B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jul 22, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,472 of 1,671
Received my pair today and initially I like the sound a lot, the problem I have is the volume is a bit low off my Samsung S10 and I end up listening near max with no headroom. Certainly a lot lower in volume than my B&W P7 wireless. Anything that can be done to give it more volume?
Im looking for the same ting. Earlier i had the same problem with bose qc35. And when i switches from tidal to Apple music the sound got louder. But it doesnt helt now that i use tidal. Its too low volume for sure.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,473 of 1,671
All you beautiful people!
5.1.1 firmware for H9i is ready through the desktop updater app!
anybody tried it? Is it any better in the sound quality?

PS. The changelog is pretty lousy, sadly we won't know what changes they made from 5.0.5 through 5.1.0...

Edit: I upgraded and I'm happy I did it.
The update sounds great, no hissing problem, on 5.0.4 I haven't noticed it much.
ANC seems to be better also - the sound is changed so slightly that after a while I can't notice it really.
The difference is there but the sound is so much better than on 5.0.4 with ANC on.
No proximity switch in the app though, not a problem for me because I love this feature and use it all the time.
Great update, happy to see that B&O still updates this cans!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,474 of 1,671
I can only see the update via the desktop version of Beoplay Software update - not the app.

Of version 5.1.1, it says “Support for Microsoft Swift Pair (MSP), easy Bluetooth pairing with Windows 10”

I’m a Mac/iPhone user, so not sure whether this will be of benefit to me, unless there are other improvements.

Anyone tried it yet?

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,477 of 1,671
If these had even 15-20% more volume I would be entirely happy as they sound fantastic and the fit is superb, I don't even have any bluetooth dropout issues. I have tried some of the hacks suggested online to boost the bluetooth volume from my Samsung S10 but it made no difference. I am so borderline on returning these, but I don't think there is a better sounding bluetooth headphone available. It is probably *just* loud enough, but at times I want headroom available to make my music hit hard and its a shame that these cant give me that.

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #1,478 of 1,671
If these had even 15-20% more volume I would be entirely happy as they sound fantastic and the fit is superb, I don't even have any bluetooth dropout issues. I have tried some of the hacks suggested online to boost the bluetooth volume from my Samsung S10 but it made no difference. I am so borderline on returning these, but I don't think there is a better sounding bluetooth headphone available. It is probably *just* loud enough, but at times I want headroom available to make my music hit hard and its a shame that these cant give me that.

I wonder what are the problems with the volume or how loud do you listen to the music.
On my iDevices everything sounds great and there is plenty of loudness.
I'm always listening on 40-50% volume and 50% is LOUD.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #1,479 of 1,671

I also have zero problems with loudness, using iPhone XS. I wonder if it is related to Android phones? Maybe some other Android user could confirm this? Could you test the headphones on one of your friends phones?

Btw, the newest firmware made a HUGE improvement for the ANC at least for me. It seems that they have fine tuned the algorithms quite a bit, not only is the hissing sound minimal but also the ANC is more powerful in blocking external noises all around. Based on a quick test, the improvements are clear in a train and walking in the busy street.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #1,480 of 1,671
Used the cable and the lack of loudness problem disappears for me, more volume than I can take wired. Am running these off both a Samsung S10 and a Hiby R6 Pro. Its a nice headphone and I got it for over £200 less than the original RRP, but I am still on the fence with these. At times the sound is quite harsh but I do like the ANC and the comfort, so will keep listening.

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,481 of 1,671
I've been enjoying the sound quality for the H9i for quite some time now, but I can't wrap my hear around the fact that I'm unable to make calls with the device. As soon as the microphone is enabled it goes into transparency mode and I cannot hear the other person nor any other sound from the computer. I just hear myself talk, like when... You know.. Transparency mode is enabled.

I asked B&O support and they said it's intended behaviour. How am I supposed the make a call not hearing the other person?

"You are correct with your observation.
Transparency mode is always enabled when in a call, using Beoplay H9i. The reason for this, is that it serves as a security feature so you are always aware of your surroundings.
It is currently not possible to change that behavior, so the transparency mode will always be enabled during calls.

The behavior that sounds stop playing whenever your device uses a microphone or the transparency mode is also normal and will occur with every device."

Hi,
I am the proud owner of a set of H9i. I have just returned my second pair to B&O service.

I just want to say that I have been experiencing the exact same problem as you with my H9i's that I just returned. If I tried to make a call or answer a call, they would go into transparency mode. The people on the other end cannot hear what I am saying - just some low crackling noise. I have upgraded to latest firmware, removed the battery for some seconds and reinstalled, restored to factory settings, unpaired from phone Samsung S9+ and re-paired/connected without the problem disappearing.

My H9i history is
- Bought them as a wireless/ANC replacement for my H6
- I like the sound, but it takes a toll when ANC is turned on
- I experience BT dropouts on some busy streets - certain places on my bikeride to work
- With my first pair I had problems that I thought was just caused by bad quality firmware. Sometimes the on/off switch did not work (switch off but they continue playing), sometimes the touch controls stopped working all together, occasionally the transparency mode would turn on without me doing anything.
- I finally wrote to B&O support, returned them and I got a refurbished pair back (a little disappointing, but they looked fine)
- I thought everything was good, but it started to irritate me that people could never seem to hear me, when making calls using the H9i handsfree - I just turned off my headphones and put the phone to my ear. I thought it was just some setting on my phone.
- Recently I tried to get the handsfree mic working as described above, but no luck
- Now I have sent the second pair to B&O service. As part of the return procedure, I had to select which color of "H9" (yes - not H9i) if they did not have any H9i's left - are they discontinuing the H9i's?

Now hopefully I will be getting a H9i that I wanted to get in the beginning.

Have a great day!

Best,
Philip

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,482 of 1,671
Hello all,
Does anyone uses this headphone with wire? Does firmware recent update improove sound to h9 listening with wire?

I use it with Chord MojoPoly combo. Pretty amazing actually.

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,483 of 1,671
Hello all,
Does anyone uses this headphone with wire? Does firmware recent update improove sound to h9 listening with wire?

I use it with Chord MojoPoly combo. Pretty amazing actually.

I use mine wired most of the time. Can’t say I’ve noticed any difference (wired or wireless) going from 5.0.4 (I think it was) to 5.1.1.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #1,484 of 1,671
Long time owner of H6 2nd gens and would really like to know how the H9i and new H9 3rd gens sound in comparison. Trying to figure out what the best sounding wireless headphones money can buy. I love my H6 with FiiO E10K.

Should note that I've tried the following wireless cans so far:
  • Jabra 85h – sound was just ok, not fun. ANC is decent and good fucntionality
  • AiAiAi TMA2 with wireless headband – too much of a V curve, muddy mid-bass
  • Master Dynamic MW60 – best so far

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #1,485 of 1,671
Hi everybody.

Im looking to invest in a pair of headphones where ANC,comfort and sound are key. I’ll mainly going to use them to commute and at the office wearing them almost all day. But also at home from time to time when I want some time for myself so sound quality is really important. Im choosing between the H9i and QC35II and nothing else. These are the best in my opinion, but that another story.

I acually have both at home now but cant decide on which to keep.

When it comes to comfort is there anybody that wear the H9i long periods of time during the day and what is your experience with comfort?

And if you have any other pointers to help me decide feel free to write.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back