Avantone : Pro Planar
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #466 of 1,500
Thanks to you guys and this thread, i decided to take a chance on these. Playing now through my cell, they sound pretty good. Won't get a chance to listen to them through my Modius- Jot stack till tomorrow.

Dec 1, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #468 of 1,500
Well guys, last one. I'm sending them back Thursday. I've made one change on chain: the Soncoz LA-QXD1 has replaced my hand-soldered Gamma2 DAC, and it's a very strong improvement for my high-resolution files!

Avantone Planar vs Koss ESP/95x (with Vesper hybrid pads)

- SOUNDSTAGE and IMAGING: Despite how good the Planar is here against other headphones, the 'stats has it beaten. Those ultrawide earcups really serve the Koss well.
- MIDRANGE: The Koss midrange sounds extremely clean and precise. Guitars and vocals actually sound fantastic on these, very natural. In comparison, the Planar midrange sounds warm and a bit cavernous.
- INSTRUMENT SEPARATION: The Koss ESP/95x never sounds congested. It makes sense, since the moving part is so light.
- COMFORT : The Koss is extremely light, which makes it my favorite headphone in the summer.

+ BASS: Even with the Vesper pads, there is just more bass presence in the Planar.
+ ATTACK and SLAM: The Planar dominates here, of course. You HEAR everything on the electrostats, but you never FEEL the impact of the drums and the bass.

Conclusion: Despite the balance of +/-, the Planar actually sound like the better headphone for my genres (Metal and Rock): the lack of slam and rumble really hurt the electrostats for these genres. That said, I really prefer the Koss ESP/95x for pretty much everything else, and their lightness allows me to wear them comfortably for far longer than any other pair of headphones I own.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #469 of 1,500
Trio and DAC.jpg

The Sundara, KOSS ESP/95x, the Avantone Planar and my good old Gamma 2 DAC

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #470 of 1,500

Check this new review out!

Yes I know everyone hears differently, but when he started talking about the soundstage being "borderline mono, incredibly narrow" I was convinced about two options: either he has a faulty pair or his ears are poop. This is ridiculous LOL
The Planar's soundstage at least has a similar width as my HD650s, but more 3D and evenly spread out. I own the Fidelio X2HR and X3s, both of which are considered to have a wide soundstage, I never heard anyone say otherwise. Compared to them the Planars don't sound cramped or narrow, not even in a direct comparison. They have enough width and depth in their soundstage to be satisfying with big orchestral works, something I cannot say about the HD650s with confidence.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #472 of 1,500
Yes I know everyone hears differently, but when he started talking about the soundstage being "borderline mono, incredibly narrow" I was convinced about two options: either he has a faulty pair or his ears are poop. This is ridiculous LOL
The Planar's soundstage at least has a similar width as my HD650s, but more 3D and evenly spread out. I own the Fidelio X2HR and X3s, both of which are considered to have a wide soundstage, I never heard anyone say otherwise. Compared to them the Planars don't sound cramped or narrow, not even in a direct comparison. They have enough width and depth in their soundstage to be satisfying with big orchestral works, something I cannot say about the HD650s with confidence.
Man, I was so offended by his review not gonna lie hahha

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #473 of 1,500

I love Max Settings' reviews, highly respect him (I bought my iBasso SR-1 from him, coincidentally), but yeah, @Heldaeus told me that he had said that in that review, and we were both puzzled by that, lol, having heard @Heldaeus's set, I definitely agree that it is not anything like that at all, NOT incredibly narrow, a little bigger than the 6XX.

The only cans that I have sometimes thought, "borderline mono" are my Fostex TH-500RP, but even those aren't that bad, lol. But the Avantone is nowhere near "borderline mono, incredibly narrow."

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #474 of 1,500
I was talking to @trellus about this, to me the planar plays sounds where they’re supposed to be. Real, recorded reverberations through the planar give me a good sense of the room size.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #475 of 1,500
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #476 of 1,500
The 2018 Parametric Harman EQ is acually very nice.
Can you try this one out? If its too sibilant then turn off the filter at 10,229 Hz

Attachments

• Avantone Planar ParametricEQ.txt
    932 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #477 of 1,500
Hey y’all. Right now I’m designing

Can you try this one out? If its too sibilant then turn off the filter at 10,229 Hz
The best one I tried yet. Good one!

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #478 of 1,500
The best one I tried yet. Good one!
I'm flattered. I've made a tweak. Well, a whole new EQ but, based on the same idea of the last one.

This EQ is supposed to sound like the Planar itself but more refined.

Attachments

927 bytes · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #479 of 1,500
UPDATE:

I was able to calculate a more accurate target using exponential smoothing in Excel and this EQ is the result.

(So far I like this preset more than the other two)

Avantone Planar.png

Attachments

928 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back