Aviation-Fi: Calling all pilots
Mar 19, 2010 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jjcapurro

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else on Head-Fi a pilot? GA or Pro?

I'm currently an Instrument rated Private Pilot with High Performance, Complex, and as of yesterday Taildragger endorsements! And I'm just about ready for my commercial check-ride. Middle of next week should do it. :)

What do you guys fly? How often? What got you into it?

Mar 22, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm 15 hours into my Private training. I'm just about to solo actually. However, I got destroyed on my pre-solo oral exam and haven't been back to the airport since. I guess I need to build some confidence back up before taking the skies once more.

I got into it because it has been a life dream of mine.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 11
Excellent! I remember my first solo. It was an amazing experience to say the least. Get back to the airport and do a little more ground and you should be up in the air in no time! Trust me, it's worth it!

Where's all the other pilots? One expensive hobby begets another right?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Maybe I can get more people interested in flying if I tell them it's an activity that requires you to wear head(set)phones while you do it...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crashed my hang-glider after 10 seconds.

Ouch! Did you get back up and continue? Or walk away at that point? Flying certainly is not without risk, but that risk can be greatly reduced with training, and practice.

I've often thought of trying hang gliding... I have about 5 flights in a Groeb sailplane (glider), but never tried hang gliding.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 11
Ever since I was a kid ( am still very young, I think haha) I've always wanted to be a pilot or an astronaut. The closest I've been to flying an aircraft is by Flight Simulator X and X plane on my ipod touch hahaha. By the way landing is the most difficult for me. I can never line up properly with the runway. There was also a career exhibition at my school once and I did get to try out one of the "real" simulators used by real pilots, COOL!. At this point am still interested in Aviation and one of my major area of study is Jet Propulsion Systems. I've been involved in a study utilizing Algae as a Jet fuel to power an aircraft, so am still working with planes I guess!! haha.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Got my commercial a while back, and have my checkride scheduled for Monday morning to get my Certified Flight Instructor certificate.

Hey Buff, did you get your Private yet? Anyone else a pilot or aviator (gliders, balloons, airships, helicopters...)??

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 11
My dad is a CFII. We visited EAA Oshkosh last week...which reminds me I meant to start a thread about seeing the flying car. I have a logbook with about 60 hours in it, but some of those hours are from when I was 5. :)

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
jjcapuro, I'm assuming you fly out of North Las Vegas?

I fly usually out of Henderson Executive, but I have operated out of North Las Vegas quite a bit.

Oshkosh must have been quite an experience! I'm trying to set it up for next year or maybe the year following to go and camp under the wings on the field. Aviation Mecca... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back