Avara Custom/Universal IEM Thread
Mar 7, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #121 of 192
A nice design. :) The cables too. I also have the AV1 (non-S). And it has a pretty smooth, and balanced sound signature. It's kind of like the combination of AV2 lean sparkly sound, and AV4 voluminous weighty notes. Your impression is funny, but I kinda get it. :D What source are you pairing it with? The glowing green looks so cool. :thumbsup:

Same as it has alway been. Using a LG G6 with the Quad DAC. with Spotify & Tidal Premium with Highest quality? Currently using a Shangling M1 to test it out. Cables are by a local DIYer also.

well this makes me want to get the other avaras.. maybe something that complement my av6..

I would actually go for the AV2 to compliment the AV6. AV6 = Musical, Easy, Slightly Warm listening AV2 = Technical yet Enjoyable. Every accurate while smooth.

I would say AV2 is something, you wont get tired or fatigue from listening. AV6 can be slightly overwhelming at times hence I feel the AV2 is a good switch back to neutrality. Haha but thats my own opinion!

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #122 of 192
Same as it has alway been. Using a LG G6 with the Quad DAC. with Spotify & Tidal Premium with Highest quality? Currently using a Shangling M1 to test it out. Cables are by a local DIYer also.

I would actually go for the AV2 to compliment the AV6. AV6 = Musical, Easy, Slightly Warm listening AV2 = Technical yet Enjoyable. Every accurate while smooth.

I would say AV2 is something, you wont get tired or fatigue from listening. AV6 can be slightly overwhelming at times hence I feel the AV2 is a good switch back to neutrality. Haha but thats my own opinion!
Very nice. I also had a couple of DIY cables made for the AV2, and 4. But preferred the stock cable because it's thinner, and more comfortable.

AV2 with a warm source creates good synergy IMO. Try it with the WM1A if you haven't. It sounds GOOD. :)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #123 of 192
Very nice. I also had a couple of DIY cables made for the AV2, and 4. But preferred the stock cable because it's thinner, and more comfortable.

AV2 with a warm source creates good synergy IMO. Try it with the WM1A if you haven't. It sounds GOOD. :) I like that pairing more than with Zeus-R. Both neutral, but the AV2 just sounds clearer, with no hiss. YMMV.

Dont think I will get a chance to try that as I wont be considering to invest in another Dap but sure a good suggestion for others. yes. AV2 is very.. clear.. hence the reason I said it sounds dry and technical sometimes. but good still. =) Happy Listening!

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #124 of 192
The lower lineup isn't to be underestimated IMO. I'm pleased by the AV1 sound quality, comparing it with AV2, and 4. Try the AV3, if you like AV6. They share a similar sound signature, but with different tuning idea.
How would you compare 2, 3 and 6? As I get it 2 goes for allrounder with focus on being detailed, rather than natural, right? What is the idea for 3 & 6 from your point of view?

