AVOID! Please, for your hearing, stay away from iBasso DX50
Sep 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #31 of 177
Yea, that needs to be fixed.

Just an FYI for anyone that comes across this bug, Rather than holding a power button or battery pull first, pull the IEM plug out of the jack immediately. Then, proceed to troubleshoot.
Thanks man, everytime it happens I usually just bang my head against a concrete wall until the sound stops. But your method seems good too :)

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #32 of 177
Thanks man, everytime it happens I usually just bang my head against a concrete wall until the sound stops. But your method seems good too :)

LOL I guess that would explain your puffy face. I suggest investing in a ice pack, or seven. Maybe I'm just in a helpful mood today? :xf_eek:

Seriously though, when the volume all of a sudden becomes deafening and/or painful, the first reaction will likely be to pull it out of your ears not unplug the headphones. That works as a quick fix for the person but very sensitive IEMs could be damaged. Especially since people seem to like the DX50 sound on high gain. :blink:

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #33 of 177
You would think. But, panic sets in, understandably, and you try to turn it down or off before unplugging. You'll take them out of your ears, probably lol, but leave them plugged into the player. Especially the first time. And if it's a particularly sensitive low impedance set, it could cause damage to the IEM.

Just having read this will create a neural link that could connect when it happens.
Whoops, must've missed it. Second time's a charm?

Doesn't hurt and the first time reaching for the v control wouldn't be uncommon.

I can't believe that they would even ship one after they became aware of this particular problem. You can sort trough OS nuisances but this sounds dangerous.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #34 of 177
Reading this I felt a sudden chill and remember those days of walkman where I would press the play button and experience that loudness.
Quote:
  The iBasso DX50 player freezes constantly and cannot play music correctly. It almost made me go deaf.

My DX50 came running on v1.16, the newest firmware. When I was listening to some tunes, I simply pressed the volume-up button a few times, the audio instantly jumped to 255 (max value) from 180. The unit then froze at 255 volume and kept blasting music into my ears. I was unable to volume down, or pause the player. I had to yank my IEMs out of my ears to avoid further damaging to my ears, take the battery out of my DX50 and force-restart the player.

This happened multiple times since the 3 days that I have owned the player. It was playing regular old 320kbps .mp3 files when it did this. No doubt this thing has caused damaged to my hearing, as well as damage to my IEM's.

And this is only the tip of the iceberg for software problems. The UI is as terrible as the AK100. When I reviewed the AK100 I said that the AK100's UI is worse than any Made in China POS there was. Now I have been proven wrong by iBasso. If you want to experience UI hell, purchase either one. 

Hardware defects - the player has parts loosely put together. It creaks when I hold down the bottom part of the player, like if the pieces were coming loose.

When I got my Fiio X3, I thought it was ugly and had terrible UI (I mean, which idiot though it logical to press UP to skip track?). So I ordered the DX50 right away, thinking it would be much better. My conclusion now that I have both - X3 is light years ahead of the DX50, in build quality, sound, and UI. 

iBasso needs to just quit. Before they get a lawsuit on their hands. Or include a warning in their packaging that says "the player may choose to play at max volume for no reason other than our fail. May cause permanent hearing loss". 

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #36 of 177
Does this happen often? I'm on the same firmware but haven't had that happen before with the volume.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #37 of 177
If this happens so often to the thread owner, I would like to see video evidence.  We need to see this event actually happen and it needs to be documented.  He is the only person this has happened to.  Not that I don't believe it, but without actual proof of something this severe...this thread is baseless.  

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #38 of 177
  iBasso are aware of the situation and looking into it, many others are experiencing the issue, it's been well documented in the main thread. I agree it's not acceptable, mines done it three times in 2 weeks. in saying this though it's also very random and is taking time to solve. May I suggest if it happens again rather than pull the battery out simply hold the power button for over 6 seconds this will hard reset the player.

LOL don't forget to avoid half the audiophile DAPs out there! They all have issues and dysfunctional problems too!

Just buy an iPod Touch. Best. DAP. Eva.
tongue.gif

q.q wow I'm SO glad I went with a good ole hm801! It may have had it's bugs but NOT ANY MORE yay >.>

I almost bought one of these really glad I did not as I don't use iems. There is no "yanking" only CRAP BREAK EARS OR $500 HEADPOHONES >.> 

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #39 of 177
  If this happens so often to the thread owner, I would like to see video evidence.  We need to see this event actually happen and it needs to be documented.  He is the only person this has happened to.  Not that I don't believe it, but without actual proof of something this severe...this thread is baseless.  

