Austin TX meet impressions
Jan 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #48 of 64
Chris,

Thanks for all your hard work, I enjoyed the show and meeting everyone.  Yes, I will definitely will be there next year.  Your HD 800 directly out of the Nagra IVS output was unbelievable.  I have used many headphones that way but never sounded as great as the HD 800 did.  Thanks a lot, now I will have buy a pair.  It is always enjoyable to let others listen to my master tapes and to get their feedback.  Recording is passion that I enjoy.  Again thanks for putting this together. 

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #49 of 64

An outstanding write-up!

Agreed. Last year's was nice as well. Glad to see those write ups every year from someone as noteable as Martens.

I was pretty impressed by the Chord he brought as well, but I definitely got sticker told me the price.

Although, it's pretty much an all in one portable rig.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #50 of 64
Great report, guys!

Curious...did anyone listen to the HD800 from the Marantz receiver? I would really love to know how they paired.

Jan 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #51 of 64
Thanks for the meet. It was my first meet and a lot of fun. I listened to a lot of gear and met many people. I look forward to the meets in Dallas, where I won't have to drive 3 hours back and forth on that awful I-35 stretch!

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #52 of 64
Finally some impressions! Apologies for not getting the model names all correct. My notes were kinda lacking in THOSE details... sigh.

Once again, I want to start off by thanking Chris for organizing.

HD600 + Violectric (something) amp
This one is kind of hard for me to give an relative opinion because I had never listened to either. I have read online that the HD600 was a dark, intimate Sennheiser, and in that sense, I definitely heard those traits in spades. That Sennheiser "veil" (sorry, folks, I don't ever mean to go there, but I just did) is ever present, but listening to them, I'd have to say they would be wonderful in my opera collection. Vocals were wonderful and exactly what I would want to listen to Wagner's Ring cycle (all of it!)

Grado RS1i + Violectric (something) amp
I didn't personally much care for this combination. At least not with just 10 minutes of listening. To my ears, it seemed to have peaked the highs a little more than I'm comfortable with, but again, this was just a brief first impression.

Grado RS1i + That crazy magnetic tape setup + vintage Marantz amp
I give this impression complete credit to the quality of the recording, and the recorded material. Wow. The Trinity University Jazz Ensemble sounded incredible. Pretty much exactly what the RS1i's were designed for (probably). The pace and speed, and the attack, of the percussion and instruments was right in the wheel house. Immediate and clear, yet with plenty of that instrument separation that I find so intoxicating with my favorite (of mine) pair of headphones.

Grado225i + That crazy magnetic tape setup + vintage Marantz amp
Hmmm.... it's even better than the RS1i in this combination in some (a lot) of ways. The slightly muddier sound and the more compact soundstage of the lesser Grado does nothing to show off the quality of the recording compared to the RS1i, but that wall of sound that you get when the drums are hammering and the strings are plucking exemplify Grado's in-your-face presentation like few others out there can do. Just a ton of fun.

Audeze LCD-2 + Cavalli Liquid Fire
That does it. I'm going against the grain on this one from the masses. I am not a fan of the Audeze headphones. I've given them a couple shots at these events, and they just don't do it for me. The vocals on Beethoven's 9th were phenomenal, sure, but the instrumentation and presentation is pitch black, and just not my cup of coffee. But hey, that's why we're allowed to have opinions in these threads, eh? :xf_eek:)

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog + Schiit Lyr
Hats off to MrSpeakers for putting these together. For a closed headphone, these are pretty awesome. I prefer instrumental material of the Alpha Dogs to the Audeze that I had just listened to moments before. I was telling my friend that if they could harness the Alpha Dog's instruments with the LCD-2's vocals, that would be a pretty bitching combination. Also having plugged my RS1i into the Lyr, I can confidently say I really would not mind owning one of those!

Sennheiser HD650 + Bottlehead Crack/Speedball (via pupDAC)
Wow. I really very much liked this combination. Clean, powerful, no inherent flaws that I could hear on first impression. Like a nice velvet smoking jacket.

Sennheiser HD800 + Bottlehead Crack/Speedball (via pupDAC)
Holy poop. Even better than the HD650 combination. If money were dropped in my lap Breaking Bad-style, I'd probably make this one of mine.