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #125 of 192
How would you compare 2, 3 and 6? As I get it 2 goes for allrounder with focus on being detailed, rather than natural, right? What is the idea for 3 & 6 from your point of view?
Kind of, the 2 IMO is tuned to be slightly brighter, with leaner note size. It focuses more on clarity, and not warmth. Personally, I like the 2 paired with a warmer source for all kinds of songs. As for the 3, and 6, they both have a bigger bass than the 2. Making them sound slightly warmer, and lush. The 6 has more detail, resolution, and bigger soundstage than the 3. Both are tuned to be more fun, with the midrange placed a bit further behind in positioning. The 4 is the most natural of the lineup IMO. It has a linear neutral sound character, with a slight boost in bass.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #126 of 192
Kind of, the 2 IMO is tuned to be slightly brighter, with leaner note size. It focuses more on clarity, and not warmth. Personally, I like the 2 paired with a warmer source for all kinds of songs. As for the 3, and 6, they both have a bigger bass than the 2. Making them sound slightly warmer, and lush. The 6 has more detail, resolution, and bigger soundstage than the 3. Both are tuned to be more fun, with the midrange placed a bit further behind in positioning. The 4 is the most natural of the lineup IMO. It has a linear neutral sound character, with a slight boost in bass.
Thanks for the info. Two more questions, if you don't mind =)
So if I get it right the #6 is more V-shaped tuning than #3? Аnd #4 is a linear one with slight increase in midbass and 2-4khz for emphasized vocals? #4 aren't sharp sounding aren't they? I really hate that 7khz peak many manufacturers tend to use now.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #127 of 192
Thanks for the info. Two more questions, if you don't mind =)
So if I get it right the #6 is more V-shaped tuning than #3? Аnd #4 is a linear one with slight increase in midbass and 2-4khz for emphasized vocals? #4 aren't sharp sounding aren't they? I really hate that 7khz peak many manufacturers tend to use now.
Yes, the 3 and 6 are more v-shaped. And the 4 is smooth, luke-warm neutral, with a good extension, both sub-bass and treble. Not sharp, or sibilant at least for me. More like gentle, and mellow.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #133 of 192
I haven't been using the Zeus much since I got the AV4 because of its annoying hiss. The AV4 is definitely warmer than the Zeus. It sounds smoother, but less detailed. The Zeus portrays every notes very specifically, without being too analytical. The midrange is clear, and bass tight. The AV4 I think has a larger, and bloomier bass which suits male vocals, and deep/low frequency instruments well. The treble is less prominent on the AV4 than the Zeus, making the Zeus sounding sparklier, and has more resolution overall. The separation ability on both are great, the AV4 having a thicker, but slick buttery notes, and the Zeus having a leaner, more precise imaging. I adore the sub-bass on AV4. :)

Compared to the Prelude, the AV4 sounds similarly warm. Note size is thicker on the AV4, due to its bass. The Prelude note size is slightly leaner, and overall presentation airier. Its separation ability is more adept. Bass is bigger on AV4, with the Prelude focusing more on timbre, and speed. Prelude has significantly less sub-bass than AV4. I really like the midrange on both. AV4 has deeper notes making it sound a bit warm, and smoother. Prelude has a clearer imaging due to its more lifted treble, and attenuation of its sub-bass.

YMMV.
How would you compare the vocal presence (intimacy, forwardness and weight) of the AV4 against the Prelude (and Zeus)? I have the Zeus XIV and I'm looking for something with similar vocal presence but with more warmth and emotions -- the AV4 sounds like it would complement the Zeus :o2smile:

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #134 of 192
How would you compare the vocal presence (intimacy, forwardness and weight) of the AV4 against the Prelude (and Zeus)? I have the Zeus XIV and I'm looking for something with similar vocal presence but with more warmth and emotions -- the AV4 sounds like it would complement the Zeus :o2smile:
IDK about the XIV, but compared to the R, the AV4 is warmer, weightier, and more laid-back in its vocal presentation. The Prelude sounds thinner in comparison, but its vocal is more agile, and lighter than AV4. The AV4 has a good sized mid-bass, that is slightly more lifted relative to its midrange, making its lower midrange and thus vocals sound denser. It also has a pretty good treble extension, and enough clarity/brightness to avoid the sound becoming too dark IMO. A good complement I'd say for someone who prefers an intimate, and more emotional vocal sound.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #135 of 192
IDK about the XIV, but compared to the R, the AV4 is warmer, weightier, and more laid-back in its vocal presentation. The Prelude sounds thinner in comparison, but its vocal is more agile, and lighter than AV4. The AV4 has a good sized mid-bass, that is slightly more lifted relative to its midrange, making its lower midrange and thus vocals sound denser. It also has a pretty good treble extension, and enough clarity/brightness to avoid the sound becoming too dark IMO. A good complement I'd say for someone who prefers an intimate, and more emotional vocal sound.
Crystal Clear! Appreciate the comparison!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back