Baby Orpheus Gone Woody... pics
May 21, 2005 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Xanadu777

Member of the Trade: Headphile
Headphone Modder Extraordinaire
I was lucky enough to make a deal on a pair of HE60/HEV70 recently. I had a plan and parts of it are done now. I wanted to change to a Stax cable so I could plug them into my SRM313. I've done that now but originally just put an old Stax plug on the stock cable, so I could hear them. I've yet to here the HEV70, since my AC wall-wart is still on order (along with a set of pads). Just so I'd feel like I kind of had HE90's, I wanted to go woody with them, which I've just completed. I ordered a KGSS about a week or so ago, can't wait till that gets here!

I've still yet to do a head to head with my Stax cans, 404, 303 and Lambda Pros. Want to hear them all with the KGSS, which I am considering doing in a matching Paduak front. The HE60's sound better with the mods than they did, no doubt. I think it's a combo of a more open screen and the much better quality Stax cable.

60a.jpg

60b.jpg

May 21, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 37
Nice work Larry, I'm glad to have been blessed to own one of your woodied contraptions.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 37
Holy exploding penguins dude!!!! That might be worth doing swapping the cable for the stax one. how much would you charge for this service? Or just to get an adaptor built.

How does the stax cable affect the he60 compared to the stock cable dude?

May 21, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 37
why not go with black mesh grills too, like the HE90?

if you want to get even closer, I hear a replacement headband assembly for the HE90 is only $406.75.
wink.gif
maybe you can find a way to put one on....

May 21, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 37
there is now only one barrier left - for Larry to woody a Stax Omega. DO IT!

May 21, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
Nice work Larry, I'm glad to have been blessed to own one of your woodied contraptions.
icon10.gif

I concur completely, I'm listening to my new (to me) Woody 225s now. Hard not to keep taking them off and admire the workmanship. Fortunately they sound as good as they look.

The woodied HE60 looks awesome though... *sigh* .... someday.

Ant

May 21, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
how much would you charge for this service? Or just to get an adaptor built.

How does the stax cable affect the he60 compared to the stock cable dude?

Just a nice overall improvement. Most noticable is better bass, highs and soundstage. The mids sound more natural too, I would attribute that to the more open screens. Slightly cover your screens with your hands and you'll see what I mean. I believe Eric343 is offering both an adapter and possibly recable, I really don't plan to add these to my normal modding services.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
why not go with black mesh grills too, like the HE90?

I've always been partial to stainless look... I guess I'll wait till the day I get HE90's to have black
orphsmile.gif

May 21, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 37
Those are some excellent pics and there's definitely some crazy ass motivation for modding what is already one of the best cans out there(too bad I've never had the chance to hear them). I wonder if Headphile would ever consider doing a woody frame for some SA series Sony cans(that would be so hard- I know)?
Either way, those cans are looking uber
cool.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 21, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 37
Nice work again, Larry! Elegant and understated, I'd say, and just the right touch to bring out the beauty of these phones.

May 22, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #10 of 37
Beautifull... you need to get a new headband padding and earpads for them though.
wink.gif

May 22, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 37
Larry,
Amazing job man. Now I wish I kept the HE-60!

May 22, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
my AC wall-wart is still on order (along with a set of pads).

biggrin.gif
... actually I have 2 sets of new pads coming and I'll redo the the headband pad in lambskin.

May 22, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 37
that is beautiful! I wish I could see it better, but there are tears in my eyes.

I will have to see about getting something, ANYTHING, woodified someday. I wonder how a pair of Audio Technica Airphones would handle being woodied?...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back