B&O Beoplay H4 announced
May 3, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #46 of 67
B&O has finally issued a software update - on iPhone you can update via the Beoplay app. I'm not sure if the update is available on Mac/PC. But it fixes the "double" press error which has been an issue while playing songs in iTunes and on the music app on an iPhone (but not in Spotify and other apps).

Just thought I'd share the good news :)
Thanks for the heads up! Updating at this moment.

May 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #47 of 67
H4 in tangerine looks really cool, but the adverts are done with girls wearing them (and I'm a guy...) ~_~

Tried it out at the stores for a few times and the sound signature really sticks to me. Love it!

May 16, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #49 of 67
Surprised these headphones don't get enough credit/attention. Had these for about 2 months now and they're performing far better than i expected. Very good for the price.

Nice to hear. Im highly interested in these.

Have you have any trouble with louder music in the right ear cup as someone mentioned above?

May 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #50 of 67
Nice to hear. Im highly interested in these.

Have you have any trouble with louder music in the right ear cup as someone mentioned above?
Fortunately my headphone does not have any of those problems. I'm guessing it was a faulty batch as a couple people on here complained about it. The left right volume is the same in my opinion.

I would suggest either getting them from the beoplay website or through a verified seller so that your returns are easier in case your pair has the problem. In my opinion it was probably just a few as bang & Olufsen do take pride in their craftsmanship and their products rarely ever have manufacturing problems.

My only complaint with these is the physical controls are not the most compliant when paired with my iPhone. The long press to turn them off always triggers siri on my phone lol

May 17, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #51 of 67
Fortunately my headphone does not have any of those problems. I'm guessing it was a faulty batch as a couple people on here complained about it. The left right volume is the same in my opinion.

I would suggest either getting them from the beoplay website or through a verified seller so that your returns are easier in case your pair has the problem. In my opinion it was probably just a few as bang & Olufsen do take pride in their craftsmanship and their products rarely ever have manufacturing problems.

My only complaint with these is the physical controls are not the most compliant when paired with my iPhone. The long press to turn them off always triggers siri on my phone lol

How is the leakage from these headphones? Im working in a open plan office, and Im wondering if the H4 will disturb my colleagues.

May 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #52 of 67
How is the leakage from these headphones? Im working in a open plan office, and Im wondering if the H4 will disturb my colleagues.
I work in an open plan office too and have even blasted these on a middle seat on an airplane. Never had an issue with the sound leaking :). The thick pads serve well in preventing any sound leakage

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #54 of 67
Figured I'd give a quick update since I initially posted about having connection/balance problems with my H4 earlier in this thread.

After getting a replacement for my defective H4 a couple months ago, and updating my new H4 to the most recent software, I haven't ran into any further problems. These headphones produce a fun/enjoyable/warm sound. Bass is slightly emphasized, but not to an absurd/detrimental amount. Obviously not about to do any critical listening with this sound signature, but I'm enjoying them nonetheless. Pretty much any modern genre of music (Indie rock, electronic, pop, hip-hop, etc.) has sounded fine. Partially due to the convenience of a bluetooth connection the H4 have become my go to casual listening headset.

If there's any negative it's probably the build quality in some areas. Plastic around the ear cups feels pretty cheap. Expected more premium feel due to brand/price.

Padding around ear cups and headband are super comfy for extended listening sessions. Battery life seems to be about advertised (though I haven't formally measured it myself).

Given the features and sound quality for the price I'm pretty satisfied.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #55 of 67
Figured I'd give a quick update since I initially posted about having connection/balance problems with my H4 earlier in this thread.

After getting a replacement for my defective H4 a couple months ago, and updating my new H4 to the most recent software, I haven't ran into any further problems. These headphones produce a fun/enjoyable/warm sound. Bass is slightly emphasized, but not to an absurd/detrimental amount. Obviously not about to do any critical listening with this sound signature, but I'm enjoying them nonetheless. Pretty much any modern genre of music (Indie rock, electronic, pop, hip-hop, etc.) has sounded fine. Partially due to the convenience of a bluetooth connection the H4 have become my go to casual listening headset.

If there's any negative it's probably the build quality in some areas. Plastic around the ear cups feels pretty cheap. Expected more premium feel due to brand/price.

Padding around ear cups and headband are super comfy for extended listening sessions. Battery life seems to be about advertised (though I haven't formally measured it myself).

