AWESOME BINAURAL ALBUMS!
Sep 10, 2010 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
As most of you know, I am a big fan of binaural recordings...especially the dummy head ones. One of the most frequently asked questions here on head-fi is "Where to get good binaural recordings?". Usually one or two of these will be recommended but not many.

So, to facilitate the search, here are my favorite binaural recordings and where to buy them. I will continually update this as I find other great binaural recordings.
biggrin.gif

1. Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra; Camille Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 (Organ)

One of the best binaural recordings ever done IMHO.

2. Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps; Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances

Another fantastic recording but not as good as the first one IMHO, mainly due to the material being played.

3. Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Up Close

A nice and fun binaural recording. Instruments move around you and it really does sound like you are there. Here is a video recorded during these "Fritz" sessions:

4. Glenn Gould - Bach's Goldberg Variations reperformance

Fantastic sound done with amazing technology. Contains both a normal stereo recording as well as one done with a binaural dummy head.

5. Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here - Live At The Shrine reperformance

Fantastic sound done with amazing technology. Contains both a normal stereo recording as well as one done with a binaural dummy head.

6. Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff: Zenph Re-performance

7. "Stax Raumklang CD" aka Stax "Space Sound" CD

A demo disc of what early binaural could do circa 1988.

8. Can - Flow Motion

Funky German beats to kick back and listen to on a lazy, hazy day. This well produced album shows off what can be done with a dummy head and clever mixing and overdubs. Not for everyone but I totally dig this CD.

9. Solid Brass - Gershwin to Sousa (not a dummy head recording)

A great recording done by none other than the great Joe Grado of HP-1000 fame! Not done with a dummy head but it still retains many of the spatial cues critical to binaural recordings. A real fun recording and it also sounds great on speakers.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 51
Great list. I'll certainly be picking up some if not all of these.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 51
What cans do you use that really make binaural recordings impress your ears?  My Grado SR-225i's do a decent enough job, but my Denon AH-D2000's really leave something to be desired here.

I am not sure if this track was recorded binaurally, but the sound staging is just amazing:
Long Time by Buddy and Julie Miller

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 51
Here is a link to a documentary about spatial audio.  There is a track "beep beep love" by Kids at Risk that was recorded binaurally.  It sounds nice, but like the host tells you later it really was not the way to go especially compared to 5.1 surround.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywCLyhy4Rs

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 51

Quote:
Here is a link to a documentary about spatial audio.  There is a track "beep beep love" by Kids at Risk that was recorded binaurally.  It sounds nice, but like the host tells you later it really was not the way to go especially compared to 5.1 surround.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywCLyhy4Rs

That engineer needs to listen to Can.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 51
8. Can - Flow Motion

Funky German beats to kick back and listen to on a lazy, hazy day. This well produced album shows off what can be done with a dummy head and clever mixing and overdubs. Not for everyone but I totally dig this CD.

I wish they had done this stuff (with regards to the recording and production) earlier in their career because even though the quality of the sound may be excellent, they haven't really been able to maintain the same quality of music after Future Days.

If the recording and production quality on this one were combined with the quality of music on, say, Tago Mago --- that would blow my mind.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 51

Quote:
I wish they had done this stuff (with regards to the recording and production) earlier in their career because even though the quality of the sound may be excellent, they haven't really been able to maintain the same quality of music after Future Days.
If the recording and production quality on this one met the quality of music on, say, Tago Mago --- that would blow my mind.

Sad...I know.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 51
Due to this thread and amazon comments I just ordered 

Richard strauss 
ottmar liebert 
Art tatum. 

I feel so poor now but I'm so excited at the same time!

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 51
thanks heaps for the thread. 

i have found demo files of binaural recordings in the past (I suspect it was a thread on this site some time ago, but can't recall for sure), and i was blown awayby tyem.

i'm a fan of Ottmar, anyway, so just gought the album from Amazon :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back