B&W P9 vs Fostex TH-900
Jun 19, 2017 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ROIDmonkey

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know these two headphones aren't really meant to be everyday items but I'm really sick of crappy gym music and having to listen to crappy earbuds when studying at the library, so I've narrowed it down to just these two closed back audiophile headphones.

Now I love clarity and soundstage as much as the next audiophile, but I'm also a closet bass-head, so which one of these two headphones has more bass, just pure earth shaking, teeth rattling bass?

P.S. ALSO since im going to be using them outside the house, they won't be plugged into an amp, just my Iphone/Android.

I stream lossless from Tidal and mostly listen to stuff like (but not limited to):
Rap - Eminem, 50 Cent, Jay Z, Kanye West, etc....
Techno/EDM - Tiesto, dubstep remixes of popular songs (think Dr.Dre Next Episode San Holo Remix etc), etc....
Some Rock/Pop - Metallica, Justin Timberlake, etc.....
And some videogame/movie soundtracks - think Assisins Creed (Ezio's Family, Aphelion), My Heart Will Go On from Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, etc .....

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 10
I dont know about the p9, but forget about driving the th900 through your smartphone even though is has a relatively small ohm(25), i'm having problem driving it through my hugo (too dry, and small soundstage) you will be needing at least a descent portable amp to have that famous "earth shaking bass" to come through.

Jun 25, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 10
TH900 needs an amp, is fragile and leaks a ton (its only semi sealed). For your uses, I wouldn't even consider it. P9 on the other hand should be right down your alley. Its made for portable use, looks awesome, is fully closed and doesn't need an amp.

As for most bass, I haven't heard any of them but I assume the TH900 would have the most bass because of its 50mm membranes vs p9's 40 - TH900 is also known for its earth shattering bass. I've read P9 has a lot of high quality bass too, though - so I don't think you would be disappointed.

TH900 is twice the price of the P9 so I believe it will have the overall higher sound quality, but I might be wrong. For portable use though, P9 all day.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 10
P7

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 10
A few cents from a P9 owner who loves his headphones:

- The bass is fantastic on these. Impactful yet controlled and tight. There is a midbase hump which really hurts a small number of songs, but overal I don't find it a big deal. That's the only audible drawback for me.
- You can drive these with your phone, but they definitely benefit from a good amp.
- These are sold as a closed headphone, but in reality they are semi closed. Sound will leak out and in - in the gym you'll hear the background music for sure and in the library others will notice you listening to music unless you turn down the volume.

So all in all, as much as I love the P9 I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for your use case. Perhaps the P7 wireless would suit your needs better?

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 10
For sound the th900 destroys all B&W. When focusing for on the go the P7 is smaller, folds, and provides better isolation. Due to the TH900s sound I have been using the th900 for on the go for two years and sold all my B&Ws. Th900 with a Cowon dap and a small amp the th900s bass can kerp putside noises from entering the headphone.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 10
For sound the th900 destroys all B&W. When focusing for on the go the P7 is smaller, folds, and provides better isolation. Due to the TH900s sound I have been using the th900 for on the go for two years and sold all my B&Ws. Th900 with a Cowon dap and a small amp the th900s bass can kerp putside noises from entering the headphone.
What small amp would you recommend? Also what about the harsh treble ive been hearing about with the th900?

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Harsh treble can be if coming from a headphone with soft treble. The th900 has great treble extension if the track has it. If you paor it with a sharp dac then you might get a lot of treble but you will always have deep powerful sub bass. You can easily eq the treble down if needed. Th900 does well with extra power so any amp will help. I use an Arrow amp which goes perfect with the th900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back