Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,316 of 3,454
Hi,
Just picked up my Rockets and I have a few questions for you folks:

1) I got mine brand new. Do these benefit from burn in? Since it's a dynamic driver, I thought it might. If so in your experience, how long? And how does the sound evolve?
2) Are any of you using alternative tips with these? The default tips (the sticky ones) give me a great seal but I'm finding them physically uncomfortable in my ears after awhile because the material they're made from is more unyielding than foam or silicone. I was thinking of perhaps trying Spiral Dots.
3) I'm not sure the "anchors" (three tab thingies) do anything for me... the tabs don't touch my ears at all. Anyone else in this situation?

Thanks!

Fwiw I enjoy my pair with Spiral Dots.

If you've got tips laying around just try them :wink:

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #3,317 of 3,454
  Hi,

1) I got mine brand new. Do these benefit from burn in? Since it's a dynamic driver, I thought it might. If so in your experience, how long? And how does the sound evolve?
2) Are any of you using alternative tips with these? The default tips (the sticky ones) give me a great seal but I'm finding them physically uncomfortable in my ears after awhile because the material they're made from is more unyielding than foam or silicone. I was thinking of perhaps trying Spiral Dots.
3) I'm not sure the "anchors" (three tab thingies) do anything for me... the tabs don't touch my ears at all. Anyone else in this situation?

Thanks!

1) I can't talk about burn in as much as my pair was already saw a lot of use when I first got them.
2) Silicon tips are my favorite since the sound better when they're deep inside the ear canal.
3) They're optional, they're supposed to grab onto the grooves of the ear and help maintain the seal by relieving stress.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,318 of 3,454
  Hi,

Thanks!

I found the lower mids overpowering in the beginning, that got away after like 10 hours of burn in or so. 

Comply T-500 medium tips (without waxguard) in reverse give me the best seal/sound combo. Coupled with the HRT Microstreamer it truly is endgame sound for me.

I'm using them without the anchors, because they're not needed imo.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #3,319 of 3,454

1) I can't talk about burn in as much as my pair was already saw a lot of use when I first got them.
2) Silicon tips are my favorite since the sound better when they're deep inside the ear canal.
3) They're optional, they're supposed to grab onto the grooves of the ear and help maintain the seal by relieving stress.

Interesting about #2 - I wouldn't think these would need deep insertion but of course everyone's ears are a little different. Thanks.

I found the lower mids overpowering in the beginning, that got away after like 10 hours of burn in or so. 

Comply T-500 medium tips (without waxguard) in reverse give me the best seal/sound combo. Coupled with the HRT Microstreamer it truly is endgame sound for me.

I'm using them without the anchors, because they're not needed imo.

Very useful, thanks. I'm going to run them all night tonight and see what they sound like in the morning. I'm comparing them with my Ety ER-4P's and it's quite a different presentation; not night and day different, but different!

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #3,320 of 3,454

Interesting about #2 - I wouldn't think these would need deep insertion but of course everyone's ears are a little different. Thanks.

Actually this was according to the folks at Aurisonics(now Fender) back when I had a chance to visit the shop two years ago. It helps with the bass response and gives them a more balanced response if I remember correctly.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,321 of 3,454
Actually this was according to the folks at Aurisonics(now Fender) back when I had a chance to visit the shop two years ago. It helps with the bass response and gives them a more balanced response if I remember correctly.

I will give that a try, thank you! As I said, I find the stock, clear plastic tips to be a little too unyielding and they make my ears hurt after a while. I have been playing with the Spiral Dots, which are better. I also have a bunch of cheap silicone tips from my teenager's assorted (now discarded) earphones. Thinking of trying some of those, as well. :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #3,322 of 3,454
I will give that a try, thank you! As I said, I find the stock, clear plastic tips to be a little too unyielding and they make my ears hurt after a while. I have been playing with the Spiral Dots, which are better. I also have a bunch of cheap silicone tips from my teenager's assorted (now discarded) earphones. Thinking of trying some of those, as well. :)

I also use the spiral dots tips and I find them good enough, not much of a sound signature change compare to the stock tips but it's not sticky :D I'm thinking of trying the Spinfit tips as well.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #3,323 of 3,454
Man I got these today and holy crap these are amazing. Build on them is perfect and they are so comfortable they blow everything else I've tried away. My ear canals are usually hard to fit, but once I got the fit right I barely notice I'm wearing them.

Few questions for you guys:

• Which of the cable colors indicate left/right channel?
  • Unfortunately, all of the included tips did not fit me well at all. Luckily I found some old tip I had laying around and it fit like a charm. I don't know which earbud I had in the past with these types of tips, but I don't remember any of them fitting so well. I had Westone's and Shures in the past. Can anyone identify them? Pictures 
  • Do you think it's wise to get another pair while they are still available? It doesn't seem like any more of these are going to be made.

Thanks!

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #3,324 of 3,454
  Man I got these today and holy crap these are amazing. Build on them is perfect and they are so comfortable they blow everything else I've tried away. My ear canals are usually hard to fit, but once I got the fit right I barely notice I'm wearing them.

Few questions for you guys:

• Which of the cable colors indicate left/right channel?
  • Unfortunately, all of the included tips did not fit me well at all. Luckily I found some old tip I had laying around and it fit like a charm. I don't know which earbud I had in the past with these types of tips, but I don't remember any of them fitting so well. I had Westone's and Shures in the past. Can anyone identify them? Pictures 
  • Do you think it's wise to get another pair while they are still available? It doesn't seem like any more of these are going to be made.

Thanks!

1) Red is right, blue is left (I'm pretty sure this is a universal thing)
2) Shure have a ridiculously narrow bore (unless we are talking below SE215, in which case I have no idea), so I'd have to say Westone. (Someone feel free to correct me if those match say the SE112 or something)
3) That is up to you. I have two pairs from the kickstarter. Blue/black cable work out pair and a Silver/Black Cable with inline mic for everyday carry. I don't think these will break easily, and even if they do I am pretty sure Andy and Dale will honor the warranty/guarantee, but that will be secondary to their Fender work. Fender might even be required to honor it if they bought the contracts with Aurisonics. Considering the size of the company and the relative small amount of Rockets that made it to the wild, this is a possibility to me. However now that they are done, I feel safer knowing I have 2 pairs just in case something happens to one. These are one of my favorite sets. And they have been killer so far with longevity.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #3,325 of 3,454
So since 2 days ago, the right side of my Rockets just keeps being very loose in my right ear, no matter how good I insert them, they'll lose their seal, and the bass becomes weaker on the right side relative to the left.

The left side is perfect.

I'm using comply T-500 medium tips btw...

Because of this, I'm highy inclined to sell them...

It's a shame though, because to me they sound as close to perfect as it can.

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #3,326 of 3,454
So since 2 days ago, the right side of my Rockets just keeps being very loose in my right ear, no matter how good I insert them, they'll lose their seal, and the bass becomes weaker on the right side relative to the left.

The left side is perfect.

I'm using comply T-500 medium tips btw...

Because of this, I'm highy inclined to sell them...

It's a shame though, because to me they sound as close to perfect as it can.
Are the Complys brand new or have been used a while ?

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #3,330 of 3,454
They're brand new...

Infact, I've used 6 brand new Comply foam tips on the right earpiece, and they all just keep falling off since 2 days ago...

The left earpiece also has a new tip, but that one just stays on perfectly for hours on.

Though you've mentioned that you did not need the tri-tabs, you may want to give them a try to see if the extra "push" from them helps keep the rockets in place. Note that you can slide the tri-tabs to adjust how much you want the "push" to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back