Axpona 2019 Head-Fi Meetup - Saturday, April 13th

Will you be attending the Head-Fi reception at Axpona this year.

• YES - I will be attending as a lone audio REBEL!!

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • YES - I will be there +1

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • YES - I will be there +2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES - I will be there +3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Not this year.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34
PLEASE RSVP VIA THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!!
You CAN change your answer later if you need to.​

**Special thanks to Brian at Audiohead.com for sponsoring the meet up**​

There will be a reception/lunch for Head-Fi members at the coming AXPONA / EAR GEAR expo in Chicago. Thats right, free pizza. I mean, you could buy a sandwich in the hotel for $15 if you want, but that would be very non-audiophile-ish of you.

Show is April 12th-14th at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel & Convention Center
Reception will be held from 12-1:30 pm on Saturday the 13th

The place is the same as last year, that big room to the right just behind registration off of the main convention entrance. we will try to get some signs up this time.

COUPON CODE!
Head-Fiers can use code HF2019 for $5 off the 3 day pass. There is also a student pass available which will get you in any one day for $10 (ages 15-25, must show ID).

PLEASE RSVP VIA THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!!
We need to know how much pizza to order.
This is not a 'bring your gear' meet. Just a little time set aside for Head-Fiers to meet up with friends new and old, and banter about all the cool gear at the Expo!!

PLEASE RSVP VIA THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!!​

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 34
Unfortunately this year will be the first AXPONA I miss in some time. I hope you guys have a blast at the show, and hopefully I'll get to catch up with the Chicago crew again before 2020.

but that would be very non-audiophile-ish of you
But what if the sandwich is incredibly meaty and moist around the middle?

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 34
You had me at PIZZA, but working the Noble booth means little time, but I MUST try Chicago style pizza. I dunno what I am going to do.
It’s not usually real chicago pizza. It’s inexpensice pizza. But there is lots of it. Maybe we can convince Brian to snag some giordanos.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 34
Watagump, if you really want to experience some of the best pizza Chicago has to offer, make plans one night to go to Pequod's. It's not too far from the hotel, but expect a decent wait. Last year we ordered our pizza shortly after arriving and we were seated just before it was ready. I don't get it often, but Pequod's is probably the best pizza I've ever had, full stop.

Google Maps

Edit: Google's saying 30 minutes, so it's a bit longer than I recalled it being. Still, 200% worth the trip.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 34
Watagump, if you really want to experience some of the best pizza Chicago has to offer, make plans one night to go to Pequod's. It's not too far from the hotel, but expect a decent wait. Last year we ordered our pizza shortly after arriving and we were seated just before it was ready. I don't get it often, but Pequod's is probably the best pizza I've ever had, full stop.

Google Maps

Hey Brian, thx, I sure don't mind waiting, we did in NY. I did love when they came out and asked if there were any parties of 6-7 and we said yes so they took us past people in front of us. We had a nice cheer as we strolled by the losers, I mean people we past. :wink:

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 34

Google Maps

Edit: Google's saying 30 minutes, so it's a bit longer than I recalled it being. Still, 200% worth the trip.

I'd definitely agree with this recommendation. There are some quirks in nomenclature that mean that mean Pequod's is a pan pizza rather than a deep dish... but Giordano's is a stuffed pizza and folks still call that deep dish. Lou Malnati's is the easiest one to find that is actually deep dish, but they're all similar enough styles that the differences don't matter.

Pequod's is going to have a caramelized/slightly burnt crust that's super tasty. Or you can go to Burt's Place very near there which does a similar style as it was started by one of the co-founders of Pequod's (though he died a few years back.)

Lou Malnati's is relatively easy to find and has a crunchy buttery crust that is distinct from the others which are more bread-like. This is the convenient one that I recommend to folks visiting who can't make the trip to more obscure individual places.

Giordano's is the most common, but for me, easily the least delicious. I mean, they're all a mixture of dough, cheese, and tomato sauce so it's going to be worth eating... but stuffed pizza is the least interesting format in my opinion and if I was going to get one, it'd be from The Art of Pizza (which is not out in the suburbs, so it'd be inconvenient for folks staying in Schaumberg.)

With some of these places, you can call ahead about seating and/or ordering as long as you know in advance what your group size will be and what you'd all want for toppings.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 34
I have 3 nights I can do stuff, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, but I doubt people will be around on Thursday. I am saying this since the show doesn't start until Friday. Realistically, that leaves an option to try more than 1 place, so whoever is down, we can make plans either here, or at the show.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 34
I have 3 nights I can do stuff, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, but I doubt people will be around on Thursday. I am saying this since the show doesn't start until Friday. Realistically, that leaves an option to try more than 1 place, so whoever is down, we can make plans either here, or at the show.

I'd definitely recommend getting into Chicago at least once (and that means potentially that Thursday night just because you won't have other stuff going on) where you'd have a wider range of options for food and entertainment. And I don't know if you'll want super heavy pizza all 3 nights... Some folks can handle that much rich, heavy food repeatedly but you may want to consider devoting one of those evenings to something a little different. There are classics like Chicago dogs or Italian beefs, tons of good brewpubs spread around if you like craft beer, along with just a huge range of great restaurants of all different styles.

Also, I didn't think to mention it before but there are some places that do a Chicago thin crust, which is cut tavern style but ends up having a crust reminiscent of the buttery deep-dish crust. That might be easier to work in one evening rather than 3 straight nights of deep-dish/pan/stuffed pizzas.

In case it wasn't already clear, I do enjoy food, so if my schedule allows, I'd be down to meet up with folks and talk food and headphones (and whatever else) at least one of the evenings. It's not too much of a hike to get out to Schaumberg for me but it'd be great if folks wanted to meet up either in or closer to the city!

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 34
Well the wife is going up to Munster,IN to see her nieces new little one that weekend so just another hours drive for me to make it to Axpona for the day Saturday so will see you guys there talking to you @TubasInTheMoonlight and @Watagump .

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 34
Well the wife is going up to Munster,IN to see her nieces new little one that weekend so just another hours drive for me to make it to Axpona for the day Saturday so will see you guys there talking to you @TubasInTheMoonlight and @Watagump .

Very cool, looking forward to it, its been a long time.

Mar 10, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 34
Noble will be at booth 8431, Audiophile Zone will be providing Chord gear connected to Ipads running tidal. Both Chord gear and Noble should be available for purchase.

Capture.png

Mar 10, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 34
My purchase allotment is zero as I’m going to SoCal also and my wife loves me but not that much ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back