Avantone : Pro Planar
May 4, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #1,096 of 1,500
I was trying the same, I would say the closest I tried is the Shure 1840, it crossed basically all the boxes for me, neutral sound, carrying case, good build quality. But it is 100$ more and the Avantone still has a better sound but the Shure is very close.
I would never go back to dynamics personally :)

May 7, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,098 of 1,500
@Heldaeus No Theme Review just posted the video of your mods!!!! Let's gooo
He sent me an email when he posted lol I’m so psyched.

Plus he put my headphone back in the mail today and said I should receive it by Monday :)

It’s been too long since I’ve listened to it D:

May 7, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #1,099 of 1,500
Looking forward to it.

May 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,100 of 1,500
I have some initial thoughts...

The Vesper Pads need to be tweaked or replaced with the original stock pads. The small negatives that he mentioned such as bass melding and a slight treble roll off are caused by the velour material that Vepser is using. I’m going to start with making the internal perforations larger and see where that gets me.

I’m also certain that opening up the rear vents may yield a considerable improvement in the sub-bass roll off. I have not the slightest clue what will happen to the rest of the frequency response. I am hoping that the 5.5 kHz recession will benefit from this as well.

May 7, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,101 of 1,500

The Vesper Pads need to be tweaked or replaced with the original stock pads. The small negatives that he mentioned such as bass melding and a slight treble roll off are caused by the velour material that Vepser is using. I’m going to start with making the internal perforations larger and see where that gets me.

I’m also certain that opening up the rear vents may yield a considerable improvement in the sub-bass roll off. I have not the slightest clue what will happen to the rest of the frequency response. I am hoping that the 5.5 kHz recession will benefit from this as well.
I think your Vesper pads look a bit too deep compared to the stock ones, there's a chance it impacts the frequency response. I would stick to a similar depth personally, but perforated pleather works great on my set, it helps with the subbass and speed. Never been a fan of velour pads with my headphones in general.

May 7, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,102 of 1,500
I think your Vesper pads look a bit too deep compared to the stock ones, there's a chance it impacts the frequency response. I would stick to a similar depth personally, but perforated pleather works great on my set, it helps with the subbass and speed. Never been a fan of velour pads with my headphones in general.
I will argue that depth of pads only matters in this sense if it affects the distance between your ear canal and the driver. These pads really don’t do that at all. The tips of my ears still touch the baffle same as the stock pads. The benefit to the angled pads is in their ability to create a proper seal around the back of the ear where the skull contours away. The stock ones can’t do that unless you have a really flat skull lol.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,103 of 1,500
I will argue that depth of pads only matters in this sense if it affects the distance between your ear canal and the driver. These pads really don’t do that at all. The tips of my ears still touch the baffle same as the stock pads. The benefit to the angled pads is in their ability to create a proper seal around the back of the ear where the skull contours away. The stock ones can’t do that unless you have a really flat skull lol.
Oh I see, I agree then. I had the impression they were huge in the video lol.

May 7, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #1,104 of 1,500

http://www.brentbutterworth.com/headphone-voicing.html
Here's an article on baffle modding i think you'll find useful

this was his results:
1) Changes made in front of the driver, between the driver and your ear, have a much larger effect than changes made behind the driver. (This also makes me wonder about the efficacy of using exotic materials for driver enclosures.)

2) Changes to enclosure volume and stuffing have minor effects, while changes to rear porting have greater but still relatively subtle effects.

3) Opening some of the dampers on the back of the driver can provide a useful midrange boost.

4) Adding ports on the front baffle is a precise way to make major changes in the bass response.

5) Adding soft or semi-hard damping material in front of the driver reduced both low- and high-frequency response, without affecting midrange or lower treble.

6) Adding solid material to block part of the driver is a precise way to make minor adjustments in the bass response without affecting treble.

May 7, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #1,105 of 1,500
http://www.brentbutterworth.com/headphone-voicing.html
Here's an article on baffle modding i think you'll find useful

this was his results:
1) Changes made in front of the driver, between the driver and your ear, have a much larger effect than changes made behind the driver. (This also makes me wonder about the efficacy of using exotic materials for driver enclosures.)

2) Changes to enclosure volume and stuffing have minor effects, while changes to rear porting have greater but still relatively subtle effects.

3) Opening some of the dampers on the back of the driver can provide a useful midrange boost.

4) Adding ports on the front baffle is a precise way to make major changes in the bass response.

5) Adding soft or semi-hard damping material in front of the driver reduced both low- and high-frequency response, without affecting midrange or lower treble.

6) Adding solid material to block part of the driver is a precise way to make minor adjustments in the bass response without affecting treble.
I've read that before and it's interesting. Some of these voicing techniques are contingent on more factors than described in the article but it's definitely a useful resource. Right now I'm reading Sound Reproduction, Third Edition by Floyde E. Toole and it's a great read for subjects like this.

May 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,106 of 1,500
Okay, just got my Planar back today. First thing that I've done was change the velour pads to the leather ones. I think I misjudged them. Better bass elevation and transients. Less of the treble roll off that No Theme mentioned.

Last night I was loaned a stock Planar so I can do some A/B testing. So, that's exactly what I'm gonna do lol

May 10, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,107 of 1,500
Okay, just got my Planar back today. First thing that I've done was change the velour pads to the leather ones. I think I misjudged them. Better bass elevation and transients. Less of the treble roll off that No Theme mentioned.

Last night I was loaned a stock Planar so I can do some A/B testing. So, that's exactly what I'm gonna do lol

So you sent NoTheme the wrong pads with your modded Planar? :wink: Or did you send him both?

May 10, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,108 of 1,500
So you sent NoTheme the wrong pads with your modded Planar? :wink: Or did you send him both?
Just the velours, they kinda smell weird now...

jk lol

The leathers have a more interesting sound to them. I think their staging is wider as well. They sound the same as they did before but I just felt like they were bloated sounding then. Which is why I kept them off.

May 10, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #1,109 of 1,500
Just the velours, they kinda smell weird now...

jk lol

The leathers have a more interesting sound to them. I think their staging is wider as well. They sound the same as they did before but I just felt like they were bloated sounding then. Which is why I kept them off.
Funny, maybe they became softer after some time? Just like leather shoes lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back