Aussie & NZ Head-Fiers Corner
Nov 19, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #91 of 1,320

Quote:

Wow so they're only making 16 x LCD-3's I see? And they'll come with illustrious paperwork that shows they were all owned
by the famous and notable in headphone racing. Sounds great!

Doesn't work that way Nikp ~ anyone who's heard the big flagships or owns them will tell you $500AUD is the real
barrier where after that ~ price per performance unit becomes exponential.

The dollars go up and up and the performance becomes incrementally nuanced. Some don't even value it
depending on their tastes.

I once posed this question to a group of fairly seasoned Head-Fiers, which would you choose :-

1) AKG Q701 or K601 with any source and amp you want on the planet

or

2) LCD-2 / LCD-3 / HD-800 and a Nuforce Icon HD Dac/Amp

No offence to Nuforce owners 
smile.gif
 but you'd have to be silly to choose option #2.

I don't mean it that way. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to high end headphones (and probably never will). I may attempt a shot at it but I don't have the time / money to spare if the difference in sound quality is small. I'm just guessing the major cost on the LCD-2 was purely because it's handmade (?), exotic materials and the classic beauty that it possess.

In universal IEMs, performance exponentially increase as $ goes up to around 250-300. After that, the differences became just a matter of preference. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #93 of 1,320

Quote:

I don't mean it that way. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to high end headphones (and probably never will). I may attempt a shot at it but I don't have the time / money to spare if the difference in sound quality is small. I'm just guessing the major cost on the LCD-2 was purely because it's handmade (?), exotic materials and the classic beauty that it possess.

In universal IEMs, performance exponentially increase as $ goes up to around 250-300. After that, the differences became just a matter of preference. 

Simple ~ you're a fan at A2A, believe you're a customer too - easy just
pop into the audition room - an hour later you've tried the LCD-2, T1,
HD800, W1000X, Edition 10 - then you'll have the answer!

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #95 of 1,320

Quote:
Simple ~ you're a fan at A2A, believe you're a customer too - easy just
pop into the audition room - an hour later you've tried the LCD-2, T1,
HD800, W1000X, Edition 10 - then you'll have the answer!

Looks like I'm missing out up here...  I saw I can get to Melbourne for $85.  Maybe in a few weeks.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #96 of 1,320

It's all just unofficial speculation at this stage but I can say that there is talk afoot at A2A of an
interstate meet and demo of the LCD-3 with a range of hardware when it arrives.

It won't be a massive meet though I don't think

Nov 20, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #97 of 1,320
Subscribed 
k701smile.gif

Anyone have any idea when the next Brisbane meet is?

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #100 of 1,320
Excellent work Nikp!

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #102 of 1,320

The retailers thread is a very good idea ~ only thing is ~ how do we keep tabs on ratings?

Hmmm.. or do we just leave it as a qualitative thread ~ written words and impressions more or less

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #104 of 1,320

Anyone spoken to Nik at Audiophile (Melbourne) on whether he'll be bringing in the Grado PS500 sometime soon?

I was planning on asking him about GS1000i shipments but I thought I'd ask anyway if anyone has spoken to him
of late..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back