Wrong Cel also mentioned he had an issue with it as well in the first like 3 posts. Cmon man this is a serious thing, I've had this happen to me before as well an it is not something to casually dismiss because YOU didn't experince it. It's painful and well scares the heck out of you. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 177
Who else had their DX-50 instantly jump from 180-255?  If I missed anyone posting that information, I apologize.  I've not seen anyone else state they had their unit instantaneously change from a low volume output to maxed out, yet multiple times as well.   If you are implying that I don't care about the issue, or that I feel it isn't a serious issue...you are exceptionally wrong.  

Visually document the problem for others to actually see it happen.  You took my intention as a dissmissal of the event even though I clearly stated otherwise.  The intent was to allow other potential buyers to make an informed purchasing decision based on hard evidence of a potentially serious problem.   Don't be lazy, document your serious problems well so others can see the problems and can have important information on the product they might want to buy.  

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #41 of 177
Doesn't hurt and the first time reaching for the v control wouldn't be uncommon.

I can't believe that they would even ship one after they became aware of this particular problem. You can sort trough OS nuisances but this sounds dangerous.

I understand the concern for one's hearing. I am sure none of you go to live rock concerts for the same reason :wink:

I have been using mine a ton since I have had it and never had the volume problem. But here is my suggestion until this is documented fixed. It's known that this only happens when changing the volume while playing. If you decide you need to raise the volume while playing, pause play, raise volume, make sure the player volume stopped where you want it, then hit play again. Yes, I know you shouldn't "have" to do this...

Oh, and if you have extremely sensitive iem's, only use the low gain setting.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #42 of 177
  Patience is the solution to situations like this.  The topic creator had no patience and jumped the gun on the iBasso DX50 purchase.  He clearly knew how this hobby works and was aware of the travesty of an OS experience that is commonly found in most of the Hi-Fi portable players.  IBasso also had no patience and rushed the product.  

Not everyone has the time and motivation to read hundreds of post to know that it's common, at least I certainly didn't know that "fact" hence I appreciate thread with clear message and title like this.

Funny thing is, in any other market this kind of things (or just bad user experience in general) would almost certainly lead to company's demise if repeatedly done. Patience bunch we are.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #44 of 177
I helped develop some Android based software in the past, it seems the DX-50 might be running on a 4.0 platform and I do have experience with that.  Without video evidence of exactly what happened prior to and after the event, there isn't squat anyone can do to help diagnose the problem.  Play the Sherlock Holmes card and try to gather those who had an instant jump from low to high output together and see if they had anything in common.  What batch is their unit from, what type of file was playing, was the unit paused, did they properly upgrade the firmware, are they near any strong wi fi signals, did they get something sticky into the volume button without knowing, could the battery be faulty and hiccuping voltage, did you accidentally push another button while raising the volume, or vice-versa, has the player been dropped or tampered with at all, are there any loose jacks or buttons on the unit, did the screen flicker or dim prior to or after the freeze?  With some of these questions definitively answered, I ( or some other devs I know ) might be able to confirm it is a hardware problem or the software.  If it is a software problem, then it is just in need of an update.  If it is a hardware problem...well that is not good.

Based on what I know about the general platform this DX-50 was built on, there is no power attenuator or dialing system hard coded in a way like a volume knob would be.  You can't just crank it up to the max output in an instant, it has to be gradual or else it won't register with the software.  I do not know what iBasso did in their design but the removal of such an important safety device such as " enabling the device to instantly jump up to max volume just like a pc volume would do with the click of a mouse button " seems like something that would not be overlooked.  I could be wrong.  Without seeing the problem first hand, all I can do is sit and wait for someone to post a video of the entire event so I can see it, or wait for iBasso to respond and confirm this dreadful problem.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 177
I understand the concern for one's hearing. I am sure none of you go to live rock concerts for the same reason
wink.gif

I have been using mine a ton since I have had it and never had the volume problem. But here is my suggestion until this is documented fixed. It's known that this only happens when changing the volume while playing. If you decide you need to raise the volume while playing, pause play, raise volume, make sure the player volume stopped where you want it, then hit play again. Yes, I know you shouldn't "have" to do this...

Oh, and if you have extremely sensitive iem's, only use the low gain setting.

Point was that it could cost them financially and in reputation. This should be job one and any other bugs take a back seat. It's also very different if you bump your own head or somebody else gives it a whack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back