B&W P7 Wireless - VS - Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT
Aug 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #16 of 35
@RockStar2005 ,
i didn't actually know the 9bt price. i bought it when i was visiting japan last month
it was on discount and new stuff . it cost me around +- 42300 yen , also another tax refund 7-8%
the 7bt cost +- 27500 yen

yeah it was a good bargain for me

Oh I see.

Glad you got it for a good deal. I HATED the M50x when I bought them and tried them out years ago, but it sounds like the 9BTs are of a much higher caliber of headphones. I give AT much credit for this new Pure Digital technology. They've managed to create headphones that sound so good that a DAC isn't necessary anymore, it seems. But that's prob b/c the Pure Digital tech is SO great at "cleaning up" the sound that they make the DAC obsolete. But I still long for the day when BT is 100% equal to wired. That will be a great day lol.......:L3000:

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 35
Note that the P7 wireless got quite softer earpads, so naturally should be more comfortable than the wired version. Of course the earpads can be bought separately. The headband isn't also difficult to "fix", so you can regulate their clamping force. Also all the reports said that the wireless version offers some improvement in the sound.
So as you guys know the P7 is a V-shaped sound, while the DSR9BT is much more neutral, so it's also a matter of what you prefer. But DSR9BT surely offers better sound clarity and details, but sadly the price was too high for me to consider them.
Just my 2 cents :)

I only have the wireless version of the P7, still I find the pads quite hard, clearly harder than with other headphones (I don't own any other B&W hps)..
I personally don't mind this, but I saw several persons on the internet saying that they had sent back their P7 wireless because of this.
The ATH is very comfortable, I think it quite clear that the ATH is much better re. comfort.
The P7 wireless are still nice (were the best for me until receiving the ATH-DSR9BT), they were a real improvement over the Momentum wireless , the Zik and the K845BT (all 3 were close contenders), enjoy them !

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 35
A difference that may be a deciding factor for some is that B&W P7 Wireless come with Bluetooth 4.1 and supports aptx whereas the DSR9BT comes with BT 4.2 and supports aptx HD. The difference between aptx and aptx HD is this: 'it[aptx HD] uses a ‘gentle’ 4:1 lossy compression, delivering 24-bit / 48Hz audio — more than the vanilla aptX specification, which provides 16-bit / 44.1Hz sound'(Source). The player and headphones both need to support aptx-HD to get the benefit, though.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 35
A difference that may be a deciding factor for some is that B&W P7 Wireless come with Bluetooth 4.1 and supports aptx whereas the DSR9BT comes with BT 4.2 and supports aptx HD. The difference between aptx and aptx HD is this: 'it[aptx HD] uses a ‘gentle’ 4:1 lossy compression, delivering 24-bit / 48Hz audio — more than the vanilla aptX specification, which provides 16-bit / 44.1Hz sound'(Source). The player and headphones both need to support aptx-HD to get the benefit, though.

In this case, the 9BT would be superior then b/c of aptX HD.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #20 of 35
ah sorry i mean the comfy is much better than p7 wired ( i used p7 wired for +- 2 hours .. ears kinda warm and tired :p )
but i used 9bt for 7 hours @ flight back from japan to my country ... my ears didn;t tired or warm at all

and for the sound .. i love both of them

I just gave the P7 Wired another chance using my special EQ, and decided they were A LOT better than I previously thought. So I kept them! My brief review here explains it all. Included is my special EQ as well as alternate versions of it with varying levels of bass.

But if you HAD to choose malazz, would you say your P7 Wired sounds better or the DSR9BT?? lol I get that the comfort is better on the 9BT, but I want to know on sound too.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 35
I just gave the P7 Wired another chance using my special EQ, and decided they were A LOT better than I previously thought. So I kept them! My brief review here explains it all. Included is my special EQ as well as alternate versions of it with varying levels of bass.

But if you HAD to choose malazz, would you say your P7 Wired sounds better or the DSR9BT?? lol I get that the comfort is better on the 9BT, but I want to know on sound too.

i will definitely choose P7 for sound
doesn;t mean that 9bt is not GOOD .. it is GOOD

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 35
i will definitely choose P7 for sound
doesn;t mean that 9bt is not GOOD .. it is GOOD

Ok. I was hoping you would say that too. Wasn't sure if you would though. lol

Of course! The fact that you even had to think about it says a lot about the 9BT actually. But it makes me realize just how incredible my Wired P7s (as well as Bowers & Wilkins) really are! :L3000:

I really appreciate you responding back! Hope all is still well with you.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #24 of 35
I have a P7(wired), ive tried the wireless and with no surprise absolutely no tonal difference however as to be expected with wireless headsets. the p7 wireless is a little heavier than the wired version due to battery+amp.
I've tried the audio techs side by side because a co-worker has them.

My opinion:
I enjoy the P7 sound signature a lot more.
Build quality for the P7 is better, and i love the leather+metal style/theme of the P7s.

