[B]Shure SE530's + iPod Touch[/B]
Dec 2, 2007 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Walder

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am pretty much certain that i'm going to buy the Shure SE530's, but my music collection is mostly MP3 V0 / V2 at an average of 200kbps.

I will be mostly using them on my Ipod Touch when out and about (no headphone amp).
I dont plan on upgrading my collection to lossless format, is it worth getting the Shures for the standard of my music collection?
confused.gif

I am worried that the shures will show up the problems with compressed music....

Many thanks

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 20
I think your music collection will be fine for the SE530. If they were 128-160 kbps I would be more worried, but with your 200 kbps MP3s you should be fine. The SE530 will make them shine if you like the dark, warm sound signature that they provide.

And haha at your use of HTML tags in the title. Too bad the titles of the threads are already bolded.
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And haha at your use of HTML tags in the title. Too bad the titles of the threads are already bolded.
tongue.gif

I know, how extremely noob-ish of me
redface.gif

thanks for the quick reply
rolleyes.gif

just one more thing,

I enjoy good bass in my music, will the Shures keep me happy?

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 20
Yah the Shure is delivers very good bass. You should be happy with its bass.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The e500s have plenty of bass to keep you happy

Keep in mind that this is really dependent on getting a proper seal in the ear canal.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,

I am pretty much certain that i'm going to buy the Shure SE530's, but my music collection is mostly MP3 V0 / V2 at an average of 200kbps.

I will be mostly using them on my Ipod Touch when out and about (no headphone amp).
I dont plan on upgrading my collection to lossless format, is it worth getting the Shures for the standard of my music collection?
confused.gif

I am worried that the shures will show up the problems with compressed music....

Many thanks

You will be fine. My livewires are more picky about source than my SE530, which is why I've kept them.

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 20
Dunno if the electronics in hte touch are any better than previous gen ipods, which had pretty miserable headamp circuits. Without an amp, that's the weak link, not importing at less than lossless bitrates.

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 20
ok cheers everyone, thats sealed the deal for me. Im gonna buy them as soon as my new 0% credit card arrives this week
tongue.gif

and to lostbobby: Quote:

Without an amp, that's the weak link, not importing at less than lossless bitrates.

I will probably purchase an amp for the touch if i feel it isnt punching out enough power already. I didnt even know portable headphone amps existed until yesterday lol
rolleyes.gif

Anyone suggest a good one? small as possible would be best, price isnt realy an issue....

Thanks for everyones help on this

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 20
It's not just about power - different opamps can have different sound characteristics, and the ipod's circuits are also compromised for size not sound quality.

I haven't found the iPod headphone out unlistenable, but I can hear how my iRiver headphone out is better, but a good ALO line out dock from iPod to any of my portable amps is even another step up in sound quality.

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 20
well i guess i learn something new every day!

I'm just gonna go for the Shure Se530's unamped on the Touch. Im 'shure'
rolleyes.gif
they will still sound great

i'l get an amp later on if i feel its necessary

cheers everyone

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

ok cheers everyone, thats sealed the deal for me. Im gonna buy them as soon as my new 0% credit card arrives this week
tongue.gif

and to lostbobby:

I will probably purchase an amp for the touch if i feel it isnt punching out enough power already. I didnt even know portable headphone amps existed until yesterday lol
rolleyes.gif

Anyone suggest a good one? small as possible would be best, price isnt realy an issue....

Thanks for everyones help on this

The RSA tomahawk is a great amp and verry small.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

cheers everyone

An amp is unnecessary if you use the SE530/Touch imo.

Dec 3, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

cheers everyone

In case the "rolled eyes" are for me. I did say they will sound fine in my first response. I was just sharing with you the reason why an amp helps, even with easy to drive headphones.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back