Back to buying CDs, should I re-buy?
Jul 4, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Waspinators

New Head-Fier
Well, I've been downloading like crazy (some legal, others... "acquired") since a few years ago, and now I have a library of about 5200 songs (mostly 192 to 320), which minus about 3 or 4 CDs, are all downloaded. But, I've recently rediscovered the magic of CDs when I bought one the other day. Not just the liner notes and packaging, but the ability to rip it however you want, and not having to worry about squawks and glitches in the sound (something that's plagued me in a lot of downloads).

So it looks like I'm going back to buying CDs, save for the occasional Amazon MP3 download. And hopefully I'll be getting my first part-time job soon, so I'll have money for them. But, it'll be weird to have all these new CDs, while having no CDs from my favorite artists (whose work I have in MP3 format). So I was planning on either buying my entire music collection in CD format (would take a lot of time and money), or going the easier way and just buying some of my more favorite albums and some box sets from my favorite artists, while saving the rest of the money for new CDs (that I haven't heard) and a new bass amplifier. What do you all think I should do?

EDIT: Oops, wrong section, meant to post it in the Dedicated Source forum.

Jul 4, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 5

mdickerman

Head-Fier
Sounds like you already know what to do - your "easier" approach will be more enjoyable in the long-run. I faced this issue when converting from vinyl to CD and it's an easy choice - mix your purchasing of new stuff with replacing old favorites, especially if there's bonus tracks you don't already have, and eventually you'll have replaced the stuff that means the most to you and you can decide what's worthy from the next tier of material.

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 5

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus
Always go for music you've never heard. Music is a language, and you have to always be learning about new things if you want to grow. There's an ocean of incredible music out there in a million different styles. Try to listen to as much of it as you can. It's not about jewel cases on a shelf. It's about learning. Go to the library too. There's a lot of great music there for free.

See ya
Steve

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5

HipHopScribe

Headphoneus Supremus
If I were you, I'd only buy stuff I already downloaded if there is a quality issue with the downloaded files, otherwise I'd concentrate on buying new music, because as bigshot said, there's always more great music to hear.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 5

ILikeMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I agree that there's probably no need to re-buy a CD copy of your high-bitrate compressed library as there probably won't be an audible difference. But for the reasons you mentioned there is a good case for buying music on CD vs. downloading.

But FWIW, I don't know how many times I've assumed that pops or other artifacts were the result of bad file compression only to find that the defect was on the original CD! I think sometimes we are more critical of compressed files and assume that any audible artifact has to be the result of compression... but it would seem that a lot of stuff gets through on the original CD mastering. Maybe we don't notice them on CDs because we're not concentrating on finding them, as we sometimes do with compressed files.

Users who are viewing this thread