Given the features and sound quality for the price I'm pretty satisfied.
Have you compared to other top of the line headphones like the mdr-1000x and pxc 550 or backbeat pro 2. I am inbetween the pxc 550, beoplay H4, and backbeat pro 2. I've heard good things about the beoplay h4 and they support AAC which is is a plus compared to the PXC 550. I tested and owned briefly a pair of mdr-1000x and felt the bass was lacking and the sound quality overall pretty poor compared to my mdr1as.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #56 of 67
Have you compared to other top of the line headphones like the mdr-1000x and pxc 550 or backbeat pro 2. I am inbetween the pxc 550, beoplay H4, and backbeat pro 2. I've heard good things about the beoplay h4 and they support AAC which is is a plus compared to the PXC 550. I tested and owned briefly a pair of mdr-1000x and felt the bass was lacking and the sound quality overall pretty poor compared to my mdr1as.
I haven't had a chance to hear those bluetooth headphones you mentioned. About a year ago I did order a pair of Backbeat Sense SE, but I ended up retuning them due to being unsatisfied with the sound quality. Part of the problem was probably because the headphones did not support AAC, and I was only using the bluetooth connection with Apple devices. I was not well versed in the different bluetooth audio codexes at that time.

In my experience an aptX or AAC connection is really essential, makes the world of difference in sound quality for bluetooth headphones. My H4 were initially not connecting to my laptop with AAC, and when I figured out how to activate the setting it made the world of difference. The H4 were nearly unlistenable on the other audio codexes.

The mdr-1000x, pxc 550 and backbeat pro 2 all have active noise canceling, correct? Personally I'm not a fan of ANC so I purposely avoided headphones with those features. I also knew I would need AAC support over aptX support since iPhones do not support aptX. Combined with the fact that the H4 was on sale when I purchased them they met most of the criteria of what I was looking for. Probably would have preferred an on ear design for improved portability, but the H4 aren't ridiculously large in size as is.

Keep in mind that there is always going to be a compromise in sound quality - and a premium in price - for bluetooth headphones. Therefore I'm not surprised to hear your mdr-1000x did not compare favorably to your mdr1as.

Recommend dwindling down your list based on the compatibility with devices your planning on using the headphones with. Better to optimize your bluetooth headphones for your devices rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #57 of 67
Hello boys and gals!

Last year I bought myself the H6 2nd gen, but unfortunately had to sell them as I needed some cash to repair certain thing, I also had the h3 and Philips Fidelio X1 so although I missed them, did not feel the urge to re buy them asap.
Anyhow fast forward a year and now I was considering getting H6 2nd gen again, but then I see that B&O has these new* h4 out.

What I'd like to know is how do their sound signature compares to that of H6 2nd gen??

I loved everything about H6's except the somewhat recessed vocals,

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #58 of 67
Hello boys and gals!

Last year I bought myself the H6 2nd gen, but unfortunately had to sell them as I needed some cash to repair certain thing, I also had the h3 and Philips Fidelio X1 so although I missed them, did not feel the urge to re buy them asap.
Anyhow fast forward a year and now I was considering getting H6 2nd gen again, but then I see that B&O has these new* h4 out.

What I'd like to know is how do their sound signature compares to that of H6 2nd gen??

I loved everything about H6's except the somewhat recessed vocals,

I would say the H6 second gen's are a different kinda beast imo ha. They have an amazing sound signature but i gave them up for the H4's for the wireless and sound capabilities. The sound on the H4's is definitely a little more everyday consumer friendly sound with a little enhanced thump making it really good for more modern music. The vocals are definitely not recessed like the H6's. The H6 made me hear little notes in my music that i had never heard before but i couldn't get past the vocals and since i listen to a lot of techno, tech house, the h4's filled that void really well. They are a great allrounder suitable for all types of music. The sound signature is pretty fun.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #59 of 67
Hi guys!

Next week I'll receive my first "serious" pair of headphones: B&O H4. I tried to read a lot before to buy, and thanks to Black Friday, with a good price, I decided to buy this one. The headphone look very cool and I read the sound is very good. In the last 2 days I read some info about this product and I found something that I prefer to ask here to confirm it.

I read that It's recommended burn in for 300 Hours at 70% volume (iPad or iPhone) using:
1. Brown Noise 10mins
2. Pink Noise 10mins
3. White Noise 10mins
4. Silent 1min
In that specific order.

What do you think about that? Is it really necessary do that if I want the best sound signature that this headphone can offer?

Honestly I don't know if this is a stupid question, I'm a newbie of this world and I want to do the best to enjoy the best music with this H4.
Thank you guys, and sorry for my bad English (actually I'm working on it) :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #60 of 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back