1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Back after 10 Years - Aeon Flow Open DAC+Amp Recommendations

?

DAC + Amp for Aeon Flow Open

1. Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC DAC/Amp

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. JDS El DAC + El Amp

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Schiit Lyr 3 with Mulibit DAC and Tung-Sol 6SN7

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. boschtb
    I am getting back into headphones after 10 years away. My last rig was a modified Jolida JD100 + RSA Raptor + HD650 and ATH-W11JPN. This time around, I will be using my MacBook Pro as a source, with both lossless and compressed files, and I have settled on the AFO as my headphones. I primarily listen to alternative, indie, singer songwriter, and electronic. Given the genres these genres and the fact that I compressed files are in the mix, I want to stay away from overly analytical combos. I don't mind a some coloration to make the sound a little forgiving and more musical.

Currently, I have three contenders, but am willing to consider more. In order of price, they are:
    • Massdrop Liquid Carbon X + SDAC DAC/Amp ($380 and ends tomorrow)
    • JDS El DAC + El Amp ($530)
    • Schiit Lyr 3 with Mulibit DAC and Tung-Sol 6SN7 ($725)
    I have read limited, but favorable, impressions of each of these combos with the AFO. If I go with the LCX, I will want to run the AFOs balanced, so that increases the overall cost somewhat. All things being equal, I would prefer to save some money and get the cheapest option. I also don't want to pay for a marginal (10%) difference in performance. But I am willing to pay more for significant improvements and/or simply better synergy between the components. I am also willing to consider other DAC + amp combos, with $725 being my upper limit.

Thanks in advance for the help getting back into headphones!

2. Monsterzero
    Try looking into an AGD R2R-11. Warm analog like sounding DAC and nice amp that will drive the AFO quite well. I believe theres one in the classifieds currently. No affiliation.

boschtb likes this.
  3. bixby
    The EL dac and Magni 3 was a nice combo as well when I had the Magni. I now use a Musical Fidelity amp with the EL dac.

good luck you have the making of a fine setup!

boschtb likes this.
  4. boschtb
    The more I read, the more I am leaning towards the JDS stack. It appears that it may hit my price to performance sweet spot and the El DAC would scale up nicely if I decide to upgrade my amp down the line.

5. Rhamnetin
    JDS Labs or Audio-GD get my vote. Audio-GD value is terrific, it'd cost most of us more to build their products than what their price is.

boschtb likes this.
  6. boschtb
    Audio-GD is intriguing, but I have had enough random stuff go wrong with electronics over the years that I prefer a manufacturer with a strong U.S. presence, understanding that I may be paying a little more up front for the peace of mind.

I need to stop reading though, because now I am contemplating a Gilmore Lite Mk2 for my amp.

7. serman005
    I just want to welcome you back after ten years. Enjoy!! :)

boschtb likes this.
  8. IkSak
    Welcome back!

I have the AFO since past December and I’d say this directly: the AFO loves tubes. The pairing with the Lyr 3 and Lyr 2 is terrific. It opens the soundstage and increases the musicality of the AFO. If I had to choose and maximize my value for the money, I’d go for the Lyr 2 (a used one) and buy a separate DAC.