Back at it, looking anew.
Sep 14, 2009 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

battleaxe

100+ Head-Fier
So, I purchased a pair of Ety HF5, and just like most IEM I just didn't find the too comfortable. So, I am back at it looking for something else. I like the idea of clip-ons but as I learned in a previous thread I am limited there in choice, and quality. So I have come to conclusion of taking a bit of size hit a go for compact/portable over the ear/on the ear cans, like the ES7.

I say that my budget is about $100, but willing to go up a bit if there is something worth it, & we all know the lower the better. I want something that could possibly best Sennheiser HD465, in pretty much all aspects, while being more compact. These can's are very comfortable I have fallen asleep with them on, so comfort while sleeping is a bonus.

I am seeing the ATH-ES7 is recommended a good amount, but is there anything else I should look at? I want something that is close to balanced as possible, while offering a reasonably wide(possibly better than my current phones) sound stage. I want to hear the bass but not really feel it, I want something that will help me get lost into the music. I play a wide range of music, except classical, and country to help you get an idea. I will be playing this out my notebook, and my next mp3, which most likely will be a Tegra powered(either the Zune HD or the Samsung M1). Thank you!

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 17
Yeah, but I saw a thread one of the mods to give it a bit more comfort. I noticed there is like 3 versions of the hd 25-II, which one had the C somewhere in it. Is there a difference? I think I tried the HD228 or is predecessor in the past and I didnt like the ear cup comfort, seemed like it would kind of cause my ears to sweat or something, more so than some of the others. I dunno, maybe I am just being too picky here.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i've read, the ATH-ES7 isn't known for it's comfort...

i'd look at a pair of sennheiser hd228, or hd 25-1 II (perhaps used).

I've heard the HD-25 II's are tight on the ears and takes quite a while to get use to. I assume that's their real only way to get a good isolation, how else.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 17
another vote for the HD25 I-II great little can with decent isolation (needed if you are going to use them portable) and tough as buggery; virtually indestructable

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 17
You know, isolation is that key of a feature to me. Well I don't if it leaks a bit like my current phones do and never seen anyone at the library complain about them leaking or my music being too loud, so thats not an issue? So would the HD25 II really fit my needs? and what is the difference between the HD25, and HD25II beside one is newer than the other? Also at an impedance of 70omh would an mp3, or laptop have enough to power the headphones un-amped?

Is there any AKG, beyerdynamic that would also fit my needs? I just want to look at all my options.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 17
you obviously have never used or sat next to someone using grados ;P they dont just leak, I actually consider it rude to use grados in public; let alone in the library. I would not have recommended the senns if I didnt think they would suit. isolation is just one of their qualities. they also have a replaceable cable (a good thing in my book
wink.gif

70 ohms is not that hard a load for most players and definitely laptops. beyers I cant in good faith recommend as i'm not really a fan, DT880 would be great for your taste though, but above your budget again. in fact i'm not likey to be able to recommend too many things in your budget that are too new. I had HD25 II twice, stolen once and I replaced them, but sold them when I got into high end IEMs now have HD600 (recabled) as far as senns.

so I repeat in this pricerange and this style of headphone (small portable) the HD25 are IMO out on their own, the ES7 just dont really compare, its a difficult price bracket; perhaps denon D1001, not sure how much they go for these days. I love my modded D2000 and the bass is superb.

so if you want a fairly balanced, compact, versatile, rugged, musical headphone, with good isolation that sounds well with most gear (not picky on source), that doesnt need an amp; though does show some improvement with one. high enough impedance that your laptop will not produce hiss, but easy enough to drive, with a replaceable cable if something goes wrong.....

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 17
Another vote for the HD25-1 II. It really is a level above the ES7 in my book. More comfortable and isolating, too. I haven't bothered reshaping my ES7's and out of the box the HD25 certainly clamps softer. With the velour pads I can wear them for hours.

I actually prefer the K81dj to the ES7 as well - with the inner foam pad removed (a 30-second process) the treble sparkle gains the ability to move you and the bass remains clear and punchy. Like the HD25 they really don't do anything wrong, they just don't stand out as much from the crowd overall.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Well the Denon D1000 are about with in my price range, $115 for the D1001k model, however they look a bit large? I was looking at the Beyer but they are larger than I want ATM. Therefore, I was looking to see if there was anything smaller? I like the size of the ES7 from the pics I have seen, so I would like something I guess that size?

Anything else from AKG? What about the K99, K141, or K240(base model unless the MKII are worth the extra?), they are all around $100 off Amazon, and I have seen good reviews for AKG on here. There is also the foldable K414/420? Would any of these AKG fit my needs? Are they good sq, and more compact that my current phones?

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 17
Just go for the HD25, why do you want something else so badly? With them on you look like an aviator with a great education, or a lo-pro ninja. I have actually stepped on a pair. And the only thing that happened was that the padding ripped a little.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 17
I guess I justs want to look at all my options and see what is available. So no comments on those AKGs? From what I am seeing the size of the AKG 414 and 420/430 are perfect, but not sure on sq or quality, and I thought I read both were rebrands of lower model number?

With the K81 I see there is the K518 which is suppose to be a rebrand. Beside a name change are they any other changes to make it worth the extra cash? What is the difference between the K518DJ and 518LE?

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the K81 I see there is the K518 which is suppose to be a rebrand. Beside a name change are they any other changes to make it worth the extra cash? What is the difference between the K518DJ and 518LE?

K81dj=k518dj=k81le with a different color scheme. No difference sq-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back