AV710, optical/stereo cable, signal loss?
Mar 7, 2006 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maestro

100+ Head-Fier
I just got an AV710 and I love it. However, I am getting a lot of line noise when connected to the rear output as described in one of the threads here. However, I believe it has nothing to do with the sound card as the noise still exists even when the card is muted.

The reason for the noise is that my receiver is 20' away from the computer and will not be moved.

Can you output through the SPID/F when in high quality mode on the card? If so, will there be problems running an optical cable 20'?

If I should just stick with what I have, does anyone recommend any good cables to use to reduce the noise?

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 5
When you say "High quality mode" I assume you mean High Resolution mode. If you output through the S/PDIF the fact if you are using "High quality mode" or not is moot. The "High quality mode" sends the signal through the superior Wolfgang DAC but the optical bypasses that all together.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 5
I'll take a stab:

No, the optical just sends (up to 96khz) whatever you play untouched to your reciever's DACs to convert. If you are, in fact, picking up a noise for some reason, it will most likely electrical interference through the stereo cable from your 1/8" jack to your reciever. If you go optical, you will eliminate that problem. The problem is finding a good 20' optical cable. For long runs like you want, definitely find a cable that uses glass fibers instead of plastic (higher quality). Unfotunately, I have not found anything reasonably priced longer than the 12' one on ebay (which is the one I have and is great!).

Here is the best I can find: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=263-896

Users who are viewing this thread

Back