B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jul 20, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,201 of 1,671
Ugh. Well, thank you for responding. This is so annoying, I want to love these headphones. It just seems like they were half-baked...

I'm not sure B&O will ever fix this. I've been using their headphones for years (started with the H6, then H7, H9, H5, E8, and now H9i) and every single pair of I've owned has had this problem to some extent (except the H6 of course). It's far less noticeable for me with the E8 & H9i than it was on the H7, H5, and H9 to the point of being barely noticeable so I'd suggest trying to get them swapped out under warranty if it's too bad for you.

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #1,202 of 1,671
I exchanged my Bose headsets 10+ times (500 miles driving in total back and forth to the store)

The Sony wh1000xm2 has horrendous cracking issues

The Bowers and Wilkins has zero comfort and seal

Any other headset has bar minimum noise cancelling.

My friend, As far as I’m concerned these are the best noise cancelling headphones in the industry at the current moment.

You must be really popular with stores. I feel like somewhere around Bose set number six someone in the back must have been saying "can we just tell him no?"

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #1,203 of 1,671
You must be really popular with stores. I feel like somewhere around Bose set number six someone in the back must have been saying "can we just tell him no?"
Different stores each time, plus they only exchange if the store associate can verify the problem, which they did each time.

I’m not going to type each problem but I’d say the worst was bubbling plastic.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #1,204 of 1,671
TBH I'm almost impressed with your dedication. I would have stopped getting new ones after #3.

Actually scrap that I would have stopped after #1 because I really dislike the Bose, but no matter how much I like a product I'm not going to waste everyone's time by returning it in the double digits.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,205 of 1,671
TBH I'm almost impressed with your dedication. I would have stopped getting new ones after #3.

Actually scrap that I would have stopped after #1 because I really dislike the Bose, but no matter how much I like a product I'm not going to waste everyone's time by returning it in the double digits.

I knew I wasn't going to like the Bose within 5 minutes of listening to them, but I'm curious to hear what the QC issues were...

As for my own headphone trials, I recently ended up with the B&W P7 Wireless and the Master & Dynamics MW50+ in a side by side match. The P7 was really nice sounding and much more comfortable than the PX (it isn't even close). Ultimately, I've decided to go with the MW50+ since they were significantly lighter and sounded more natural to my ears. The MW50+ has really clean mids and vocals, where the P7 would sound a bit too bass heavy for my taste.

Don't really see much about Master & Dynamics in this forum, but I highly recommend the brand after my experience with these.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #1,206 of 1,671
I spent some time with the MW60 and I was so unbelievably unimpressed with what are literally the most expensive wireless headphones I'm aware of outside of the Beyer Amiron. The bass was just all blown out, and keep in mind I'm sitting here with the V-Modas on so heavy bass is not something I'm averse to. The MW60 just... eugh. I haven't tried the MW50+ though, I was focused on a full-size pair.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #1,207 of 1,671
I knew I wasn't going to like the Bose within 5 minutes of listening to them, but I'm curious to hear what the QC issues were...

Most of the issues were with firmware. I realized that if you buy a brand new Bose headset, enable google assistant, then try and update via Bluetooth, it totally bricks the firmware. Happened multiple times.

Had melted leather on one pair

Bubbling plastic on another , like the area where the lights are, it literally had bubbles in the film

Had a scratched up logo on another pair

Another problem I had was the headsets weren’t sticking, like when you set the notch to 3 sometimes it would slip to 4.

Another pair had the strands of fabric breaking apart from the ear pads

Look I really wanted to like the Bose, I really did, but I just got fed up. I’m not an average consumer who can live with that stuff.

Then the final nail in the coffin was when I found out Bose doesn’t replace the battery after it’s down.

I already have a $1000 Bose noise cancelling headphone and the quality/support on those are great, I just thought I’d get the same quality on the QC35, I was wrong.

