Av-40 output?
Oct 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

screwglue

100+ Head-Fier
I have had a pair of M-Audio Av-40's for about a week. I have to say, I really love them.

So I have two questions. One small one is, during silent periods I can hear this buzz sound. What is it? How can I prevent it?

The main question: Is there an output jack anywhere? I can't find any. Just the headphone jack and when I plug something in the headphone jack it mutes the speakers itself. I want to add a subwoofer to my M-Audio Av-40's because, well I'm a basshead. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 9
I used to have a pair of AV40s and I don't remember them having any outputs. To add a sub, however, you have a few options, depending mainly on what kind of sub you get. Most Velodyne subs and studio monitor subs come with outputs so you can run the signal from your source into the sub and from the sub output connect it to your speakers. If you get a sub without this feature (most don't have it) then you can simply split the signal using a Y-Adapter.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 9
My AV-40 does not have any "buzz" even if the volume's maxed out. If it's connected to a source try disconnecting to see if it's indeed the source.

Nope it does not have any output.

Love them too. Awesome powered speakers.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 9
Just before selling them I got some Monster Cables and although they're different from the Y-adapter you're looking at I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that cable (RCA to mini) and the one that came with the AV40s. This may have just been due to a shortcoming in my hearing, source, etc. Just curious, what source are you using? Switching from the headphone out of my Macbook Pro to the M-Audio FastTrack USB was the biggest improvement I saw, just throwing it out there. It's an inexpensive DAC (about $85 I believe) that makes a decent improvement in sound. I've heard complaints on non-OSX machines though.

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 9
lol yes, I have a macbook pro as my source also. I think it has to do with the power maybe? Since i unplugg the mini-rca cable from my laptop and it's still there.

I'm interested in this fastrack usb thingy lol. but I took a look and it looks to me like some sort of recording gadget? does it really help much? which model?

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh ok. I think i'm going to go with m-audio since I have m-audio speakers lol. How is the fast track pro? It's only ten dollars more at this online shop in my country. to me the description gives me the audio the pro just has more recording features.

oh and how do i run a dac? like I might've said before i have a portable headphone amp that doubles as a usb dac. The thing is i can't get it to work. the m-audio one says its compatible with mac but how do i work it? do i need some sort of software? does it work with itunes?

edit: nevermind i found some downloadable drivers on the m-audio website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back