Ayre DX-5 at $10,000 is a rebadged $500 OPPO.
Dec 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch
So have you given up shilling semi-professionally for Theta to shill semi-professionally for OPPO now? Why you feel the need to spew your crap across every audio site on the Internet is beyond me. Very sorry to see you've finally made it here.

How is it "crap" it is proof that there is a lot of snake oil and rebadging going on in high end audio. Does the truth hurt you that much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras
In the one post by Charles Hanson, he has given more proof about how they have changed that product than you have about what they havnt changed. I dont see how you can say this is snake oil when they have admitted they changed pretty much the whole circuity of the unit.
This is a high end product you pay alot for a little, get used to it. It does not mean that it is snake oil though, it may be snake oil to you but you are an...

How is charles's subjective opinion proof? All they did was change the power supply and took out the 7.1 outputs of the oppo and put in their 2ch audio board. So in what they did was reduce the features of the oppo and changed the power supply, snake oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike
The only way to judge whether it's snake oil or not is see if the changes have made any actual improvements in empirical performance.

Personally I don't see some of their changes making that large of an impact in all honestly. Just because some of them are popular with DIY community doesn't make the changes worthwhile either.

Regardless, it's not a simple rebadge. Now if we were to argue the modifications made aren't worthwhile that would be another conversation entirely.

Actual improvements would require objective data and ayre and its users are no interested in that. Ok so lets go with the ayre not being a 100% rebadge of the oppo since they change out the power supply section and the analog section. Can anyone provide objective data that these "changes" are going to have a possitive impact?

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is it "crap" it is proof that there is a lot of snake oil and rebadging going on in high end audio.

Except it's nothing of the sort. As they've clearly and publicly stated, Ayre use the (excellent) OPPO video board and transport and replace every single other component. That's like saying an oak tree is a rebadged acorn.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except it's nothing of the sort. As they've clearly and publicly stated, Ayre use the (excellent) OPPO video board and transport and replace every single other component. That's like saying an oak tree is a rebadged acorn.

I like that analogy.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Actual improvements would require objective data and ayre and its users are no interested in that. Ok so lets go with the ayre not being a 100% rebadge of the oppo since they change out the power supply section and the analog section. Can anyone provide objective data that these "changes" are going to have a possitive impact?

The thread title states:

Quote:

Ayre DX-5 at $10,000 is a rebadged $500 OPPO.

which is not true.

Now Steve, if you want to argue that the changes done in the Ayre unit are snake oil and have no effect, then that would be a different thread entirely
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, I think there are a number of threads debating the worthiness of these type of mods here on this forum and among the numerous other forums you posted this.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Well it is an obvious rebadge since the [size=small]only thing they might improve on[/size]e and on a measurement basis only [size=small]is the analog section[/size]

2843162390_6008e7b805_o.jpg

why would the analog be important
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch

It is snake oil and a rebadge since they are not changing it for the better and even down grading the unit base on connectivity. You assume that changing out the power supply will have a positive effect but this is an assumption, you and charles and the rest of the ayre fan boys just don't get it. All ayre source units are snake oil and it only takes a quick google search to find that out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby
The thread title states:

which is not true.

Now Steve, if you want to argue that the changes done in the Ayre unit are snake oil and have no effect, then that would be a different thread entirely In fact, I think there are a number of threads debating the worthiness of these type of mods here on this forum and among the numerous other forums you posted this.

I guess that depends how one would use it then, if used with a HDMI connecton then it is a 100% rebadge, I guess you would have to downgrade to a 2ch analog output to not classify it as a 100% rebadge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama
why would the analog be important

That was thrown out there as pure speculation for this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back