AZ Head-Fi meet impression 3/23/19
Mar 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

koover

Headphoneus Supremus
Please!!!! Leave your impression from the AZ/Phoenix Head-Fi meet from Saturday, 3/23/2019
It's important to share your thoughts, especially anything that was vender/member of the trade supported. If you snapped any pics, please include. Don't be shy guys!

Our groups feedback goes a long way in continuing our efforts for continued success in all future meets. Any and everything you can share with the community will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 24
I heard the Abyss with the Micro Zotl 3. Incredible match and excellent sound. Some of the best I have heard. the iBasso DX200 was in DSD mode as the source.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 24
I’ll post some detailed impression tonight after work. In the meantime, anyone? As @funch said, this info goes a long way to the members of the trade and for the future of our meets.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 24
I’ll post some detailed impression tonight after work. In the meantime, anyone? As @funch said, this info goes a long way to the members of the trade and for the future of our meets.
I was pretty much stuck to the table for iBasso, Linear Tube Audio, Hifiman and Mr. Speakers, at our 2 tables. I hope that people will chime in with their impressions and thoughts. Everyone went to a lot of work for this and manufactures spent some money getting the product available to be shown.

As it has been posted by Paul, Please Enjoy the Music. but I would like to also read impressions! :^)

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 24
As always - thank you very much to everyone who helped put on the meet ( @koover @Coolzo @Destroysall ) and thank you to the very gracious vendors who lent and brought awesome gear ( Schiit Audio, Audeze, @tomb / ECP Audio / Beezar, ZMF / @zach915m, Mr Speakers / @mrspeakers, @redscape , and iBasso / @jamato8 ) - I'm sorry if I missed anyone!

My purpose of the meet was mostly to connect to everyone I haven't seen or spoken to since the last meet and secondly to check out some of the new full-size headphones that have been coming out recently. It looks like we were a bit lower on the total number of people who came - I blame everything that was going on in the valley that day plus road closures that made it a pain for the East Valley folks to get out.

I started listening with the Gumby -> Mjolnir 2 -> Meze Empyrean. They look very nice and are also pretty comfortable. They have a large planar sound that is for the most part very good. I feel there are some slight tonal / timbre issues that leave me a little wanting. I tried both sets of pads and slightly prefer the alcantara pads. The mounting system is excellent - I wish more companies built their pads like this. From top to bottom - this is a very nice product that I know a lot of people are going to really enjoy.

On the same system I tried out the ZMF Aeolus and Verite. These are both great with regards to sound quality. I'd only wish for a little more dynamics. Comparing them to the Focal Clear really makes for a tough decision for an open back dynamic driver can. With the prices on the Focal coming down, it makes it a little more appealing to go the Focal route.

I had a brief listen on the T4 and Walnut setup and unfortunately I was unfamiliar with the music and headphones (HD800 SDR with Dekoni Hybrid Elite). It did slightly remind me of my own personal modified T3 setup, but it was a little more forward and dry compared to my home setup. I'm not sure what part of the chain that would have been attributed to though. Very clean sounding though. The walnut is tiny! It would be nice to hear it in my own system.

I also did a short listening session to the Ether 2. I think I need a little more time with them to get a feel for whats going on. I was unfamiliar with the music on the system. They were pretty neutral and nothing really stood out about them in any way. I'm thinking that it is a good thing though.

Lastly was Audeze - at the last meet we had, the LCD-i4 impressed me enough to purchase a pair - this time, the LCD-4 was what I seemed to enjoy the most. Unfortunately the price and weight will keep me away for some time.

Looking forward to the Winter meet already! Fingers crossed for a nice turnout with nice weather.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 24
This was a very chill and relaxing meet. A big thanks to all the sponsors! It is great to hear all the gear they have to offer! I'm definitely saving to put some of Schiit's gear in my living room stereo. Kudos to everyone who brought their gear. As with every meet, time went fast and I did not get to hear everything I wanted to.

I really liked the DIY M3 amp built by Funch. I also plan to build one down the road as it sounds so good every time I listen to it. Ryan the owner of Redscape Audio developed some great spatial headphone software and a head-tracker that I ended up purchasing. I really enjoy his creation and it is awesome for PC gaming.

A big thanks to everyone who set this up, brought their gear and the great vendors who showcase their products for everyone to hear! :smile_phones:

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 24
Hey, thanks everyone for coming to the meet! Was a little smaller than the last one in terms of attendance (~50 people), but still ridiculous by any measure for a 'local' event in this niche of a niche hobby.

The month of October seems to be relatively clear of events this year (with RMAF being in September). @koover, @Destroysall, and I were considering Saturday, October 12th for the next one. How does this sound to you guys, the community? Insider input welcome as well!

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #13 of 24
Make sure there is no Spring Training or other such ridiculousness on that date! Otherwise, I'm in!
We can blame Garth Brooks, Spring training baseball everywhere in the valley and freeway closures just to name a few. Yeah, it was messed it. I know I said I'd get impressions up yesterday, Monday, but I've been so very busy with work so I'll get it done in the next day or 2.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 24
October 12th would actually work well for me - I'd already be on my way up to Northern Arizona/Utah border area for the 12th-20th... can detour though Phoenix and arrive at my destination a tad later...:)
I'll/we'll make sure we get a block of rooms reserved at the Hilton for you or anyone else that needs accommodations.
October 12th seems like the perfect time to hold the next meet. The weather will also be spot on perfect. Great time to be in Phoenix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back