AV40 Upgrade for 2.1 Passive Stereo System
May 27, 2015 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

esopray

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm a brand new member of the community, although Head-Fi has been my go-to place for audio FAQ since day one. This is my first post, and I am wondering about a good set of passive desktop (monitor or bookshelf) speakers to replace my M-Audio AV40s. I recently came across a cheap subwoofer and a sub amp with speaker leads, which the AV40s aren't compatible with. Since I'm going to sell the AV40s and reinvest in unpowered speakers, my price range is going to be around 100-150. Any ideas/suggestions are hugely appreciated. Thanks!

May 28, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 8
  Hello all,

I'm a brand new member of the community, although Head-Fi has been my go-to place for audio FAQ since day one. This is my first post, and I am wondering about a good set of passive desktop (monitor or bookshelf) speakers to replace my M-Audio AV40s. I recently came across a cheap subwoofer and a sub amp with speaker leads, which the AV40s aren't compatible with. Since I'm going to sell the AV40s and reinvest in unpowered speakers, my price range is going to be around 100-150. Any ideas/suggestions are hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I believe Pioneer has some well liked speakers, in your price range ($100 - $150).
Or for even cheaper, the Dayton Audio B652, around $60 for the pair.

May 28, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 8
I believe Pioneer has some well liked speakers, in your price range ($100 - $150).
Or for even cheaper, the Dayton Audio B652, around $60 for the pair.

Thanks! I haven't had much firsthand experience with Pioneer, but I've only heard good things about them. I'm trying to max my bang for my buck, so the Daytons might not be ideal. Do you know any specific models I should check out?

May 28, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 8

Thanks! I haven't had much firsthand experience with Pioneer, but I've only heard good things about them. I'm trying to max my bang for my buck, so the Daytons might not be ideal. Do you know any specific models I should check out?

Here are the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR book shelf for $50 (pair).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405
Guess that is the best price you can find them for (new)

Dayton Audio B652-AIR, $60 (pair)
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-bookshelf-speaker-pair-with-amt-tweeter--300-651

Feel free to read up lots of reviews on the speakers I've listed, I'm not the expert, just trying to point out the best I know of.

Check the websites AVSforum and AVforum, might find some good recommendations there.

May 28, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 8
I'll be using a Dayton SA25 sub amp. My sub (unknown model) is rated at 20W, and I think the amp's speaker output is around 15W.

That sub amp will not power your speakers. The high level outputs are for pass through so you can hook up a speaker amp output to the inputs, and then connect your speakers to the outputs, thus letting the sub capture the bass audio signal.

May 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Just figured that out - damn. Are there any amps out there that do power the speakers? My AV40s can power themselves, but they're near impossible to rig up to a subwoofer.

EDIT: I ended up finding a three-way aux cable from my M100s, and was able to send one end to the AV40 and the other to the amp input, using the third jack as audio input. Not a perfect setup, but it works. Thanks to you both for the assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back