Grado RS1i + Schiit Asgard 2 (via pupDAC)
This is remarkable sound, given the lowish price of the Asgard. For the money, the Asgard 2 may be the best performing solid state amplifier. Highs were a bit sparkly, but otherwise, that's a really nice combination without having to break the bank.

Grado RS1i + ODAC/O2 amp
To my ears, this little integrated amp sounds remarkably similar to my Modi/Fiio E09K combination. If the claims that they are measurably superior to the market average, I'd have to say that's a hell of a win for the Modi/Fiio. Absolutely nothing wrong with the ODAC/O2 - just a bit boring considering what I had already listened to throughout the morning.

Leckerton amp
I very much respect the local guy putting out a product that he absolutely believes in. And it sounds good! A little clinical and lab-developed, but hey, that's not a bad thing. My only beef with it is that the volume needs to be pretty high on my not-too-demanding Grados. I might would need to max out the volume on my inefficient Q701s, or other high-impedance headphones. Also, a really nice form factor for on-the-go listening.

Fiio E18
I had higher hopes for this little amp. Maybe I had hyped it up a bit too much in my head for the price/performance, but it just wasn't for me.

Woo Audio WA6
I. Want. One. Listening to Explosions in the Sky (go local!) was a treat on these paired with the RS1i's. Absolute treat.

Beyerdynamic T1
Solidified my opinion that these are the only Beyers that I really like. I wouldn't mind some, if they weren't $1350, hahaha. I might actually pick these over the HD800.

AKG K812
I really do like these headphones quite a lot. They present music cleanly and powerfully, similar to the HD800. They are to my Q701 as the Grado SR325 are to the SR60. Better in every way, but boy do they make you pay for it. That's the only glaring fault of the 812 - they are just damnably expensive. AKG may want to see who they are targeting on the market and reconsider the price point. I'm not the first one at the meet to make that observation.

Conclusion
So, what does all this tell you? Not much, just my humble opinions. And it also reveals that the type of equipment I tend towards is the laid back, more instrumental setup. If you have similar tastes, these words might mean more to you, and if you don't, you probably didn't even make it this far and want me to shut the hell up.

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did, and hope to see you all at the coming meet(s)! I'm glad people were able to listen to things they otherwise wouldn't be able to. Happy listening!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #53 of 64
  Great report, guys!

Curious...did anyone listen to the HD800 from the Marantz receiver? I would really love to know how they paired.

Hey Oldskool, Jesse here with the Nagras and the Marantz 2275.  Yes, I listened to the HD 800 and it sounded very nice.  But the RS1 I really liked.  I just thought the the RS1 sounded better with the live recordings.  I have a good collection of headphone but WOW the RS1 sounded so nice.  I'm torn which ones to purchase.  

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #54 of 64
  Finally some impressions! Apologies for not getting the model names all correct. My notes were kinda lacking in THOSE details... sigh.

Once again, I want to start off by thanking Chris for organizing.

HD600 + Violectric (something) amp
This one is kind of hard for me to give an relative opinion because I had never listened to either. I have read online that the HD600 was a dark, intimate Sennheiser, and in that sense, I definitely heard those traits in spades. That Sennheiser "veil" (sorry, folks, I don't ever mean to go there, but I just did) is ever present, but listening to them, I'd have to say they would be wonderful in my opera collection. Vocals were wonderful and exactly what I would want to listen to Wagner's Ring cycle (all of it!)

Grado RS1i + Violectric (something) amp
I didn't personally much care for this combination. At least not with just 10 minutes of listening. To my ears, it seemed to have peaked the highs a little more than I'm comfortable with, but again, this was just a brief first impression.

Grado RS1i + That crazy magnetic tape setup + vintage Marantz amp
I give this impression complete credit to the quality of the recording, and the recorded material. Wow. The Trinity University Jazz Ensemble sounded incredible. Pretty much exactly what the RS1i's were designed for (probably). The pace and speed, and the attack, of the percussion and instruments was right in the wheel house. Immediate and clear, yet with plenty of that instrument separation that I find so intoxicating with my favorite (of mine) pair of headphones.

