Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2,896 of 3,454
Square wave response is pretty hard to interpret. You don't actually want a flat, perfect rectangle shape because that requires a perfectly flat FR (and that sounds terrible). There should be an initial overshoot because of the ~3KHz peak that IEMs should have.

Impulse response is even harder to interpret unless it's transformed into a FR curve or a CSD plot. Also if you look at the timescale, the entire width of the graph is only 3 ms. You aren't going to be identifying any ringing you hear in the time domain from that.

My main concern with the measurements would be that the Rockets apparently have a broad excess of about 7dB centred around 100Hz (for my taste). On the other hand a lot of people are going to prefer that sound.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,897 of 3,454
I moved from contacts to glasses and so am now trying to move away from my big cans and into better IEM's as the over ear bugs me with my glasses. I'm really interested in the Rockets for every day all around use? Right now, IE wise, I'm in a pair of QuietComfort 20i's and various base model Bose IE's. In certain situations the QC 20i is a decent IE but cumbersome.

Was thinking about trading my Sennheiser 598's / FiiO and maybe another big set for the Rockets? Most people seem to be very positive about the Rockets, though I'm a little concerned about how comfortable they are over time with how far in the ear canal they sit, and not having the inline volume is a little inconvenient but not a game changer for me.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, and tend to be hard on IE's (over the years I've blown through so many Bose IE's while still in warranty I think they got tired of me calling) so the toughness is appealing. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. Scott

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,898 of 3,454
  I moved from contacts to glasses and so am now trying to move away from my big cans and into better IEM's as the over ear bugs me with my glasses. I'm really interested in the Rockets for every day all around use? Right now, IE wise, I'm in a pair of QuietComfort 20i's and various base model Bose IE's. In certain situations the QC 20i is a decent IE but cumbersome.

Was thinking about trading my Sennheiser 598's / FiiO and maybe another big set for the Rockets? Most people seem to be very positive about the Rockets, though I'm a little concerned about how comfortable they are over time with how far in the ear canal they sit, and not having the inline volume is a little inconvenient but not a game changer for me.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, and tend to be hard on IE's (over the years I've blown through so many Bose IE's while still in warranty I think they got tired of me calling) so the toughness is appealing. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. Scott

Choose Rockets if you are looking for a super tough IEM, sound's good with every kind of musics, and non fatiguing for a long use. The stock tips is uncomfotable (confirmed by the majority here) so you can do some experiment mix matching with other IEM's tips. Isolation is good (depend on your tips), can't beat Bose QC of course. I max my Walkman's Clear Bass to eliminate the rest of outer sound.

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,899 of 3,454

Well, the Rockets are tiny and light, so they're very comfortable in the long run. You can get them with a mic/controls but I don't think that has a volume control on it. They isolate very well as far as passively-isolating IEMs go, and suit a lot of musical styles due to their overall balance.

I finally had to give up on the stock tips. Not only have did they start folding over on themselves, but they've gotten so loose that the nozzle of the earphone slides all the way through them when putting them in. Simultaneously the best and worst tips I've ever used.

But hey, gotta love that isolation they give you when the tips come off in your ears and you don't feel like digging them out in public. lol

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #2,900 of 3,454
I've been using this flexible alternative, but I also have the right angle adapter as well.   
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KE5NJ7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stocks tips never worked well with my ears, but they were better than anything else I had.  More recently, picked up a set of medium Ortofon tips and wow, now I can really appreciate the Rockets.  I can get a good seal every time and the comfort is amazing.  I had them in for 5-6 hours on Friday and enjoyed the music.  No thoughts of discomfort.  Well worth the ~$3/pair tips and 2 week delivery time from Japan.   

Quote:

That happens with my Fiio X3 as well. An adapter could solve this problem, though it is a bit annoying that you will have extra stuff to carry with you.

This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SFSIXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, the only thing is the plug is already obnoxiously large which is unfortunate.

