back from NY trip - but got a speeding ticket
Oct 27, 2009 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
NYC is one of my greatest trip ever, with so much to see and do that you can nv get bored.

The only thing that ruined it is a speed ticket (74 on 45) given to my friend who was driving my car.

The police however got 2 info wrong on the ticket -
LICENSE PLATE WAS inaccurate. instead of ABBC123 he puts AABC123

Instead of 11am he puts time at 11pm. I have solid evidence to prove that my friend is not at the incident side at 11pm (since we are already back)

Do I have a case to get the ticket dismissed? The only thing that worries me is that she got off her car to get her licence from the car trunk, which may have captured her face on the police car's video camera.

Thank You for all suggestions. Anyway I was quite sure she was doing max 67 on 45 validated by my GPS.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 19
she was not driving recklessly. But the way the police chased us was EXTREMELY reckless because he tried to catch a car IN FRONT of us and was pressuring us to get off a one LANE street. After doing that, he opened his car door and rushed to the middle of the street to stop us from in front. He was trying to get down to 2 cars at the same time. We really could have killed him.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
she was not driving recklessly.

The speed posted and the speed driven suggests otherwise.

Quote:

But the way the police chased us was EXTREMELY reckless because he tried to catch a car IN FRONT of us and was pressuring us to get off a one LANE street. After doing that, he opened his car door and rushed to the middle of the street to stop us from in front. He was trying to get down to 2 cars at the same time. We really could have killed him.

How does one go 74 on a ONE lane street?

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The speed posted and the speed driven suggests otherwise.

How does one go 74 on a ONE lane street?

sorry its a 2 lane street, one lane for each direction. Considering the fact that this dumbass got the LICENCE plate and date wrong at the same time, I highly doubt that he had estimated our speed accurately.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

NYC is one of my greatest trip ever, with so much to see and do that you can nv get bored.

The only thing that ruined it is a speed ticket (74 on 45) given to my friend who was driving my car.

The police however got 2 info wrong on the ticket -
LICENSE PLATE WAS inaccurate. instead of ABBC123 he puts AABC123

Instead of 11am he puts time at 11pm. I have solid evidence to prove that my friend is not at the incident side at 11pm (since we are already back)

Do I have a case to get the ticket dismissed? The only thing that worries me is that she got off her car to get her licence from the car trunk, which may have captured her face on the police car's video camera.

Thank You for all suggestions. Anyway I was quite sure she was doing max 67 on 45 validated by my GPS.

doing 75 in a 45 zone is pretty reckless as the driver had consciously disregarded (noting 67 on GPS, mind you GPS is only tracks the x-plane vector, and not the actual ground speed) the substantial likelihood of injury his action could bring to others.

So the question is (1) did she drive waaay past the speed limit? yup (2) would a reasonable person think driving 30mph over the posted speed limit on a regular road pose a substantial risk to other motorists? yup (3) did she consciously disregard that risk? yup (by noting 67 on the GPS) . . . sounds like reckless to me
you got off pretty light IMO.

Oh..btw, just so you know, almost all the judges will do "the right thing" regardless of their reasonings (they will figure out how to pond your @$$ despite the imperfect records)

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

sorry its a 2 lane street, one lane for each direction

That's even worse
eek.gif
74 or 64, only an idiot goes that far over the speed limit on a two lane road.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 19
I agree: man up and pay the fine. This sort of driving was reckless, pure and simple. There are consequences for actions in civilized societies. Your friend acted recklessly, so she/you/y'all should suffer the consequences instead of trying to weasel your way out of it.

Consider yourself lucky that her recklessness didn't cause an accident for you and/or anybody else. I lost a good friend in high school to reckless driving; I've realized since that the fines are there for a reason... which is to deter this sort of behavior.

Pay up and be glad you're still alive.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

...he tried to catch a car IN FRONT of us and was pressuring us to get off a one LANE street...

you know it's also illegal not to pull over to get out of the way of a police car with it's lights/siren on.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 19
Yeah, tell her to suck it up and pay the fine.
She speeded and should be happy that nothing else worse happened.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know it's also illegal not to pull over to get out of the way of a police car with it's lights/siren on.
tongue_smile.gif

oh well, there are concrete construction walls on our sides so if you ask me to pull out of the lane we will hit the wall. After passing the lane section with concrete wall by the side, we pulled to the right but the police just passed us and chased the car in front.

In his effort to catch the car in front, he pretty much forced us to speed on a narrow road with concrete walls on its side and after that, tried to stop our car with his body in the middle of the road after catching the faster car. I have yet to see a policeman who is so desperate to give out tickets.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 19
TBH some cops go overboard with tickets. mom got a ticket for going 100 kph in a 60 zone... but she was just keeping up with traffic and was the unlucky one to get dinged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back