AV710 High Quality (7/8 output jack) + Klipsch 4.1 headphone out = amp?
Feb 17, 2005 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MajinWu

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my A900s a few days ago. First I tried plugging them directly to my Chaintech AV-710's high quality output jack (the black one called 7/8 jack) and used Foobar to play at 96000hz and 24bit padded to 32bit with Kernel Streaming. It sounds very anemic compared to the normal output jack (green one). I could use the green one and play music at normal sampling rates, but it's not as clear as the 7/8 jack, even though the green jack has more bass). So what I did was plug my Klipsch Promedia 4.1s into the 7/8 jack (just the green plug into the black jack) and plugged the A900s into the Promedia's headphone jack. The sound is a lot fuller. Is this an amp effect? Is the quality as good as maybe a Cmoy would be through the same source?

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 3
The cmoy is better. I tried the same thing to determine what an amp would be like and the cmoy came out on top. However, my source is a soundblaster live card so YMMV.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinWu
The sound is a lot fuller. Is this an amp effect?

Yes. This is because the headphone jack on the Promedias has a circuit designed to drive headphones behind it, while the AV-710 has only a line-level output (i.e. no headphone capabilities).

Quote:

Is the quality as good as maybe a Cmoy would be through the same source?

No. Though I've heard neither the Promedia's headphone jack nor a CMOY (though I've heard its cousing the CHA47) I'd venture a guess that the CMOY would sound better, especially for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back