Aussies: Will you spend your cash bonus on Headphones?
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
So Kevin Rudd has announced that people/students/parents with an income of up to 80,000 dollars will receive a 950 dollar bonus. The payments are supposedly being released next month, and its "goal" is to get people spending to boost the economy.

Will you be spending any of this money on headphones?

I may finally be able to pick up my Beyerdynamic DT880's
beyersmile.png

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 29
If it is similar to the US, you have to file a tax return in order to be eligible.

If you make 0 money you would have nothing to file.

Australia may do it completely different though.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 29
Oh shiz! I didn't know about this. It sounds too good to be true...

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 29
No. Times are tough and I am happy with my rig.

Will save it for when the AUD gets stronger in the future.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 29
I'm as tudent and recently stopped working as I couldn't afford to keep working (once tax was included in the equation I was only a few $ better per hour I worked). In my mind I was better of forgoing those few dollars and studying instead (which I in fact did do).

Anyway, hopefully I get the bonus, and it'll not be going into headphones or anything else fun. rather it'll be helping pay for some of my texts (which are bloody ridiculously expensive) and paying for some of my student debt. (Maybe I'm bieng a bit harsh as I do enojy what I study, I just don't enjoy paying $110 for a text, gggrrrrrrr).

Does anyone know how you qualify, or make yourself qualify (is there a form or something similiar to fill out or if centerlink is already paying you will we just get one mamoth payement all of a sudden
smily_headphones1.gif
). Any help would be great. (one one note, I think this is a terrible way for the government to spend money as it will not in the mid-run help at all).

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdcloud69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about if your income is $0 but you're a student?

You get double the amount since you need it more.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get double the amount since you need it more.

If only.....

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how you qualify, or make yourself qualify (is there a form or something similiar to fill out or if centerlink is already paying you will we just get one mamoth payement all of a sudden
smily_headphones1.gif
). Any help would be great. (one one note, I think this is a terrible way for the government to spend money as it will not in the mid-run help at all).

If you with Centrelink it will just happen automatically with one of your payments.

Added: I think it's just to get money into the economy and is only meant to be a short term thing anyway.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

A lump-sum payment of up to $950 will be made to eligible taxpayers from April 2009. The bonus will be available to Australian resident taxpayers who paid tax in the 2007-08 financial year after taking into account available tax offsets and credits.

Damn Doesn't look like I qualify, as I was under the tax cut off ):

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 29
Hey there! It's going awesome, the NOS tubes I got for them a while ago made quite a big improvement
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back