The Audio Techs were comfortable and fit nicely as well, but to my ear shape/head shape, the P7s felt a tiny bit more comfortable (clamp and cup squeeze.)
The Audio techs headband is better than that of the P7. after many many hours of listening use (4-6hrs+ non stop use) I will develop a little sore spot on the top dead centre of my head with the P7. the Audio Techs had no such issue.

Sound for the Audio Techs i felt were a little lacking in clarity in the mids compared to the P7s. the P7s had more low end than the Audio techs.
for highs, both were good i found (this depends on music you're listening to.)

Aesthetically, again i like the look of the P7s and not the Audio Techs thats why i own a pair of P7s lol. but its subjective, if you like the audio techs style, go with that.
(disclaimer, my friends set is well worn so it creeks a tiny bit when the cups move, so i didnt want to hold this fact against the pair i tried. i ignored it, but if someone could let me know if this is widespread among this model of Audio Tech then i guess you could take it as a side note.)

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 35
FWIW- Sold my P7 wireless, bass was too bloated, especially in wireless mode. My DSR9bt is a keeper.

You prob should've tried applying my special EQ to it. I initially thought the same of the Wired P7 but not anymore. You COULD still try my EQ on the DSR9BT though, which is accessible here in my Wired P7 review. I find it to be better than using No EQ or even the "Rock" preset.

If you do, please let me know what you think. I'd love to know!

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #26 of 35
I have a P7(wired), ive tried the wireless and with no surprise absolutely no tonal difference however as to be expected with wireless headsets. the p7 wireless is a little heavier than the wired version due to battery+amp.
I've tried the audio techs side by side because a co-worker has them.

My opinion:
I enjoy the P7 sound signature a lot more.
Build quality for the P7 is better, and i love the leather+metal style/theme of the P7s.

The Audio Techs were comfortable and fit nicely as well, but to my ear shape/head shape, the P7s felt a tiny bit more comfortable (clamp and cup squeeze.)
The Audio techs headband is better than that of the P7. after many many hours of listening use (4-6hrs+ non stop use) I will develop a little sore spot on the top dead centre of my head with the P7. the Audio Techs had no such issue.

Sound for the Audio Techs i felt were a little lacking in clarity in the mids compared to the P7s. the P7s had more low end than the Audio techs.
for highs, both were good i found (this depends on music you're listening to.)

Aesthetically, again i like the look of the P7s and not the Audio Techs thats why i own a pair of P7s lol. but its subjective, if you like the audio techs style, go with that.
(disclaimer, my friends set is well worn so it creeks a tiny bit when the cups move, so i didnt want to hold this fact against the pair i tried. i ignored it, but if someone could let me know if this is widespread among this model of Audio Tech then i guess you could take it as a side note.)

Interesting. Yeah I prefer the build quality of the P7 too. I don't think there's ANY plastic on it at all actually. The 9BT def has some though.

Oh wow, you feel the P7s are more comfy than the 9BT?? Very interesting.

With the Wired P7 that I have I sometimes shift the headband a bit forward or back on my head, and for me the clamp and also ear pad size sometimes require a bit of shifting as well. But lately it feels like it's been getting better, so maybe it's just about breaking them in properly? I only bought the P7 about 6-8 weeks ago too.

That's cool. Yeah I love how fantastic the P7s are at keeping the bass isolated from the mids and treble. I NEVER feel like the bass is spilling over into the other 2 frequencies, which is very important, b/c then I don't feel hesitant to bump up the bass more. That DOESN'T mean I'm a basshead by any means, but I believe some audiophiles think bass is like taboo, but I find that on really great headphones, you will have the freedom to increase the bass w/o those specific consequences coming up.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 35
I have both of these wireless headphones. The DSR9BTs are hands down the winner. The P7W aren't bad, but they don't have the detail and imaging of the DSR9BTs.

The DSR9BT's bass quantity might be slightly less than the P7W, but the quality is much better. The overall tuning of DSR9BT is superior. The subbass is present, instead of being washed out by lower quality bass like the P7Ws.

DSR9BT reveals details in the song that the P7W simply do not. The plastic/cheap build quality is where it falls short and leaves a bad taste in my mouth after spending $550, but I'm buying them for the sound anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #28 of 35
And the dsr9bt shines even more when using the usb cable. While I can look pass the plastics on the 9bt, it's the creaking from the plastic is what's getting into me. Other than that, I can't wait where AT will take these pure digital drivers moving forward.

Dec 7, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #30 of 35
How they're sounds compared to Beoplay H6 v2?
I have both, the P7 is very V shape, treble and bass is quite good but mids are a bit lacking imo. The H6 v2 sounds smoother, has a more curved U shape. Bass is good and enough for me, treble is there but not as much as P7 and mids are noticible and good and smooth. The comfort is 10x better on H6 v2 than P7. The P7 gives sore spots on head after 1-2hrs of use and the H6 never does. If you have H6 v2, use them instead of P7, trust me. Im selling my P7 atm because i dont like them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back