Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...
Apr 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #32 of 102
Any news on when these will his Addicted to Audio in Australia?

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #33 of 102
The Sys sounds great but there's a problem --- most monitors take either XLR or TRS balanced inputs.
I would buy one of those, but an RCA version does me no good, or most people with monitors that are using a balanced DAC.
Do you have plans on making a Sys Balanced anytime soon?  This would come in handy for me since I hate that the monitors
have separate volume controls on the rears..... (not that I've had a chance to listen to my system in over a year anyway), but I'd
still want one.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #34 of 102
  The Sys sounds great but there's a problem --- most monitors take either XLR or TRS balanced inputs.
I would buy one of those, but an RCA version does me no good, or most people with monitors that are using a balanced DAC.
Do you have plans on making a Sys Balanced anytime soon?  This would come in handy for me since I hate that the monitors
have separate volume controls on the rears..... (not that I've had a chance to listen to my system in over a year anyway), but I'd
still want one.

Jason covered this on page 2. "Balanced just wouldn't fit into a Modi-sized chassis, I'm afraid (nor would, say, three inputs or outputs.) We'd have to move up to something like Bifrost, which would get very spendy for a passive preamp/switcher for balanced, especially with an Alps RK27114 4-gang pot. Think $150+. Probably not worth it."

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 102

Control Freak has one big advantage: it's available in a balanced version. We recommend them all the time for people who want to run Gungnir output into monitors or directly into amps. Of course, the Control Freak is a single-input device.

Balanced just wouldn't fit into a Modi-sized chassis, I'm afraid (nor would, say, three inputs or outputs.) We'd have to move up to something like Bifrost, which would get very spendy for a passive preamp/switcher for balanced, especially with an Alps RK27114 4-gang pot. Think $150+. Probably not worth it.

Thanks for the info Jason. Will you guys be considering putting pre-amps capabilities on future DACs so you could drive monitors directly through them? So far I see only the amps having pre-amp capabilities, including the Ragnarok (however not Yggdrasil). I really value having analog pre-amp functions in DACs for controlling monitors, like the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 or Dangerous Source.

Is there a particular reason (cost, implementation, value, goal, target audience) why you may or may not consider adding pre-amp capabilities to DACs?

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #36 of 102
Is optical out an apple product thing? I stay far away from those overpriced fashion items.

What?!?! Playstation 2/3/4, Xbox + 360/One, DVD/Blu-ray/CD/SACD players, HD cable/satilite receivers, every Macintosh since 2000 and PC motherboard sold since 2005, just to name a few devices that make use of an industry standard optical TosLink output. USB tops out at 96KHz where as optical can attain full 192KHz.

Take your assumption and distain for Apple products elsewhere please.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #37 of 102
I actually need both of these products. Awesome! All too often, these relatively simple products get overlooked.

I have a Western Digital DLNA renderer in the living room (optical out), and I frequently use my turntable with my Bottlehead Crack along with my USB Modi at my PC. I will probably order both as soon as my paycheck arrives. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #38 of 102
  I think there would be a market for an actual switching box, with say 3 inputs and 1 output. That would be fantastic.

I ordered an optical Modi, it will be hooked up to my Apple TV. I'm already enjoying my SYS!

I'm surprised there isn't a go to input/output switcher. Seems so essential on these forums especially with the rise of all the small budget products like the Schiit Modi and Magni or basically any DAC with only one output. All I want is more outputs.. Thought FIIO had one of these but can't seem to find it.

Looks like Schiit will dominate this market even more :) 
beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #39 of 102
Fiio made a limited run of their HS2 switcher. It just had 1/8" jacks, and wasn't much to look at. A schiit option would be great.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #40 of 102
Front has a 1/4" as well. For $20 with a bunch of interconnects included and a solid build quality, it was a steal. It has been invaluable for quick swap A/B/Xing gear. I wish I had picked up a second one.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #41 of 102
  Before we get into the big 2014 product releases (Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, etc, etc...), I figured I'd let you know about two new things we have available now: Modi Optical and Sys.
Modi Optical is exactly what it says: a Modi with optical input. Now, I know some of you are wondering why we've bothered with this, given the preponderance of USB these days. Well, if you have a CD player with optical out, a computer with optical out, an Apple TV or other streaming player with optical out, or an Airport Express, you're not wondering. There's a lot of optical out there too, and we wanted to give you an inexpensive way to get great sound out of your optical-output products. Hence, Modi Optical. So, now you can choose Modi with a USB input, or Modi with an optical input. Simple.
Modi Optical is $99. Available now.

All I can say is it's about time Schiit offered a Modi with S/PDIF optical input (As a USB connection bypasses sound card features).

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #42 of 102
Front has a 1/4" as well. For $20 with a bunch of interconnects included and a solid build quality, it was a steal. It has been invaluable for quick swap A/B/Xing gear. I wish I had picked up a second one.

I had two and just sold one. I need one with RCA's.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #43 of 102
Any future plan for coaxial input? Many would prefer it over optical.

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #44 of 102
Quick Question:
When I use the Asgard connected directly from my laptop, I can hear a strange tizz that gets louder when I move the mice, scroll, and similar. It goes away If I use the Laptop on battery alone.
I was wondering If I use optical Modi if that would go away :D.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #45 of 102
  Quick Question:
When I use the Asgard connected directly from my laptop, I can hear a strange tizz that gets louder when I love the mice, scroll, and similar. It goes away If I use the Laptop on battery alone.
I was wondering If I use optical Modi if that would go away :D.

Yes it probably would.  That is one of the main reasons to go with an external DAC - eliminates the noise caused by the all electronics inside the laptop.  Plus, the DACs in laptops are typically fairly poor quality, so you will get a bump in quality from that as well and get rid of the noise in the process.  Win win :)

Optical vs USB would be up to you...both should fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back