Axiom Speakers
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RogerB

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone own any Axiom speakers? I've been browsing their website lately thinking about getting a set of bookshelves from them. The M22 looks sweet!!

Any comments?

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 8
For the price, they are very good speakers

but they are just not nearly as refined as other Canadians such as PSB Golds, or Paradigm Studio series

I'd put them in line with the Paradigm Monitors... which are good, but not great speakers

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 8
I have purchased the Axiom M60s a couple of years ago and let me tell you I have never regretted my decision. I have also the VP150 (center) and two QS8s. (surround) My amp is a Yamaha RX-V1800.

I have also heard the M22s in the past, they are very good but don't forget to purchase a good musical subwoofer to match them because their bass is almost non-existant below 80Hz. The Axiom EP500 or the HSU VTF-3 MK3 would be perfect.

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 8
I've owned a pair of their M3ti speakers for a few years. They've since replaced/upgraded the M3ti so I can't speak to their current offerings but what I've got a like a lot. I think they're tough to beat for the price. Bass is a bit weak but they have solid imaging and overall a very clean sound.

I've not checked their web site in a while but Axiom likely still has a very liberal return policy that will let you audition them and return them for a refund if they're not for you.

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 8
I own Axiom M60, QS4, VP150. I bought them a few year ago. I heard newer version is even better. Anyway, the speakers are very good at their price. However, i use them in home theater and casual listening.

Another brand you may want to look at aperion.com

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone own any Axiom speakers? I've been browsing their website lately thinking about getting a set of bookshelves from them. The M22 looks sweet!!

Any comments?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have also heard the M22s in the past, they are very good but don't forget to purchase a good musical subwoofer to match them because their bass is almost non-existant below 80Hz. The Axiom EP500 or the HSU VTF-3 MK3 would be perfect.

I have a pair of the M22's in a small room system (Nearly near field listening). The various audio Mag reviews available on the web very accurately capture their talents. For the money they are very good. Giving up any Bass for a very good mid freq response, speed, and tonal clarity. They also have suprisingly very good treble response also. If they are driven really hard they will start to break down. They match extremely well with Musical Subs. Pfillion's recommendations are excellent choices.

I also have a set of Wharfdale 9.1 Diamonds in a small Sunroom that are extremely musical for the money. Surprising amount of Bass for such a small speaker. The available audio reviews accurately portray the 9 series Diamonds. Very surprising what can be found out there for the money due to manufactures moving production off shore.

If you move up in price and size - you will have a large improvement in refinement and dynamics. And the selection choices will drive you crazy....!

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price, they are very good speakers

but they are just not nearly as refined as other Canadians such as PSB Golds, or Paradigm Studio series

I'd put them in line with the Paradigm Monitors... which are good, but not great speakers

I disagree. I would place Axioms clearly above the Paradigm Monitors, and quite on par with the Studio series. I have heard M22s in direct comparison with Monitor 9s, and the Axioms completely outclassed the Paradigms in everything except bass extension (quite naturally given the cabinet size differences). My brother originally thought he was "downgrading" to the M22s as he was moving to a smaller speaker for WAF factors, but the Monitor 9s sounded wooly and indistinct in comparison.

And though I haven't done a direct comparison, I've done several auditions of the Paradigm Studio series, and going back to the Axioms (I own the M60s and owned the M3s for several years), it was really a matter of personal preference - I didn't see either brands' offerings as "better" than the other at that level. But looking at it that way, the Axioms are a no brainer considering their fantastic pricing. Axioms bat well above their price point, imo. If anyone has heard the M60s and knows of a speaker at <$1K that's better, I'd love to hear it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd also like to point out that Axiom, as a company, is simply outstanding and goes well out of their way to take care of their customers. I know of many regulars on their forums (my brother included) who have received free speakers and/or subs pretty much as thanks for their contributions, or as part of contests as simple as coming up with names for new products. And not just their cheaper offerings, but top of the line speakers and subs. Heck, my brother even got a sweet gift just for being the first to hit 10K posts.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm torn between the M22 and a sub or the M60's.

Decisions decisions decisions......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back