I won’t forget how the Bose lady sent me a handwritten letter so I can’t knock their customer service.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,208 of 1,671
I spent some time with the MW60 and I was so unbelievably unimpressed with what are literally the most expensive wireless headphones I'm aware of outside of the Beyer Amiron. The bass was just all blown out, and keep in mind I'm sitting here with the V-Modas on so heavy bass is not something I'm averse to. The MW60 just... eugh. I haven't tried the MW50+ though, I was focused on a full-size pair.

I've heard similar impressions on the MW60 but haven't tried them myself, they're also much heavier. As far as the MW50+ goes, it seems to be a successor to the MW60 in many ways as it includes USB-C charging as well as replacement over-ear pads in the box. Was really pleasantly surprised with these, enough to give them the ultimate vote of confidence by throwing their box in the recycle bin.

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,209 of 1,671
Can any B&O expert chime on on what the dot in the midle in front of the driver is? My own guess is that it is the microphone for the noise cancellation, can anyone confirm this? (It would make sense, since it is wired)
H9i_left_driver.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,210 of 1,671
Hi!

Anyone have a say about how the H7 wireless compare against the H9i sound wise? Both support the Beoplay app and its EQ modes? How about the quality of the microphone, e.g. during phone calls (I keep reading that the H9 microphone was no good)?

The thing is, as much as I love the H9i I recently got, I still keep thinking that would I be better off with the H7 which are notably cheaper.

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,211 of 1,671
For anyone who’s interested in the comparison, I just bought a pair of H9i’s to compare with my Audeze Sine (looking for more comfort and bass slam)... for what it’s worth I preferred the Sine. I found the ear pressure, due apparently to both the ANC and something about the bass, uncomfortable. The bass was definitely present on the H9i but, surprisingly, it didn’t have much more slam than the Sine. The Sines have a wider soundstage and a more engaging sound. I found the H9i sound with the ANC turned off to be quite hollow and weird sounding. Unfortunately, I also heard, on a couple tracks, the high end distortion that some have complained about. Finally, the separation was a bit better on the Sine.

Don’t get me wrong, the H9i is a nice pair of headphones... definitely comfy... but, for me, the Sine wins this one on one comparison. It does make me wonder how the H6 would fair, with a wired connection and no ANC.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,212 of 1,671
I think it's safe to say that no one looking at the H9i is comparing them to the Sine. They're not aiming at even remotely the same market outside of "headphones."

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,213 of 1,671
I think it's safe to say that no one looking at the H9i is comparing them to the Sine. They're not aiming at even remotely the same market outside of "headphones."

I disagree. I’m in the market for “headphones”, looking for clear, quick, and comfortable cans for around $500. The H9i, while wireless and with ANC, fits that bill. I’m agnostic to the wired/wireless part as long as the acoustics and fit were good, which they are.

Just wanted to add some subjective comparison for anyone looking for one.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,214 of 1,671
I disagree. I’m in the market for “headphones”, looking for clear, quick, and comfortable cans for around $500. The H9i, while wireless and with ANC, fits that bill. I’m agnostic to the wired/wireless part as long as the acoustics and fit were good, which they are.

Just wanted to add some subjective comparison for anyone looking for one.

If you have $500 and don't want wireless the H9i shouldn't be on your radar whatsoever. Comparing bluetooth to wired is dumb to begin with and puts the H9i at a severe disadvantage.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #1,215 of 1,671
If you have $500 and don't want wireless the H9i shouldn't be on your radar whatsoever. Comparing bluetooth to wired is dumb to begin with and puts the H9i at a severe disadvantage.

Fair enough.

In a separate thread I was asking for alternatives to the Sine that I could audition and the most suggested can was the H6. Given that B&O has discontinued the H6 I figured I’d give the H9i a try, given many of the reviews I’ve read put the sound of the H9i very close to the H6.

Any suggestions for something other than the H6 I could try? Alternate question: how does the sound of the H9i compare to the H6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back