Back from Head-Fi Hiatus. Need suggestions on a new portable can.
Aug 22, 2007 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

slunk007

100+ Head-Fier
Good day,

Well, it's been quite a few months since I've been on these forums. I've kind of lost touch on what the 'Phone of the Month has been. The last time I was on here, I was reading up about the AKG K81DJ. It seems to be a solid (in more than one sense of the word) can.

I am looking for a new set of cans for portable use. My AT A900's are still serving me well at home, but would be too fragile (and big) to take on the bus. I was originally going to buy the K81DJs but am concerned by the comfort level of these vise-like cans. I may still buy them, but was going to ask first to see if there are other options available.

I'm currently using Sony EX-70s which have served me well for many many years. However their sound definitely leaves a little something to be desired... but man, are they not the most comfortable earbuds I've used.

My current source would be a Rio Carbon 5GB playing LAME -APS mp3s.

My requirements are:

COMFORTABLE Closed can, supra-aural (sits on the ear) or circum-aural (covers the entire ear), can be driven without an amp, durable, and of course... sounds good. I will consider all price ranges, but will ultimately decide on one that has the best value.

I listen to mostly indie pop/rock and a bit of electronic.

So, if you guys can make some suggestions to point me in the right direction, I would definitely appreciate it.

Cheers.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 13
One of the most durable cans I had was the Sony MDR-V6. Those things are tough little guys.

I really like my ATH-ES7. It has detailed highs, and upfront mids, but not that much bass. I really enjoy listening to them when using my Ipod. Much luck to you.

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
When I was researching my first pair and eventually ended up with the A900s, the V6's were in the runnings. I do remember reading about them being very durable.

Thanks for recommending the ATH-ES7's. I'll look into them further.

580smile.gif

Awww... How I've missed these custom smilies!

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slunk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's been quite a few months since I've been on these forums. I've kind of lost touch on what the 'Phone of the Month has been.

I guess you could call the Equation Audio RP21 'phone of the month' of late. Haven't tried them but they seem to be good and close to your requirements. A recent thread about them:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236104

I don't care much for the K81DJ but a lot of other people do so YMMV.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you could call the Equation Audio RP21 'phone of the month' of late. Haven't tried them but they seem to be good and close to your requirements. A recent thread about them:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236104

I don't care much for the K81DJ but a lot of other people do so YMMV.

The RP21s don't isolate very well. I've just about given up on finding a closed, isolating portable for my commute. The best isolating are supposedly the HD25-1, but looking at HeadRoom graphs, IEMs isolate about 30dB better. They're also supposed to be head vises like the K81. According to what I've read, anything comfortable is going to let almost all of the external sound in, forcing you to raise the volume to hear over bus/subway noise.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks guys.

Another member sent me a PM recommending the ATH-ES7. I think it's a toss-up between those and the cheaper ATH-SJ5. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the ES7's mirror finish (fingerprint madness). I'm also trying to determine if the ES7's are $90 better in SQ than the SJ5's. Anybody know?

As for the RP21's... I'll read up on them, but from the sounds of it, I'll probably pass them up.

Sep 3, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slunk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys.
Another member sent me a PM recommending the ATH-ES7. I think it's a toss-up between those and the cheaper ATH-SJ5. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the ES7's mirror finish (fingerprint madness). I'm also trying to determine if the ES7's are $90 better in SQ than the SJ5's. Anybody know?
As for the RP21's... I'll read up on them, but from the sounds of it, I'll probably pass them up.

here's another vote for the es-7s. dunno nuthin' 'buth the sj5s but the es-7s are a safe vote for a very fun, and resonably comfortable, portable can. the rp21s are also worth looking into though they're a bit bulkier. either can be found on the fs forum for ~$90 +/- $10 these days. buy one or both and give 'em a try and sell 'em if you they don't float yer boat. as far as the akgs go, they're ok and certainly cheaper than the others but aren't as comfy. their big brother, the k181dj is a more interesting and sturdier phone, though it's also bigger and pricier. it does clamp however but it does offer a detachable cable which offers simple upgrade options.
of course there are always ear canal/iems to look at. im716s are very good and have been offered at prices better than any of the aforementioned phones (with the exception of the k81dj) and represent a terrific value imo. they are really underpriced and are worth twice their recent asking price. in that vein there are also the at ck9s, atrio m5s, mylars, various jays, or if earbuds will do it ck out the yuins - all would be worth looking into.

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 13
The one problem with the K81DJ is that it's pretty uncomfortable. I can't wear it for more than 2 hours or so without discomfort.

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 13
whoever just suggested a900s for portable.. you need your eyes examined

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 13
"Back from Head-Fi Hiatus"

Otherwise known as "Head-Fi rehab."

Welcome back to the fray ...

I'll make the obligatory suggestion of considering in-ears -- particularly the Future Sonics Atrio M5's. You pay more than for some of the portable headphones, but the eBay deal is excellent and the sound, portability and isolation make for a very nice on-the-go experience (their sound is HUGE with my Rio Carbon -- I have to alter the EQ from where it was set for lesser earphones ... they make my un-EQ'd iPod Nano sound rich and full). Not just a flavor of the month -- check the threads. These provide headphone-like sound in an in-ear package ... with no clamping.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll make the obligatory suggestion of considering in-ears -- particularly the Future Sonics Atrio M5's. You pay more than for some of the portable headphones, but the eBay deal is excellent

do you mean from this vendor? http://cgi.ebay.com/FutureSonics-Atr...QQcmdZViewItem
what kind of offer does he accept?
are the m8s the same as the m5s?

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 13
The M8s and the M5s are the same, except for color -- the M5s are black with blue trim, while the M8s are blue with black trim. It's possible that, when purchased from Future Sonics directly, the two come with slightly different accessories, but that could have changed (I believe their original intention was to gear the two colors toward two different audiences in terms of the accessories ... the sound is the same).

I got my Future Sonics through Road Dog, on eBay. Despite the rather colorful name, Road Dog is not piratical -- they're in the greater Nashville area, where there are many studio and touring musicians ... the vendor is highly reputable.

I believe the manufacturer's suggested list price is $199. I was fortunate to win a bid at $130. In the long thread on these, I think somone mentioned bidding $140 and getting them. I had been very interested in the UM2s (at $299), so I am very pleased to have gotten the M5s for considerably less than that (considering, for example, that the list price on the Shure E3Cs was $179).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back