It's is really big and it's almost a 45 degree angle instead of a 90 degree it's just weird but I guess at least it's sturdy

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,901 of 3,454
I'm using a pair of tips that came with my KC06 currently, and yowza
eek.gif
 more treble, making the Rockets sound brighter overall. I would kinda like to cut like half of the stem off the tips off so that more of the body of the IEMs goes deeper into my ear, but I'm worried that shifting the nozzle closer to the bore of the tip like that I going change this sound that I lucked in to.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #2,902 of 3,454
I'm using a pair of tips that came with my KC06 currently, and yowza:eek:  more treble, making the Rockets sound brighter overall. I would kinda like to cut like half of the stem off the tips off so that more of the body of the IEMs goes deeper into my ear, but I'm worried that shifting the nozzle closer to the bore of the tip like that I going change this sound that I lucked in to.

Can you take a pic of this tip next to the stock tip and maybe another tip, just to get an idea of shape, bore, etc?

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,903 of 3,454
Can you take a pic of this tip next to the stock tip and maybe another tip, just to get an idea of shape, bore, etc?

Don't have any stock tips with me at the moment but here's a medium KC06 tip as compared to a medium Titan 1 tip.

From left to right: KC06 medium, Rockets weird medium, Eke Comply, and a white core foam-stuffed Sony Hybrid.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,905 of 3,454
Thanks for the comments and suggestions... I did pick up a pair, and with only a few hours in them my initial impressions are that they will take a little bit of me guessing use in regards to how far I feel like I have to shove them in my ear canal to be stable, and that the soundstage from them is fantastic. Thanks again.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #2,906 of 3,454
Ok my pair finally arrived! I have to admit my frustration level was such that I was hoping I could just write them off in regards to the direction my musical tastes have gone (Z5 is my current IEM of choice so quite a different sonic signature).

But I have to admit I need to not let my frustration get in the way of enjoying a darned good IEM! These will not replace the Z5 but will be a darned good alternative with amazing mids and treble that is detailed without being fatiguing and I LOVE the isolation I am getting! These are not going to win any bass awards (quantity wise) but if I thought they were I haven't been paying attention to what Aurisonics is all about... Given what Dale is all about I can't imagine him making an IEM that hits all marks as well as the Rockets have.

Btw I am using large spiral dot tips with these versus the supplied tips and the wing thingy is also removed. Oh and the cable noise is atrocious but fortunately I have learned how to loop the cable of noisy IEMs over my ear (makes the Mic ride up almost to my ear but is still doable). Once looped the noise is almost non existent. The cable is darned solid though but I can see how it is a double edged sword.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #2,907 of 3,454
OK after a night of using the Rocket I have started to do some A/B testing between the Rocket and my Z5.

So let's address the biggest point up front, the bass is vastly different between these IEM's. The Z5 is much heavier and goes a lot deeper. so if your finding the Rockets to be bass light the Z5 would be a big improvement. But for many the opposite will be true and they will prefer the more balanced approach of the Rockets.

Outside of the bass, I am surprised that I find the midrange of the Z5 to be as forward as the Rockets but slightly warmer. Both IEMs are very engaging and detailed. The treble is more extended and detailed in the Z5 though while still being polite like the Rockets so I give the nod to the Z5 in the treble area.

The biggest area the Z5 slays the Rockets though is sound stage and 3D imaging. The Rockets are good but sound like... Well they sound like earphones where as the Z5 sounds bigger and out of head.

Isolation though is hands down better with the Rockets but unfortunately the microphonics of the cable can ruin that very quickly. Even when I wear them over ear I still am getting some rubbing noise. Its to bad too because I love the feel of the Rocket cable and I really like the blue red coloring as well.

So after this excercise I am really on the fence about keeping the Rockets. I have grown so used to the Z5 sonically speaking I just am not sure the Rockets will get the time they deserve. So I may decide to sell them rather than see them just gathering dust.

Btw I am aware I comparing a $700 IEM against a much cheaper IEM so should some what expect this result. In some ways I almost regret buying the Z5 because it has diminished my enjoyment of trying new IEMs as I now find myself simply missing the Z5 versus just enjoying the sonic uniqueness each IEM brings by itself.

