Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Jun 18, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,276 of 1,320
I have a head-fi adjacent question. I am hoping to setup a near field desktop setup in my office. Are there any speaker brands that one can purchase in NZ without crazy markups on the price? Or speaker brands from NZ that I might never have heard of?

I've found a few where the prices aren't that much different. I'm tempted by the KEF LS50 Wireless, or maybe the Q350s and the prices aren't that much more. But then I look at other speakers and some prices jump way up.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #1,277 of 1,320
I'm using LSR305's - love them

They're sitting on isoAcoustics stands. Perfect for my desktop.

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,279 of 1,320
Hey all,
How are we?
This place seems to have less and less Aussie involvement.

I am selling a pair of Grado RS1i and a pair of Audeze Mobius if anyone is interested.

Anyone got any tips for good cans that won’t break the bank.

I am thinking r70x or hd6xx. I really want to try the t60rp but reviews are so mixed I don’t know what to think on those.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,281 of 1,320
Open or Closed. Use is at home so doesnt matter.
Break the bank - 0-$700au

Just a change really.
But more than anything I want an all rounder.

The Grado is great but its only got a couple of tricks up its sleeve.

THe Audeze Mobius are good but just lack a bit of "authenticity" in the sound for me.

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,283 of 1,320
I really enjoyed the HD650/xx, but then made the jump to the LCD-2 and Mr speakers ethers.

I found them used for fairly good prices.

Hey there

Thanks for the suggestions.
I used the Ether C as my daily driver for about 12 months right before the flow models come out.

My very first headphone I bought when getting into this stuff were the lcd2 pre fazor. Loved them but the weight was too much for me for long sessions.

I more recently purchased the lcd2classic and loved them as the sound was familiar but without as much weight. I sold them and vowed I would not return to this hobby.

Next minute hahaha.

Looking for something new but it’s getting hard.

Have owned over the years

Sr80i that I modded with wood cups and some driver mods etc
RS1i
Senn hd650
Senn hd58x
Senn hd6xx
Mr speakers mad dog 3.2
Alpha dog
Alpha prime
Ether c
Aeon c
Lcd2 pre fazor
LCD2classic
He4xx
Shure 215se
Unique melody Merlin’s
Mentors
JH Rosie
JH7
Tralucent Ref1too
Tralucent Ref1
Koss portapro
Orivetti Basic

There are more but I can’t think off the top of my head.

There is a reason I tried to get out alive hahaha

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #1,286 of 1,320
Hello fellow Aussie head-fi’ers!

I’m new to headfi but so far loving this forum, but haven’t come across many Aussies unfortunately!

Hoping to get a recommendation from anyone that lives in Melbourne. Are there any good cable modifiers around? Looking to get a cable reterminated. I’d consider trying to do it myself but I don’t want to risk stuffing it up on expensive gear.

Thanks in advance :)

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,287 of 1,320

I’m new to headfi but so far loving this forum, but haven’t come across many Aussies unfortunately!

Hoping to get a recommendation from anyone that lives in Melbourne. Are there any good cable modifiers around? Looking to get a cable reterminated. I’d consider trying to do it myself but I don’t want to risk stuffing it up on expensive gear.

Welcome mate. There are a few of us from Melbourne here!

I'd be interested as well to hear answers to your cable woes..

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #1,289 of 1,320
Hey aussies. Selling more stuff. Thought I got out of this game but it drew me back
In lol.

Focal elear - $550 incl post and PayPal

Great condition. Some wear on the pads but otherwise great. Come with retail box etc

Ath r70x - $180 incl post and PayPal

Good condition. Made in Japan. Great sounding alternative to the hd600/650 line. Super light and comfy.

Ifi zen dac - $130 incl post and paypal

basically new but arrived with a very fine scratch on the top toward the rear.

ifi ipower 5v - $40

good cheap alternative if you don’t want to step up to LPS. Comes with adapters/barrels.

64 Audio U2 - $150

these are well used but working fine.
stock 3.5mm cable damaged (but works). Will also come with a 2.5mm balanced cable. Comes with case but no retail shell

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #1,290 of 1,320

Hi @Damz87, @White Lotus,

I suggest beginning your search at Factory Sound in South Melbourne, those guys are a great help & might be able to point you in the right direction if they can't do it for whatever reason.

Radio Parts just off Spencer Street in North Melbourne might also be able to point you in the right direction too.

Also, Carlton Audio Visual on Lygon St, Carlton might be able to help if it's a simple retermination, all you can do is ask.

I am a bit out of the cable modding/reterminating game myself otherwise I offer a hand but if I am ever back in, I will let both you know.

Hope you both have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back