Austin TX meet impressions
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #16 of 64
Hi all. Got back late last night after stopping at Nick's in Dallas to let him try the stuff I had on demo. Had a good time this weekend. I'll do some impressions and stuff later. Time to get to work :frowning2:

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 64

Awesome!

Hi all. Got back late last night after stopping at Nick's in Dallas to let him try the stuff I had on demo. Had a good time this weekend. I'll do some impressions and stuff later. Time to get to work
frown.gif

So wait...who's son is that :O

also Thumps up to the father [or mother or both] that brought there kid to a Meet :D. hope he had a good time! 

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #18 of 64
I believe that was one of Patrick Sutton's (of Nice Cans) sons. I don't recall anyone else having children there.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 64
I believe that was one of Patrick Sutton's (of Nice Cans) sons. I don't recall anyone else having children there.

Good for him, 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 64
Yeah, he was upset at me because he figured he has to get his son a record player now.

That kid was glued to those jazz records. He listened to half of Waltz for Debby and part of the Cannonball blue note record in that shot.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 64
Yeah, he was upset at me because he figured he has to get his son a record player now.

That kid was glued to those jazz records. He listened to half of Waltz for Debby and part of the Cannonball blue note record in that shot.

Nice, well there's a heck of a reason to be mad at some one

truth b told, when I was his age I wandered into a old CD shop every day after school... I can't remember the name of the Jazz Album I wanted to get though... but the Shop Keep was a cool dude! 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #22 of 64

LOL!  How hip will he be when he's a teenager?

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 64
My first local/regional meet, and more than met my expectations.  I attended CanJam this past year as part/parcel of attending RMAF with a friend in Denver, but found myself ill-prepared to really get a handle on head-fi when there was so much 2-channel goodness at RMAF.  CanJam did, however, inspire me to dig into hp listening far more than I ever had before, and that led me to head-fi.org.

So, I thought I was ready for a regional meet...but I'm not sure I was.  I listened to WAY more gear than I expected--of all stripes and qualities--and met a lot of nice folks.  

Like Craig, checking out the Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball was a highlight.  Definitely something I want to investigate further specifically, but the whole "tubes" thing in general made a big impression on me for the purposes of headphone listening.  Alex Cavalli's set-up was stunning.  "If I sold my car, I could..."-type thoughts crossed my mind a couple times.

This was also a chance for me to dig into the Alpha Dog in person, and to meet Dan.  I enjoyed learning more about how the Alpha Dog concept came into being, and walked away very impressed.  

Patrick Sutton also impressed with the new LCD-XC.  

And I realized from talking with so many knowledgeable people that I have a lot to learn.  A LOT.  

Thanks, Chris, for pulling this event together, and to everyone else for showing up with enthusiasm and friendliness.  Maybe at the next meet I'll have some gear for folks to check out.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #24 of 64
Everyone, you were really great to my son Luke, aged 6, especially MorbidToaster, who totally beguiled Luke with vinyl! Woe is my wallet.

I've been trying to unlock the secrets of the AKG K812 and spent a lot of time after the show with them. New review (not a product-pumper, by the way) of same posted at the nice cans blog.

Also, on the venue front, will anyone object to next year's meet being at a conference center at a big Catholic Church campus a block from I-35 near downtown? I'm going to go check it out this week. The concern, I suppose, is with cries of "it burns! it burns!" when the holy water comes out. Maxvla, feel free to chime in here.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 64
I'll provide the obligatory (but still very genuine) big thanks to MAXVLA for putting this whole thing together and allowing me to hear all these cool and amazing things.

Question... whoever brought the reel-to-reel setup, thanks! it really blew me away. What was the recording I listened to? (I was the guy who had trouble tracking down my HD650s and then stole MAXVLA's HD800's for a minute too). It was one of the best recorded things I've ever heard, and great jazz to boot. 

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #26 of 64
  I'll provide the obligatory (but still very genuine) big thanks to MAXVLA for putting this whole thing together and allowing me to hear all these cool and amazing things.

Question... whoever brought the reel-to-reel setup, thanks! it really blew me away. What was the recording I listened to? (I was the guy who had trouble tracking down my HD650s and then stole MAXVLA's HD800's for a minute too). It was one of the best recorded things I've ever heard, and great jazz to boot. 

He said that he had recorded a San Antonio college or university (jazz ?) band concerts/performances at a minimum of two venues.  He had a sign on his table that provided more details about it.

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 64
  Most definitely, a huge thank you to Chris for organizing again. My buddy that I brought along had a good time, as well, so hopefully we will have another regular here on out.

I hope everyone was able to try the gear they were looking for. I'm sure glad I was able to try (again) the Woo WA6, multiple Schiit setups for the first time, among others. Here are some pics, while I compile some impressions notes:

What rectifier is that I have seen those tubes with the wires stemming from them (like that) but never knew what they were.. I'm quite curious, as they look awesome!

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #28 of 64

Most definitely, a huge thank you to Chris for organizing again. My buddy that I brought along had a good time, as well, so hopefully we will have another regular here on out.

I hope everyone was able to try the gear they were looking for. I'm sure glad I was able to try (again) the Woo WA6, multiple Schiit setups for the first time, among others. Here are some pics, while I compile some impressions notes:

What rectifier is that I have seen those tubes with the wires stemming from them (like that) but never knew what they were.. I'm quite curious, as they look awesome!

The tube is a 596.  I don't know much about it.  It requires an adaptor for the tube because of the pin out.  The adaptor comes with the wires which attach to the monkey ears on the 596.  You can buy all this from Woo but the 596 has become pricey.  I paid $100 but those days are gone.  It is my favorite.  Saturday afternoon, I did plug the Sophia 274B in.  It is another favorite.

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 64
Anyone tried the Aurisonic Rockets?

Jan 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #30 of 64
Aurisonics didn't make it to the meet. Conflict with travel schedule for NAMM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back