Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Nov 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #121 of 1,320

Quote:
Different ears, different preferences - you can't change what you like and don't like.  I'm very much into natural/balanced sound (even though the two don't go together sometimes).  I personally found the SRH840 sounded a lot more natural than the SRH940 (940 to me very warm - but sweet and dry rather than dark - very coloured).

I could absolutely enjoy the 940 with female vocals, folk, jazz, and some classical.  Didn't do it for me with rock.  And eventually I want one good open can (HD600), a contrasting fun can (so far the MS1i), but I'd like one neutral closed can that will do any genre.  I may yet go back to the SRH840 - but I want to try the FA-003 first.

And to answer your above question -  you're missing nothing - congrats on the SRH940 ..... enjoy them!

My goal as well.. And I also did find the SRH840 more natural than the SRH940 but it loses clarity and "sharpness" in the process. I will!

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #122 of 1,320
AKG range should of been there today for you Nik, alas it's still on consignment. Should arrive next week.

The big Quincy!

My K601 though was stowed away in George's office , he's got it on long term loan 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #124 of 1,320

Quote:
AKG range should of been there today for you Nik, alas it's still on consignment. Should arrive next week.

The big Quincy!

My K601 though was stowed away in George's office , he's got it on long term loan 
biggrin.gif

Gwarmi - how would the K601 compare to an HD600?  Always been interested to hear something from the AKG range - but when people were describing the SRH940 and the K701 as being similar, I was put off a little.  Is the 601 much different?  

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #125 of 1,320

Quote:
Gwarmi - how would the K601 compare to an HD600?  Always been interested to hear something from the AKG range - but when people were describing the SRH940 and the K701 as being similar, I was put off a little.  Is the 601 much different?  

Quite different ~ it's the black sheep in the AKG family ~ heralded for great things and yet ultimately, ignored in
the presence of other sibling the K701 and Q701.

The K601 is the all rounder, the HD600 is it's natural nemesis from Sennheiser ~ thing is, unlike the HD600
it wants two things ~ lots power and voltage swing to really show it's true colors. A difficult thing, I almost gave
up on mine at one stage until I got the V200 and then it just all changed - big body, very full bass to my ears
and the sound stage opened up. It's perhaps a little peakier than the HD600 but it just provides a lot more
ambience ~ it's also more a detail trawler I find. Placement is much more up front than the K701, sound stage
is a bit smaller but still big when compared to other makers.

Under rated but ultimately doomed ~ few will ever jusitify the cost of the rig to unleash them.

I'll say this though ~ (It's in the K601 owners thread) some guy bought a bass heavy AKG K1000 ~ and
no he ain't selling the K601 :)

All the praise you need.

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #126 of 1,320
OK - you got me interested.

I have the NFB-12.  On my HD600's on high gain, I'm only at 9 o'clock on the pot (about 25% of what it's capable of).  Would the NFB-12 drive the K601 OK?

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #128 of 1,320

Quote:
OK - you got me interested.

I have the NFB-12.  On my HD600's on high gain, I'm only at 9 o'clock on the pot (about 25% of what it's capable of).  Would the NFB-12 drive the K601 OK?

Hmm, it should Brooko ~ you've got figures of 900mW at 100ohms, so at 120 ohms there's a tonne of power there ~ here's the catch

Audio GD won't publish the voltage figures, eg like Violectric below

Output Voltage in 100 Ohms
15,2 V 14,5 V 16,6 V 14,8 V
Output Power in 100 Ohms
2300 mW 2100 mW 2700 mW 2200 mW

The output voltage is what really determines things with the K601, imagine a K701 but even harder to drive
by about 20% or so ~ it's a difficult blend to accommodate. That said maybe the Audio GD does have the
goods but I will say this ~ The Burson 160 doesn't do a great job in my opinion.

This guy from the sales section sums it up really :-

I think it's worth the curiosity and risk Brooko!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/539862/k601-for-sale-price-drop

"I bought these from their original owner a year and a half ago. He said he used them for around 25 hours IIRC, and I've only
had them on my head for less than 10 hours total :p (plus ~50 hours of burn in). I loved these in the store where I demo-ed them,
but they're not the same on my mediocre home rig, and I can't afford to shell out for the power they need.

Very good condition, comes with the original white box w/ cardboard headstand, but not the original sleeve. I'm asking for$140
total shipped via USPS Priority inside the US, and I'm willing to ship overseas, price adjusted for shipping. PM me if you have any questions, thanks.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #129 of 1,320
Thanks Gwarmi

On my list as something to try 
wink.gif

Unfortunately no budget left this year - still buying music - but next year definitely (just to satisfy my curiousity)!  I'll keep my eye on the FS forums just in case.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #130 of 1,320

Quote:
Thanks Gwarmi

On my list as something to try 
wink.gif

Unfortunately no budget left this year - still buying music - but next year definitely (just to satisfy my curiousity)!  I'll keep my eye on the FS forums just in case.

Can't go wrong ~ they sell 2nd hang for literally nothing ~ $220AUD I reckon - rig costs aside - it makes them the biggest bargain in Head-Fi
for me.

When you consider that a 2nd hand HD650 by comparison will go for $350-$380AUD ~ it's just a laugh.

Speaking of music, how's this for pricey? Double Cd of 'Jazz at the pawnshop' - $135AUD! Ouch.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #131 of 1,320

Quote:
Speaking of music, how's this for pricey? Double Cd of 'Jazz at the pawnshop' - $135AUD! Ouch.

Big ouch on the music.  I was just shopping for bargains today - no laughing OK 
wink.gif
 ..... I'm part of the older set here (+40's) .....

$35 Kiwi for the lot - all new CDs ....

Joe Jackson - Classic Joe Jackson
Blondie - Greatest Hits
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Icon (basically has their platinum singles)
Rod Stewart - Best Of
Brooke Fraser - Albertine

Last week I managed to snag two box sets :
Mozart - The Ultimate Collection
Tchaikovsky - The Ultimate Collection

Each set was $6 for 4 discs per set.  the Tchaikovsky mastering is pretty ordinary - but the Mozart is actually really good.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #132 of 1,320

Quote:

Big ouch on the music.  I was just shopping for bargains today - no laughing OK 
wink.gif
 ..... I'm part of the older set here (+40's) .....

$35 Kiwi for the lot - all new CDs ....

Joe Jackson - Classic Joe Jackson
Blondie - Greatest Hits
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Icon (basically has their platinum singles)
Rod Stewart - Best Of
Brooke Fraser - Albertine

Last week I managed to snag two box sets :
Mozart - The Ultimate Collection
Tchaikovsky - The Ultimate Collection

Each set was $6 for 4 discs per set.  the Tchaikovsky mastering is pretty ordinary - but the Mozart is actually really good.

I got those in the last few months! Ahh, I have to have a listen at Shadowfeet again. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #133 of 1,320

Quote:
I got those in the last few months! Ahh, I have to have a listen at Shadowfeet again. 

Did you find the Tchaikovsky mastering a little thin?  Felt like I was listening to a radio - whereas the Mozart was like I was sitting in the auditorium.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #135 of 1,320

Ahh Blondie - the 80's live on down here, as I said in another thread

It's 1987 in my world every day :)

As for Mozart ~ you have to hear Linn Records Super Audio Surround Volume 3 

March K 189 - it is incredible!! Easily a top #3 reference classical demo track for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back