Ayre Acoustics "Codex" DAC/Headphone Amp
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #841 of 856
@asquare3376
Could you tell us differences between Ayre and Sony
I wish, but I am using these for entirely different purposes and never bothered to swap places for comparisons. Using the Ayre as a DAC only in my 2 channel, I am more than satisfied. I wanted to use the Sony TA-ZH1ES there but due to its unbalanced-out only limitation, I had to quit the idea.
What I would say is this - If you primarily intend to use the equipment for headphones (private) listening, get the Sony. It supports variety of different connections while the Ayre maxes out in 3.5 or dual 3.5 only. And boy, Ayre runs super hot.

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #842 of 856
So I've been interested in getting the Codex to use for a desktop setup headphone amp + DAC to KEF LSX speakers. I've read the Codex's balanced outputs are the way to go, but is it worth it to use the DAC's non-balanced outputs to powered speakers? Also considering the Woo Audio WA8 headphone amp. Has anyone compared these products or can provide input/advice? Thanks!

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #843 of 856
Hello @wanderingnomad. Having owned an Ayre preamp, two Ayre power amps, and a pair of Pono Players (which is sort of a mini Codex), I can say that their designs are really built around that balanced topology. They sound quite a bit better when going balanced. I've only auditioned the Codex in balanced mode, but I've heard the Pono plenty both in single-ended and balanced mode. Single-ended should still sound really good.

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #844 of 856
Hello @wanderingnomad. Having owned an Ayre preamp, two Ayre power amps, and a pair of Pono Players (which is sort of a mini Codex), I can say that their designs are really built around that balanced topology. They sound quite a bit better when going balanced. I've only auditioned the Codex in balanced mode, but I've heard the Pono plenty both in single-ended and balanced mode. Single-ended should still sound really good.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try the WA8 instead for my setup.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #845 of 856
I see that this post is rather dorment, but I would just like to share that my Codex half-died a few days ago. Precisely the USB connection stopped working. Since everything is shut due to corona quarantine my electronics guy told me that it's most probably a small fuse located right after the USB port, most probably died due to static electricity, either that or the usb controller is dead and needs to be replaced. We will see and I will share when we analyze in detail. Over Toslink it works fine for now.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #846 of 856
I was in the room when a lighting strike hit and saw the codex display go wonky for a second. The strike also fried my modem. I lost USB as well although optical kept working. I worked with I think Gary, maybe Greg Mulder, gmulder@ayre.com and he was great to work with, it was still under warranty and even despite letting them know it was a lightning strike they took care of me great. For the life of me I can't find the email, but I believe yes it was a USB clock or controller as you say that needed to be replaced. Good luck with it.

Apr 26, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #847 of 856
I wonder if anyone is still interested in this product but I've found a rather unusual "thing" about them that might be of interest - I recently added one of those "audiolab dc block" devices to the mains supply (230v/50Hz in Australia) and the improvement in the clarity is rather surprising - this has now replaced the 'traditional' dc blocker circuit, as per Rod Elliot and others - most unexpected improvement. It also works on my Ayre QB-9 DSD dac too.

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #848 of 856
Hi there!

I understand that this thread is nearly, but I’d be happy to receive a piece of advice… Is there any way use iPad Pro 12.9 2021 as a source for Codex via type-C to type-B cable? :)

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #849 of 856
Hi there!

I understand that this thread is nearly, but I’d be happy to receive a piece of advice… Is there any way use iPad Pro 12.9 2021 as a source for Codex via type-C to type-B cable? :)
I'm not 100% sure for iPad but there should be no problem. For Android devices it works perfectly using an app called "USB Player", it also has an option to completely bypass the android audio core and directly transport data to DAC. I tried multiple DACs with the iPad Air 4, but never tried the Codex.

Nov 21, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #850 of 856
Oh, I really hope that you’re right. I have a very good combo of Cowon Plenue L + Wireworld Supernova 7 for optical connection, but I also want to try to use 2tb of iPad too:)

May 2, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #851 of 856
I'm looking for a balanced DAC as front-end to a "90's hi-fi show" Krell-Wilson system. At around $500 used, the Codex seems reasonable value. I don't care for the headphone performance as I have a den or so other headphone amps but it could be useful to have a headphone socket in the lounge. What else should I consider at the $500 mark (no Topping or GD recommendations please).

May 2, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #852 of 856
I'm looking for a balanced DAC as front-end to a "90's hi-fi show" Krell-Wilson system. At around $500 used, the Codex seems reasonable value. I don't care for the headphone performance as I have a den or so other headphone amps but it could be useful to have a headphone socket in the lounge. What else should I consider at the $500 mark (no Topping or GD recommendations please).
Suggestion from a Codex owner - if you are not buying it for the headphone amp, skip it. It's the implementation of the amp-dac together that makes sense with it. Also, as a DAC it looks weird and mostly outdated compared to other components, and not outdated in a charming retro way, but outdated as a late 90's external hard drive. One more thing: it's heating like an owen.

May 2, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #853 of 856
If you can find one for $500 used, I would definitely recommend that on your shortlist of high-value DACs.

The headphone amp aspect is fine, but not the star of the show. Even if you did later use as part of a desktop rig, I would recommend getting an outboard headphone amp for it.

The Codex's USB implementation may not be as fine tuned as more recent offerings, the unit may not accept input from an external clock, and the delta-sigma implementation might not be quite as pleasing as some of the R2R offerings – depending on your preferences – but all in all, it's a fine DAC.

If you can find an Audio-gd R1, or a Schiit Gungnir Multibit for a lower price (A2 is a bit less warm), those would be great as well. I guess 'GD' meant, Audio-gd, but I'm going to recommend it regardless. With the latest USB input and firmware, or with a great digital-to-digital device, it's nice.

May 28, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #854 of 856
It’s tough to get information on the Codex so asking the experts here: Thanks
  1. When was the last firmware released and what’s its name?
  2. Does the Codex do DSD natively as a result of any firmware or is it still via DoP.

May 28, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #855 of 856
It’s tough to get information on the Codex so asking the experts here: Thanks
  1. When was the last firmware released and what’s its name?
  2. Does the Codex do DSD natively as a result of any firmware or is it still via DoP.
Can’t update firmware and DoP only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back