Grado225i + That crazy magnetic tape setup + vintage Marantz amp
Hmmm.... it's even better than the RS1i in this combination in some (a lot) of ways. The slightly muddier sound and the more compact soundstage of the lesser Grado does nothing to show off the quality of the recording compared to the RS1i, but that wall of sound that you get when the drums are hammering and the strings are plucking exemplify Grado's in-your-face presentation like few others out there can do. Just a ton of fun.

Audeze LCD-2 + Cavalli Liquid Fire
That does it. I'm going against the grain on this one from the masses. I am not a fan of the Audeze headphones. I've given them a couple shots at these events, and they just don't do it for me. The vocals on Beethoven's 9th were phenomenal, sure, but the instrumentation and presentation is pitch black, and just not my cup of coffee. But hey, that's why we're allowed to have opinions in these threads, eh? :xf_eek:)

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog + Schiit Lyr
Hats off to MrSpeakers for putting these together. For a closed headphone, these are pretty awesome. I prefer instrumental material of the Alpha Dogs to the Audeze that I had just listened to moments before. I was telling my friend that if they could harness the Alpha Dog's instruments with the LCD-2's vocals, that would be a pretty bitching combination. Also having plugged my RS1i into the Lyr, I can confidently say I really would not mind owning one of those!

Sennheiser HD650 + Bottlehead Crack/Speedball (via pupDAC)
Wow. I really very much liked this combination. Clean, powerful, no inherent flaws that I could hear on first impression. Like a nice velvet smoking jacket.

Sennheiser HD800 + Bottlehead Crack/Speedball (via pupDAC)
Holy poop. Even better than the HD650 combination. If money were dropped in my lap Breaking Bad-style, I'd probably make this one of mine.

Grado RS1i + Schiit Asgard 2 (via pupDAC)
This is remarkable sound, given the lowish price of the Asgard. For the money, the Asgard 2 may be the best performing solid state amplifier. Highs were a bit sparkly, but otherwise, that's a really nice combination without having to break the bank.

Grado RS1i + ODAC/O2 amp
To my ears, this little integrated amp sounds remarkably similar to my Modi/Fiio E09K combination. If the claims that they are measurably superior to the market average, I'd have to say that's a hell of a win for the Modi/Fiio. Absolutely nothing wrong with the ODAC/O2 - just a bit boring considering what I had already listened to throughout the morning.

Leckerton amp
I very much respect the local guy putting out a product that he absolutely believes in. And it sounds good! A little clinical and lab-developed, but hey, that's not a bad thing. My only beef with it is that the volume needs to be pretty high on my not-too-demanding Grados. I might would need to max out the volume on my inefficient Q701s, or other high-impedance headphones. Also, a really nice form factor for on-the-go listening.

Fiio E18
I had higher hopes for this little amp. Maybe I had hyped it up a bit too much in my head for the price/performance, but it just wasn't for me.

Woo Audio WA6
I. Want. One. Listening to Explosions in the Sky (go local!) was a treat on these paired with the RS1i's. Absolute treat.

Beyerdynamic T1
Solidified my opinion that these are the only Beyers that I really like. I wouldn't mind some, if they weren't $1350, hahaha. I might actually pick these over the HD800.

AKG K812
I really do like these headphones quite a lot. They present music cleanly and powerfully, similar to the HD800. They are to my Q701 as the Grado SR325 are to the SR60. Better in every way, but boy do they make you pay for it. That's the only glaring fault of the 812 - they are just damnably expensive. AKG may want to see who they are targeting on the market and reconsider the price point. I'm not the first one at the meet to make that observation.

Conclusion
So, what does all this tell you? Not much, just my humble opinions. And it also reveals that the type of equipment I tend towards is the laid back, more instrumental setup. If you have similar tastes, these words might mean more to you, and if you don't, you probably didn't even make it this far and want me to shut the hell up.

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did, and hope to see you all at the coming meet(s)! I'm glad people were able to listen to things they otherwise wouldn't be able to. Happy listening!

Again thanks for letting me listing to your RS1, I was so impressed with those headphones.  

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #56 of 64
Jan 27, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #57 of 64
If you spring for the RS1i, the Decware Taboo is an excellent match for it. Very good synergy. "Lucid mode" gives the Grado a sense of spaciousness to the soundstage which is otherwise about the size of a frozen pea.

I tested with a Taboo MKII which was great, but the MKIII uses 6922's which usually sound better than 12ax7 types. Might be worth the splurge. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back