Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #3,437 of 3,454
The rockets are no longer manufactured nor are they supported under warranty nor is aurisonics still a company.

For all of those reasons I would go with the flares. Look for some old R2pros or go ahead and get flares pro 2 like I had they were fantastic

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #3,438 of 3,454
might as well look at Flare Audio. they are basically rockets. I've had rockets & Flares Pro. Flares are way better.
The rockets are no longer manufactured nor are they supported under warranty nor is aurisonics still a company.

For all of those reasons I would go with the flares. Look for some old R2pros or go ahead and get flares pro 2 like I had they were fantastic

Been curious about Flares for a while- every once in a while they have pretty deep discounts too, but the impressions I've read gave me the idea that Flares tended to be either kind of neutral-bright-ish or v-shaped depending on the model? (not that I mind, just speaking in terms of Rockets replacements).

I'm not up on a lot of newer IEMs but FWIW probably the Sony XBA-N3 is the closest I've found to the Rockets in terms of price-performance & recommendability, though not quite as well balanced with their sound signature (still warmish, but less neutralish + big low bass boost).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #3,439 of 3,454
Been curious about Flares for a while- every once in a while they have pretty deep discounts too, but the impressions I've read gave me the idea that Flares tended to be either kind of neutral-bright-ish or v-shaped depending on the model? (not that I mind, just speaking in terms of Rockets replacements).

I'm not up on a lot of newer IEMs but FWIW probably the Sony XBA-N3 is the closest I've found to the Rockets in terms of price-performance & recommendability, though not quite as well balanced with their sound signature (still warmish, but less neutralish + big low bass boost).
Fiio fh3

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #3,441 of 3,454
I think foam tips (Comply TS-500 in reverse) are a must for these earphones if you want the most natural sound out of them.

With every silicone tip that I've tried, including the JVC Spiral Dot, the attack of the uppermids and lower treble is too edgy/sharp sounding.

Foam tips nicely round off those edges, making them very natural.

Nov 14, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #3,443 of 3,454
So apparently rockets are now wireless.

Screenshot_20201114-214157~2.png

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #3,444 of 3,454
My rockets still look and work as new as they did back in 2012 or whenever I first got them. I use daily in bed, at my desk, when commuting, and even when chilling in nature. Haven't let me down yet, and I STILL haven't seen a better cable on any IEMs...

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #3,448 of 3,454
What's the closest alternative to the rockets that in terms of size and shape? My rockets broke a long time ago and I'm looking to replace it with something similar. If anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested.

Just reminded me I never got around to attempting recable, and can't find 'em now. I imagine they still hold up pretty well against contemporary IEMs.

Not many designs with rear-entry cables I can think of. In terms of things I've actually used, Etymotic ER series if you can find a straight cable that works with their modified MMCX socket. JVC FD7, has a straight barrel design but much wider and more of a shallow-fit IEM with side-entry cable.

Off the top of my head that I've not used: Atomic Floyd Mini-Darts (rear-entry). Tanchjim Darling and Akoustyx R2 appear to be narrow-ish side-entry. Rose Mini series. Shure Aonic 3 is quite small, sort of barrel shaped but has an angled nozzle, side entry cable.

Folks in the Discovery thread might have some suggestions.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #3,449 of 3,454
Just reminded me I never got around to attempting recable, and can't find 'em now. I imagine they still hold up pretty well against contemporary IEMs.

Not many designs with rear-entry cables I can think of. In terms of things I've actually used, Etymotic ER series if you can find a straight cable that works with their modified MMCX socket. JVC FD7, has a straight barrel design but much wider and more of a shallow-fit IEM with side-entry cable.

Off the top of my head that I've not used: Atomic Floyd Mini-Darts (rear-entry). Tanchjim Darling and Akoustyx R2 appear to be narrow-ish side-entry. Rose Mini series. Shure Aonic 3 is quite small, sort of barrel shaped but has an angled nozzle, side entry cable.

Folks in the Discovery thread might have some suggestions.
Thanks, I’ll look into those.

Jul 16, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #3,450 of 3,454
Also remembered Final Audio E-Series and F-Series. Not sure where the cable detaches on F-series but might be able to make it rear-entry with a straight cable.

(Judging by their FR measurements I'd guess E-series closer to the Aurisonics than the Etys and JVCs I mentioned, IIRC the Rockets had something of of "warm/downsloping/euphonic" type of signature).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back