16 Lovers Lane yesterday and just wanted to say somewhere, what a great record! Probably gonna be revisiting this one over and over all week, and more. Surprising to realize that some of these late 80s classics are 20 years old now. And so nice to put a CD in the player and be able to crank the volume knob more than a few degrees from off. Nice and natural sounding too, not all goosed in the bass like just about everything nowadays. Sounds almost flat until you get your brain readjusted. Love it. They probably never made another record this good, 5 stars, 10 great songs, almost like a best of collection, except not full of radio friendly commercial jingles, this is very refined and literate music, beautifully written and performed. Kind of like the 80s version of Rumours. They hung it up for about 10 years after this one, and sadly Grant McLennan died a couple years ago after they recorded Oceans Apart, but man, what a fine album this is.

No idea what the 2-disc expanded remaster from a couple years ago sounds like. I read that Oceans Apart was mastered so badly and received so many complaints that they apologized and remastered and reissued it without so much compression and clipping. But different record company and people involved than the remasters of the old stuff, I think. Anyone have the recent remaster of 16 Lovers Lane? Good bonus tracks? Good mastering?

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 4
IIRC, there are 2 different versions of the 2CD 16 Lovers Lane. One for Euro market mastered by John Dent, and the USA one mastered by Bill Inglot (Mr. Rhino). I have the 2CD USA version and it sounds fine, Inglot does not apply much compression, but is known for adding a treble spike, so some people like his stuff, some don't.

There is a mid-90s remaster as well that has excellent sound. I've never A/B-ed against the newer 2CD version, but my memory is of preferring the mid-90s disc.

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, there are 2 different versions of the 2CD 16 Lovers Lane. One for Euro market mastered by John Dent, and the USA one mastered by Bill Inglot (Mr. Rhino)...

Hehehe, thanks Mark. Thought I'd probably get at least one response from you, as a fellow La's fanatic, along with all those other great britpop bands of the era, even if some of them did start out as Aussies
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pulled out the Go-Betweens 16 Lovers Lane yesterday and just wanted to say somewhere, what a great record! ... Love it. They probably never made another record this good, 5 stars, 10 great songs, almost like a best of collection, except not full of radio friendly commercial jingles, this is very refined and literate music, beautifully written and performed. Kind of like the 80s version of Rumours.

X 2. Tallulah is worth a listen now and then as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back