Australians looking for HD650
Mar 18, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #31 of 62
talking about whatmough, do they have some sort of cheaper bookshelf speakers ?
im looking for something around 200 bucks..
i couldnt find any whatmough speakers though... where can we usually get them ? i think since its australian brand, then it must be cheapest here ?
to think of what 200 bucks can get you in UK compared to Aussie, its depressing...
Ive seen some earlier model of Mission (good ones) and such selling for less than 100 pounds in UK...

Mar 20, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 62
Danger... if you walk into Basement HiFi (Retravision store silencer mentioned near QVB building in Sydney) look out... its gonna cost ya!!! But it'll cost you so much less you'll be smiling.

Walked in to look, and walked out with a NAD C542. Beautiful. My wife even thinks I've done the right thing at the price these guys charged.

I "thought" I had a decent system before but the blame for the muddy bass and "ssss" type treble I put on the speaker/amp combo. Now, I am blown away. With only mid-end speakers, the NAD amp finally has a chance to show off. And show off it does. The best comparision is to say it has controlled the bass. Its acutally less intense than my old source (a dvd player) but tight and right. The treble is now about right as well. Most interesting I have now removed the bass and treble boost completely. And its sounds so much sharper with no particular frequency jutting out, if that makes sense.

The advice on these forums was always to go for the best source and now I understand... When I plugged the etys into the headphone jack (not by any means the ideal I know) I was taken aback.

And best of all I get to thank silencer for the advice!!! Hey by the way, when I was in there there was a fellow Head Fi buyer who walked up and asked for the exact same thing as I was walking out. If the kids hadn't been near exhaustion I would have gone back in for a chat...

Thanks again silencer, enjoy (oh, I saw your beautiful HD650s sitting there waiting for you... envy...).

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #33 of 62
Congrats on your NAD C542, I'll be picking mine up when I get my 650's glad to know they are sitting there waiting for me!
biggrin.gif

I have yet to go into Retravision since the flood of Head-Fi-ers have been in, so i'm interested to what they will say to me about it.

Boys and Girls as you can probably tell the lesson here is definately shop around, you'll always end up pleasantly surprised.

p.s maybe retravision will offer me some commision on all the sales they are getting now
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Walked in to look, and walked out with a NAD C542. Beautiful.

How much was the C542? Also, are there any Oz posters here as keen to get a listen to the 595 as the 650? I find my 600 too dull in the extreme treble, and from what I hear the 650 is no better. But the 595 promises to be the panacea to these Senn ills, if only I could find a shop that sells them.
Incidentally, anyone in Oz interested in the 590? JB Hi-Fi at Erina has them for $335, which is a great price. I assume all JB hi-fi stores carry the same specials.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think someone sent me a message except my browser blocks pop-ups and I never saw it. Maybe better try an email.

Mar 20, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by pp312
How much was the C542? Also, are there any Oz posters here as keen to get a listen to the 595 as the 650? I find my 600 too dull in the extreme treble, and from what I hear the 650 is no better. But the 595 promises to be the panacea to these Senn ills, if only I could find a shop that sells them.

Have you tried the 600 without the protective layer? it changes the sound quite drastically. treble extends dramatically.. ideally is in between which can be achieved by replacing the fabric.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #36 of 62
quote:

From the meier-audio site:
Senn HD 650 EUR 325,- / $ 380 outside European Community
EUR 375,- / $ 440 inside European Community

Using the currency convertor at http://xe.com
EUR325 = US$401
EUR375= US$462

So if i've interpreted the numbers correctly, people who buy using the US$ price are getting a better deal than people who buy in Euro. People inside Euroland are getting ripped as well.

The EURO-Dollar exchange rate is quite variable. I don't adapt dollar prices too often as not to confuse my customers. Sometimes dollar prices are better, sometimes it's in favour of the EURO.

People in Euroland also have to pay VAT. With lower cost headphones the difference in having to pay VAT is "compensated" by the lower shipping costs and everybody pays the same price. With high-priced headphones that doesn't work and people from inside the European Community have to pay a higher price due to the VAT. It's not me who's ripping people!

Cheers,

Jan

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #37 of 62
Good on you Jan, you provide a great service for us Aussies. I'll be getting my new cans off you shortly once I decide between the HD 650, BeyerDynamic 880 and possibly the Sen 595. And believe me compared to what we pay in Sydney you are certainly not expensive... even the great work of the legendary Silencer, in this thread, cannot compare to what you have on offer direct from Germany.

Love my etys but I would enjoy an open can with some "good" but not bloated bass for variety. Something to rival my speakers (which I just cannot use at night with the three kids bedrooms next to them... I'm trying to train them to appreciate jazz but the the three under six year olds just say "Dad I cannot sleep"... hmm could it be the 250 watt sub?).

Trouble in Australia is that getting around and sampling all of these can be a chore (and I hate to waste stores time when you cannot really test a headphone in a relaxed way in shop and I know I'll order on the internet anyway).

I did appreciate some of your comments on the new 595s which you posted on headwize. But its almost tipped me in favour of the HD 650 cans. Although the price difference is large I always end up paying more by buying twice (he he he Head Fi "itis" my wife calls it, I now know she must really love me).

.... then theirs an amp I need.

Cheers, and thanks for your input,

TonyAAA

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #38 of 62
I would just like to say that I have bought many things from Jan - and expect to buy more - and he has always been a pleasure to deal with. Shipping from Germany to Australia by post has generally been no problem (apart from one shipment which took a bit of a detour - no fault of Jan's), his prices are excellent, his amps are amongst the best out there and I recommend him to all Australian head-fiers.

Mar 21, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 62
Just been to the meier website and found the titles, pictures and descriptions of Senn headphones all jumbled so that I can't figure out what applies to what. Is this just my browser or what?

Mar 21, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by pp312
Just been to the meier website and found the titles, pictures and descriptions of Senn headphones all jumbled so that I can't figure out what applies to what. Is this just my browser or what?

I noticed it too initially (My resolution is 1280 x1024 on my 17" monitor) using IE6. However, I did not pay attention to the mention on the site there of changing text size (view-text size) and when I changed to a smaller text size all fell into place. One should not really have to do this but this solves the problem easily and quickly.

Peter

Mar 21, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by dj_mocok
the website says manufacturer/dealer. which one are the ones that the company manufacture by themselves ? not corda amps right ?

Meier Audio are the manufacturers of Corda amplifiers and dealers in the Audio Valve amplifier and accessory (impedanzer). For all the headphones they are dealers (they don't make headphones) and for cables they are generally dealers but they do make in-house an interconnect.

Peter

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by TonyTripleA

Love my etys but I would enjoy an open can with some "good" but not bloated bass for variety.

.... then theirs an amp I need

TonyAAA

what exactly are you looking for in the headphones.
a description would help in some recommendations being fired at you.
BTW if you want ety lie sound and a decent soundstage. then the DT880 is your best friend. Of course if your head size is a little large( don't take offence, serious matter to consider) then you might have some trouble (read scalp burn) with the headband. although it is quite large and comfy

as far as an amp goes i would recommend getting the Talisman T-3H , I have not heard so clear a presentation of soound even from some really high class speaker setups. this is an amazing amp for the money and even rivals the SUgden if you leave the preamp part out. It does have a brother which includes a preamp. that can be had for a little more money.
overall highly underrated and unknown .maybe someday pretty soon one of the reviewers here will get their hands on one and can then tell everyone abouut it.

cheers
kunwar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back