Axelvox HD 241 sacrificed to resurrect a K 240 Monitor (pics included)

1. Shoewreck
    I think you know of the cheaper AKG knock-offs. I've recently bought one, intending to use it as parts source to my ol'beat K 240 Monitor. I've done a little pictorial:
    IMG_0735.JPG
    These two do look pretty similar. You guess which one is a classic.
    I did try these for a short time: good clamping force, lots of bass, enough treble to shine through. Mids are not as prominent. Headstage is rather big, with good postioning. I actually did like the sonic signature and would recommend these phones, given the price.
    The cable is a bit microphonic, slightly stiffer than original AKG.

I gently pulled the nameplate out and unscrewed the small cover. Please note that thread pitch is different, so you'd better not use Axelvox screws to reassemble AKGs.
    IMG_0738.JPG Plastic molds are very similar, just somewhat coarse. Headband attachment oar feels less brittle, but only time would tell. There is a small hook that holds the rubber band. It makes reassembly a bit easier.
    Cable attachment is the same.
    Once unsoldered and unscrewed the headband is free. Please compare the old and the new one:
    IMG_0740.JPG
    As you can see, I had to use heatshrink to keep AKG headband pieces together. I was going to reassemble the headband keeping as many original AKG parts as possible.
    IMG_0741.JPG
    AKG parts look fine, rubber band is worn and due to be replaced. Screws look lamost identical.
    IMG_0742.JPG
    Headband refresh is done. As you see, most parts are easily interchangeable. The only major difference is baffle, driver and cardan:
    IMG_0746.JPG
    AKG...
    IMG_0747.JPG
    ... and Axelvox. A bigger driver does require some modification to it's housing. Actually, the guys are very picky about the sound, note the sticker:
    IMG_0743.JPG
    The lids look similar, except the ornamental rings of AKG:
    IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    The quality of plastic feels worse overall: it's lighter and more resonant. Shame on me I used a gas oven to dry the smaller lids and they deformed. Happily they're pretty the same inside:
    IMG_0745.JPG
    The reassembly was rather boring, so no more pics from here on. I'll post the final looks later if anybody is interested.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. Shoewreck
    Now, the whole thing:
    IMG_0759.JPG
    I guess only an experienced Head-Fier would notice there's something wrong with these AKG's.