Azur 640C V2 + SR-225 + X-Can V3, sounds good?
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yuriken

New Head-Fier
What do you guys think?
I'm looking for an amp to go with the Azur 640C V2 and SR-225. Can you come up with any important reasons, why I shouldn't go for the X-Can V3?

Will the Grados get along with the amp, or won't they?
confused.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 8
get it get it get it, the xcan is a fab amp, I also run the 640 as my source which is also every bit as good as an xcan ! I personally use sennheiser cans with mine but the grado's (which I nearly brought) are also a great choice with them.

If your handy you can also modify the xcan, by changing the valves, and later on the capacitors ! View www.rock-grotto.co.uk . The amp is superb to begin wioth and simply stunning when modified. good luck

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 8
You will be very pleased with this combo. I've had both the 225's and RS-1's with it, and can't imagine that you'll find anything better short of the Singlepowers, and RSA Raptor at several times the street price of the XCAN v3 ($300).

Some might find the combo a little bright, but you can improve the bass and soften the highs by just reversing the bowl pads (turn them inside out) - which improves their sound, without muddying their sound like flat pads do.

By the way, the 225's sound almost identical to the RS-1's with the XCAN v3. And... as others have suggested you can improve the sound even more by modifying / rolling tubes of the XCAN v3 (www.rockgrotto.com).

The C 640C or MH CD25 or ADiva 72/82T > XCAN v3 > SR225 combo is hard to beat.

And... if you really want exceptional sound add the rest of the MF Small X series components (DAC, PSU, Tube Buffer) with the deveiled HD650/Cardas, or RS-1's - I doubt you'll find anything better for less than $3000++.

Oh yes... all such observations must be made only after all components are well burnt in (minimum of 100+ hrs) - the sound improves dramatically, and is nothing like their "out of the box" sound.

GF2

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 8
First of all I want to say a BIG Thank You to marcm09 and Gradofan2! If I wasn't completely sure about getting the 640c v2 and the x-can v3... well let's just say that I am now. I can actually hear my wallet weeping, but hey, that's life.

300$ for the amp sure doesn't sound bad. What does is that over here the amp will set me back around 420€ (new).. and I don't think I want to start a process of finding one used.

I'll keep posting here to let you guys know how my upgrading project is going
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by solbergg
Where can you find it for $300?

Hi, I bought my MF X-Can V3 right here for $318 delivered. It is a great amp. Then I sent the MF Master ---> PinkFloyd who modified it. It is currently breaking in (it has maybe 10 hours).

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Okay, now I have the 640c v2 AND the X-Can v3... and all I can say is, that I'm extremely happy that I found the courage to spend some money on them.

English isn't my native language and I probably can't write good enough to tell you how fantastic music sounds nowadays. All the instruments sound very clean (on well recorded cds of course) and are separated (some sort of soundstaging, I guess?) nicely. And the drums.. man the drums really sound different now. I can almost feel the impact and not just hear the sound. Previously a similar effect occurred only with speakers.

One extremely happy (and somewhat poorer) head-fier here
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back