I do think the Rockets are an excellent IEM though and they achieve everything Dale was wanting out of them sonically and toughness wise. I do think the desire to build the strongest IEM ever made ended up compromising the sonic experience though in the form of microphonics which is a bit of a shame. Still I have not heard to many neutrally oriented IEMs that have sounded this good and certainly not at this price point or with these types of unique physical qualities.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,908 of 3,454
OK after a night of using the Rocket I have started to do some A/B testing between the Rocket and my Z5.

So let's address the biggest point up front, the bass is vastly different between these IEM's. The Z5 is much heavier and goes a lot deeper. so if your finding the Rockets to be bass light the Z5 would be a big improvement. But for many the opposite will be true and they will prefer the more balanced approach of the Rockets.

Outside of the bass, I am surprised that I find the midrange of the Z5 to be as forward as the Rockets but slightly warmer. Both IEMs are very engaging and detailed. The treble is more extended and detailed in the Z5 though while still being polite like the Rockets so I give the nod to the Z5 in the treble area.

The biggest area the Z5 slays the Rockets though is sound stage and 3D imaging. The Rockets are good but sound like... Well they sound like earphones where as the Z5 sounds bigger and out of head.

Isolation though is hands down better with the Rockets but unfortunately the microphonics of the cable can ruin that very quickly. Even when I wear them over ear I still am getting some rubbing noise. Its to bad too because I love the feel of the Rocket cable and I really like the blue red coloring as well.

So after this excercise I am really on the fence about keeping the Rockets. I have grown so used to the Z5 sonically speaking I just am not sure the Rockets will get the time they deserve. So I may decide to sell them rather than see them just gathering dust.

Btw I am aware I comparing a $700 IEM against a much cheaper IEM so should some what expect this result. In some ways I almost regret buying the Z5 because it has diminished my enjoyment of trying new IEMs as I now find myself simply missing the Z5 versus just enjoying the sonic uniqueness each IEM brings by itself.

I do think the Rockets are an excellent IEM though and they achieve everything Dale was wanting out of them sonically and toughness wise. I do think the desire to build the strongest IEM ever made ended up compromising the sonic experience though in the form of microphonics which is a bit of a shame. Still I have not heard to many neutrally oriented IEMs that have sounded this good and certainly not at this price point or with these types of unique physical qualities.

I tend to agree with some your comments.  The cable is indeed terrible. 

But I wanted an IEM with great isolation.  I haven't been able to find something which isolates better and\or sounds as good at this price level.   Luckily for me I don't walk or move around with my IEMs, so the microphonics issue is not that big of a deal.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,909 of 3,454
My problem is my sound preferences changed from when I ordered these and I ended up going all in on the Sony flagship IEM. I am sure if I had bought Aurisonics flagship IEM I might be in the same boat with their IEM. But the Rockets really do isolate well so if a person is in your situation or if they use a shirt clip to minimize movement of the cable you would get an excellent audio experience.

To the Rockets credit as I sat here typing some posts and playing a game or two on my phone I did just get lost in my music while listening to the Rockets. So they definitely have that toe tapping quality.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #2,910 of 3,454
My problem is my sound preferences changed from when I ordered these and I ended up going all in on the Sony flagship IEM. I am sure if I had bought Aurisonics flagship IEM I might be in the same boat with their IEM. But the Rockets really do isolate well so if a person is in your situation or if they use a shirt clip to minimize movement of the cable you would get an excellent audio experience.

To the Rockets credit as I sat here typing some posts and playing a game or two on my phone I did just get lost in my music while listening to the Rockets. So they definitely have that toe tapping quality.

I've noticed that. Weren't you all about the treble before? lol 

I honestly couldn't get into the Z5 at all to be honest. The sound was way, way too colored for me. The Rockets are honestly really, really great phones, but yes, probably constrained by the use of a micro driver or maybe it's the relaxed treble, or perhaps it's a combination of both, as they can't quite convincingly portray transients as well as some of the top dogs. Still, I find their tonal accuracy to be far closer to stuff like the UERM/Angie than the Z5 which is why I sold the latter. Try listening to the Rockets for about a week or so, and then come back to the Z5. It's honestly a matter of acclimation sometimes, as our ears grow ever so used to whatever phone it is we're currently attached to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back